User Avatar Image

Ash's voice actor?

posted by FlotsamX on - last edited - Viewed by 3.1K users

Who voices Ash in the Poker Night 2 trailer? Lots of people are saying it's not Bruce Campbell, but I can sorta hear him. It's been 22 years since Army of Darkness came out, after all; his voice was liable to change.

74 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Stoibs said: Well, crap. I held out some shred of hope that this could change, especially since the game has been delayed another 3 days or so recently. Although Ash's voice actor still isn't credited on the IMDB page so far, while everyone else is...

That's because everyone else has their established voice actors voicing the character so the person is already known and easily be able to be edited in by the general public. Ash's actor is pretty much unknown to everyone other than Telltale (and maybe some surrounded/connected individuals). And they have not even said or hinted at who is doing it yet. So unless they go in and edit the info in themselves, no one will know until release day.

• @BullseyeRey said: Why? Characters switch voice actors all the time. There is no reason to scrap Ash and it was probably too late to scrap it anyway.

And in the case of Biff Tannen, wasn't that because the original actor didn't want to reprise the role?

The thing is, I've always known Ash as Bruce Campbell. He's portrayed the character for so long that to suddenly hear a different voice (even though it may very well not have been TTG's fault) is jarring. Yeah, voices swap, but some impersonations are dead ringers.

Okay, I'll just be honest. I'm grumpy and unhappy. There.

• @Johro said: Ash should've been scrapped. It's going to be really distracting.

No it shouldn't have and no it won't be. Like i said, characters swap voice actors all the time. There's no reason they should scrap it him and it would be too late to do it anyway.

• Very disappointing decision. Shame.

There is still a way for TT to come out clean providing a Bruce Campbell DLC...
    The sooner you announce it, the better....

• @BullseyeRey said: No it shouldn't have and no it won't be. Like i said, characters swap voice actors all the time. There's no reason they should scrap it him and it would be too late to do it anyway.

I dont think you quite understand.

Ash has always been played by Bruce Campbell, in every single appearance where he has a voice, its been Campbell (sans the Musical, for obvious reasons)

A big part of the character is Bruce, and Bruce's voice.

• I'm going to add one last thing to this. Evil Dead has a lot of fans, doesn't it? What's to say that whoever they got to voice for him isn't a fan? Someone who realizes that people would hold them to a very high standard the moment they heard/learned it wasn't Bruce Campbell, but a sound-alike, and has done his absolute best to make sure he could match it best he could between his own talents and Telltale's voice director?

I say let's wait for the game to come out proper to judge, and give the guy a chance.

• @SN202 said: I dont think you quite understand.

No, i understand just fine. Please, don't be rude

What people need to understand is how difficult it is to get these licenses and that they can't just scrap the character if they can't get a certain voice actor.

Especially since that has never stopped them from just getting another actor/voice actor. Many characters have had different actors portray or voice them.

• Well, at least I can say, "And I thought Poker Night 1's roster was strange." That excitement can never be denied!

• @BullseyeRey said: No, i understand just fine. Please, don't be rude

What people need to understand is how difficult it is to get these licenses and that they can't just scrap the character if they can't get a certain voice actor.

Especially since that has never stopped them from just getting another actor/voice actor. Many characters have had different actors portray or voice them.

Usually, those characters never had a true defined voice.

Ash, for 34 years, has been played by ONLY Bruce Campbell, and will continue to play him in AoD2 and (if its made) Evil Dead 7. (disregarding the musical for obvious reasons)

Im not saying to scrap him, im saying that "oh its just a switch stop complaining" is dumb.

Because it is a big deal.

• It's a voice in a $5 poker game. No it isn't. :^)

Would I have loved to hear Michael J. Fox reprise Marty McFly? Sure! Would I have loved to hear Bill Farmer and Nick Jameson reprise Sam and Max? Heck yeah! Did it stop me from enjoying those games? Not even a little bit.

Do I think I can enjoy hearing Ash banter with Brock Samson, EVEN if it's not Bruce as Ash? Yeah. I'll get over it. Am I going to get my $5 out of this purchase? Yes I will.

Add Comment