User Avatar Image

The Newly Regenerated Doctor Who Thread

posted by Friar on - last edited - Viewed by 22.7K users

So, Christmas is approaching, and with it a brand new Doctor who episode, and seeing as it's no longer series 5, I thought it would be time for a new, more generalised Doctor who thread!

For those who are new to the series, It features a humanoid Alien (timelord) called the Doctor, who travels in time and space in the TARDIS. He's the last of his race, and when he dies, he regenerates into a new person (up to 13 times). So far he has done so 11 times, with the current, 11th doctor being Matt Smith.
the11doctors.png

To kick things off, here's a trailer for the new Doctor who ipod/iphone/ipad/android game: The mazes of time!

4.1K Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • What no discussion of last night's Britain's Got Talent?

• Surprising as it was one of the best episodes in a long time, just let down by the rushed in Alien Love at the end, but everything before it was awesome.

• My favorite webcomic (The Ten Doctors, which I've posted here a few times) explains it that the Eye of Harmony in the TARDIS was connected to the one on Gallifrey. With Gallifrey gone... well, doesn't work anymore.

And actually, in the comic, nine of the ten Doctors all end up in the same time, seven of whom get stranded because without that connection anymore, their TARDIS's are nonfunctional. Doctors Nine and Ten are fine because Nine repurposed the emergency power storage into a collector which they could park over a dimensional rift (giving a reason as to why he keeps going back to Cardiff) to recharge.

Of course, Doctor Four just wants to nab the Hand of Omega that Doctor One is carrying and make a new Eye of Harmony, but nobody wants to blow up a star to do it.

• Feel the need to repost this every time I'm reminded of it
    tumblr_mlonf8HCky1qcejybo3_400.png

• They've announced the 50th anniversary DVD release; it is a book with DVD inserts featuring The Tenth Planet, The War Games, Planet of the Spiders, Logopolis, the Caves of Androzani, Time and the Rani, Doctor Who, Bad Wolf, The Parting of the Ways, and the End of Time. It has a very striking cover and looks like a great package for anyone who doesn't collect all the classic releases:
    cover.jpg
    Regeneration_Cover-2.jpg

• User Avatar Image
    Darth Marsden Moderator

Couldn't care less about the DVDs, but that book looks interesting. Is there more info about what's in it?

• @Darth Marsden said: Couldn't care less about the DVDs, but that book looks interesting. Is there more info about what's in it?

Right from the announcement:
    The Doctor Who Regeneration set is an individually numbered, beautifully packaged, coffee table album including six DVDs of Doctor Who adventures – including fan favourites like The Caves of Androzani and The End of Time, plus an advance release of the First Doctor’s final adventure The Tenth Planet.

The set is adorned with superb photography from across the era and features detailed and informative accounts of each regeneration. The collection features each Doctor’s iconic regeneration episode; from the First Doctor played by William Hartnell, exhausted after battling the Cybermen to Jon Pertwee’s Third Doctor suffering from radiation that had been unleashed by the Great One; and from the spectacular transformation of the Ninth Doctor to David Tennant’s emotional farewell as the Tenth.

It's out in June for the relatively very affordable (compared to the fact most classic Who is £10 a piece) price of £43 (of course likely to drop down to high £30 range given how these things work.

• I'll probably get it, but I'm a little concerned about it only being 6 discs for 10 serials. Afterall, they couldn't even put The End of Time two parter on the same disc as eachother for that release. So it'll either be quite compressed and missing all bonus features of the DVDs, or only feature the actual regeneration episodes, rather than the whole story arcs.

Add Comment