User Avatar Image

How Do You Feel About Telltale's Direction?

posted by Alcoremortis on - last edited - Viewed by 2.9K users

Just like the good old days, back when a simple discussion of who the best male and female users on the forum were could turn into half the people here changing their avatars to eyevatars... and still seem perfectly natural.

I miss those days.

293 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • User Avatar Image
    Jennifer Moderator

@Darth Marsden said: Again, I'd argue that the weak inventory system and lack of any truly complex puzzles mark this out as a puzzle-platformer than an actual adventure game. I'm not saying all adventure games must have a complex inventory and fantastically difficult puzzles, but they have to be at least somewhat challenging, and I never once got that from The Cave. It just felt like a platformer without any combat and some basic puzzles, and it got old very quickly.

Did you play the scientist level? I thought that level had more challenging puzzles than Telltale's latest.

• User Avatar Image
    Darth Marsden Moderator

Don't think I did. If I can bring myself to replay the game AGAIN, I'll give it a go.

• Although some elements of The Cave are reminiscent of Maniac Mansion, I don't think holding one item at a time qualifies as an inventory.

You can also pick up individual stuff in the Portal series and use them on other stuff; plus there's a story. But I wouldn't call Portal a 3D adventure game so much as a 3D puzzle platformer.

• so basically a jump button mean it's not an adventure game at all, i agree with portal though, the gameplay to me reminded me of pure puzzle games (flash style 2D games) i have played the only difference was that it was first person and i didn't rate the story telling at all in portal 1, to me is was basically non existent, i only heard there was more of a story than a broken (but funny) A.I in a testing lab from the internet

• The Cave has an inventory system? I thought you could only carry one object per person, and if you had to pick up something else, you had to drop the first thing you were carrying.

So its the one item inventory system used in Mixed-Up Mother Goose and Mixed-Up Fairy Tales

in order to not be a game, your choices would have to be arbitrary...

Actually for something to not be a game, there would have to be no choices or interactions at all. A movie is not a game, as there are no choices.

A choose your own adventure is a 'gamebook' thus a game.

See Sierra's own Slater & Charlie Go Camping which is a game, it has interactivity but actually no 'choices'. It's a kid's game. But more of an animated pop-up book. No way to die, and a narrator tells the story. The interactivity comes from the child being able to click on and discover secret animations on the screen, or interact with the text to help with reading comprehension.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FDH4cXBrpI

• User Avatar Image
    Darth Marsden Moderator

@thestalkinghead said: so basically a jump button mean it's not an adventure game at all

I wouldn't say a jump button automatically disqualifies your game from being an adventure, but if your gameplay does feature jumping as a core mechanic, then it does raise a flag.

• It definitely starts leaning it into the hybrid action-adventure genre. The question then arises how far on side does it lean?

• @BagginsKQ said: It definitely starts leaning it into the hybrid action-adventure genre. The question then arises how far on side does it lean?

It leans this far on this side.

• @Chyron8472 said: But I wouldn't call Portal a 3D adventure game so much as a 3D puzzle platformer.

I would call Portal the best game ever.

• @TomPravetz said: I would call Portal the best game ever.

Finally something we kinda agree on.
    Now let's discuss again how disappointing Portal 2 was.

Add Comment