User Avatar Image

TWD, AMC, Season 3... Sucked.

posted by J_Scheff on - last edited - Viewed by 536 users

Was it just me or Did season 3 suck something awful? I mean the first half was pretty cool and set it up for something sweet. The Episode Clear was one of my favorites of all time. But the finale, and Season 3 as a whole was a big let down. Nothing really happened and nothing was resolved. Not to mention the attempt to make the Governor as evil as he is in the comics was done terribly. Lots of his "evil" scenes were forced and somewhat cheesy. I am a die hard fan of TWD but just extremely disappointed.

43 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I just wrote a Walking Dead spec (which means you write the show as it exists to demonstrate your understanding of the tone, pace and characters) and it was about 50 pages of nothing happening. What do I think about The Walking Dead TV version?

If the new showrunner is the guy who brought us Clear - the first episode since the PILOT that I can say I actually like - I'll watch season 4.

• To be honest, I enjoyed Season 3 thoroughly what disgust me was how it ended... Ugh. :(

• @Drake Sigar said: Oh joy, an opportunity to rant about the show. Everyone pay attention to me. Quiet back there! Ready? Now we will begin.

The Walking Dead TV Series is horrible. Season 2 wasn't the worst because the characters had nothing to do, it was the worst because the show's writers were painfully aware they had nothing to do, and thus insisted on throwing in one moment of zombie-related tension per episode. The problem is they didn't seem to know how to do this without completely robbing the characters of basic cognitive functions, forcing you to wonder how in the blue hell these people survived in the first place. There is no greater example than the time they chuck Glenn down a well.

Please, for the sake of my sanity, somebody tell me why they shoved Glenn down a well. 'we need to save the water, it might not be contaminated' Rick says, as the fat zombie with oozing wounds paddles around doggy style. How much more freakin' contaminated can you get? How are you gonna' test it? Don't look at me, I ain't drinking zombie ass water. They then tie Glenn's safety line to a rusty old tap, instead of oh I don't know, THE BACK OF THE CARAVAN.

Season 3 started off pretty well (although for some reason T-Dog was using a spear) by having Rick straight up murder an enemy first episode. Time was he would've spent several episodes trying to make peace (Shane). But the show quickly descends into it's usual atrocious writing. The writers just can't seem to make up their minds on how to portray the Governor - dangerously troubled or cackling slasher flick villian. I was laughing when he chased Andrea, whistling a cheery tune and scraping a weapon along the wall like Freddy Krugar.

Don't even get me started on the season 2 finale. Head-shooting zombies perfectly from a car zooming along bumpy ground during midnight. Nobody in the world could pull off those shots.

Or how about Herschels infinite shotgun ammo? Or them shooting through the fence with their guns between the chain link. For a show that uses guns as much as this as a tool for basic survival you would think they would get that stuff right. But like the other guy said, its just one of those things you have to deal with. I would say the finale of season 2 is nowhere near one of the best episodes. All it is is people shooting and people dying. Clear, Days Gone By, Pretty Much Dead Already, Hounded, 18 miles out and Nebraska are great episodes for two main reasons. Character Driven, with good dialog.

And I will say season 2 is not the worst because its not the worst. Season 3 is the worst season so far. It was twice as long as season 1 and longer than season 2 and yet we started in a relatively close place to where we ended. Rick and his group at the prison, the governor and his group away from the prison. Nothing changed in season 3.

The governor was not evil enough for me. I wanted pure Evil like the comics.

• @J_Scheff said: Or how about Herschels infinite shotgun ammo?

The capacity of his shotgun is 8 shells. They just did not show recharging. I'm looking forward to the appearance of Negan in the series, I hope he will not be such as the Governor

• I don't know about you guys, but I liked it. Much better than season two. Honestly I thought it did the Prison Arc better than the comics, which was just a big ol' boring waste of time aside from the stuff with Thomas Richards and the ending (hurr let's make every other page Glenn and Maggy having sex, it'll surely keep the readers entertained!).

I liked the portrayal of the Governor much more too, much more suave and not so greasy and creepy.

• @CarScar said: I don't know about you guys, but I liked it. Much better than season two. Honestly I thought it did the Prison Arc better than the comics, which was just a big ol' boring waste of time aside from the stuff with Thomas Richards and the ending (hurr let's make every other page Glenn and Maggy having sex, it'll surely keep the readers entertained!).

I liked the portrayal of the Governor much more too, much more suave and not so greasy and creepy.

Really? That is a first, I will be honest, I would not have been upset with season 3 if they ended it right. There were a lot of things I didnt like, and a lot of pointless boring scenes where nothing, not even character development happened, but if it would have ended the way the comics had ended the prison arc, man that last episode would have made up for everything lame in season 3! Instead nothing, NOTHING, was accomplished. Bad Guy lives, Good Guys live, back to square 1.

• @J_Scheff said: Really? That is a first, I will be honest, I would not have been upset with season 3 if they ended it right. There were a lot of things I didnt like, and a lot of pointless boring scenes where nothing, not even character development happened, but if it would have ended the way the comics had ended the prison arc, man that last episode would have made up for everything lame in season 3! Instead nothing, NOTHING, was accomplished. Bad Guy lives, Good Guys live, back to square 1.

Mind you the comics were riddled with many pointless scenes as well, perhaps even more then the TV show. You don't understand how frustrating it was waiting a month for another issue only for half of the issue just being Glenn and Maggy having sex, or Carol really creepily talking about going lesbo, or Carl bitching about not having a gun. It was an extremely tedious arc that lasted forever. The ending was great, I'll give you that.

I feel the TV show was more entertaining to watch, despite the lack of progression throughout the season.

• Everyone complaining about the prison arc being a lot of slow nothing is ridiculous. The Comic Prison Arc was about a good team facing cabin fever and turning against each other. Then when they were broken, some asshole appeared and gunned them down.

The prison arc was taken out entirely and instead we just got a faceoff with a Governor that wasn't all that bad and was a political mastermind. It's a weird trade. You take out the slow burn of insanity to cut to the action quicker. But on the other side you take the guy who kicks things off with quick action ("Hi, let me cut of your arm! Har har, I'm the bad guy!") and turn his arc into a slow burn of insanity.

Here's an idea, just adapt the fucking source material. Stop taking one step away from something and putting that step somewhere else. I hate this show.

• @ZeroShoot said: I never understood the difference, but you're probably right.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AF21sihEgOU

Long and short, a magazine has a feed mechanism. Clips don't. Hell, I can't even think of a weapon used by a first or second-world military over the past 50 years or so that takes clips, unless it's being used in a ceremonial role. :p

• @Rommel49 said: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AF21sihEgOU

Long and short, a magazine has a feed mechanism. Clips don't. Hell, I can't even think of a weapon used by a first or second-world military over the past 50 years or so that takes clips, unless it's being used in a ceremonial role. :p

Oh those are clips, the things you put in your Mosin Nagant for example, I thought it was just another word for "magazine" since everyone always uses it as if it was, so I did too.

A question there: The M1 Garand had clips as well, but it was semi-automatic, didn't it have a feed mechanism then as well?

Add Comment