User Avatar Image

Poor Sam

posted by Magic Emperor on - last edited - Viewed by 511 users

Everywhere on the Internet, I've read many disparaging comments about Sam. I often read stuff like, "Max is the funnier one," "Sam is boring! Why him?" and "Sam is too much of a straight man."

I seem to be late to the party, but since when was Sam considered lame? I always firmly believed that you can't have Sam & Max without, well, Sam & Max. They're both funny in different ways; to say "Sam is the unfunny one" is, to me, a load of hogwash. Believe it or not, I prefer Sam a little more than Max.

Am I the only freak who thinks this?

26 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • The game needs a straight-man to counteract the three other more insane ones. Tycho was the straight-man last time, so this follows suit.

• I agree. And what cooler straight-man than a six foot dog in a suit?

• Not to mention he'll get a Monkey Suit with the right upgrades

• Who's saying that? I'ma fight them.

Sam is probably my favorite straight-man ever. He breaks the stereotype of being the long-suffering, sarcastic, jerkish dude who just rolls his eyes at his comic foil and makes scathing remarks. Sam just rolls with anything. He's cool with whatever.

• Exactly. Sam is awesome. I love Max, but Sam is just as important. I've read these comments in places like Kotaku, Polygon, uh... I think IGN. I think GameFAQs, too. All over. Not unanimously, but enough to make me go, "Dude, give Sam credit. :c"

• User Avatar Image
    Profanity BANNED

@Magic Emperor said: Exactly. Sam is awesome. I love Max, but Sam is just as important. I've read these comments in places like Kotaku, Polygon, uh... I think IGN. I think GameFAQs, too. All over. Not unanimously, but enough to make me go, "Dude, give Sam credit. :c"

See, that's your mistake, you went to places like IGN and Kotaku!

Anyway, Sam & Max are a duo, when either of them goes solo, there's always something missing.

• What a lot of people don't seem to get is that Sam is insane. Not so much as Max, but he's just as crazy, fun-loving, and violent. Max is more child-like and cute, but Sam's awesome in his own way and for his own reasons.

Personally I love Sam more than Max, but Max is easier to draw. And I love it when they're together, their banter, and how they provide each other with punchlines.

• @crfh said: What a lot of people don't seem to get is that Sam is insane. Not so much as Max, but he's just as crazy, fun-loving, and violent. Max is more child-like and cute, but Sam's awesome in his own way and for his own reasons.

Personally I love Sam more than Max, but Max is easier to draw. And I love it when they're together, their banter, and how they provide each other with punchlines.

This exactly. Sam has the even temperament of a straight-man, but as it turns out, his impassive nature coupled with his pretty much blatant disregard for most people makes him arguably even more unpredictable than Max. You mostly just expect Max to be dangerous, but Sam is the kind of guy who will have several friendly chats with you, seem like a nice, stable person, then turn around and casually screw you over or even kill you because it benefited him in some way. Or because he felt like it. All without ever breaking that blitheness.

I have no clue how people don't think that's an awesome personality to have at a poker table.

• Interesting thing, About a year or two ago I posted a thread in the S&M part of the fourms called Sam Vs Max who do u think is better? And I think Sam has the most votes right now but I'm not sure, you can check it out if you want :)

• User Avatar Image
    puzzlebox Telltale Staff

Sam doesn't do too badly. Thankfully there was never an equivalent thread for Max.

Add Comment