User Avatar Image

The "whatever's on your mind" thread

posted by GuruGuru214 on - last edited - Viewed by 199.4K users

One of the things that's great about this forum is its randomness. Well, this is the epitome of it: a thread for whatever random thought happens to be passing through your mind.

For example, I've just been struck by the most random craving for Taco Bell nachos.

38.4K Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • User Avatar Image
    Profanity BANNED

@Johro said: Yeah, like that doesn't happen in commercials, magazines, billboards, the newspaper or ANYWHERE else you look.

Peer Pressure, it's not just for high school anymore.

Funny, high school is also the place where most learn to not give a fuck and get an immunity to peer pressure.

• @GuruGuru214 said: That is awesome.

I imagine that this is what they spent their time doing when they weren't annoying Booker.

• @Profanity said: Funny, high school is also the place where most learn to not give a fuck and get an immunity to peer pressure.

Such people do actually care. They just work really hard to tell themselves that they don't.
    I used to be one of those people. Believe me, they care.

Also, tell me you and the people you know don't have a iPhone/smartphone. It seems that everyone in the country has one, regardless of the fact that it seems many people would be hard pressed to afford them when they're $50+ per phone per month.

This "I don't give a fuck" attitude is just a defense mechanism to help oneself overcome disappointment. It doesn't say anything to whether said person actually gives a fuck or not.

• Everybody cares what people think. Otherwise, unless you're the most naturally gifted, rich, attractive person around, you're not going to get laid.

• @Johro said: unless you're the most naturally gifted, rich, attractive person around

If one was, they'd care more, not less.

• @Chyron8472 said: Also, tell me you and the people you know don't have a iPhone/smartphone. It seems that everyone in the country has one, regardless of the fact that it seems many people would be hard pressed to afford them when they're $50+ per phone per month.

I don't even own a mobile phone because I'd just have no use for it.

• @Chyron8472 said: If one was, they'd care more, not less.

They'd have the luxury of being able to not care though.

• Buying a smartphone now is less about peer pressure and more about not having an alternative. It's also rapidly becoming a necessity. I was told, in my most recent lab, to take a picture of the data with my smartphone. So I went out and bought one so I could.

• My point is that I'd bet real money that most people don't have smartphones because they need them; they have them, regardless of whether they can afford them, because their friends also have them.

Why the heck else would there be lines around the block for people wanting to buy the next iPhone on day one?

• It could also be simple electronics envy. I know I've been drooling over my friend's Surface for the past month. To the extent where he's flatly told me to just go buy one of my own. Which I probably will do eventually.

This discussion has been closed.