User Avatar Image

The Kickstarter thread

posted by Darth Marsden on - last edited - Viewed by 15.7K users

Since there's probably going to be a fair few Kickstarter projects that aren't done by Tim Schafer, I thought it might be nice to start a separate thread for all the little games on Kickstarter that don't get as much exposure.

For example: Feeble's Fable: The Legend of Runes by Atomic Chimp Games. Another point-and-click adventure game, but this one is going for more of a cute and charming feel. It definitely looks interesting, though they've nowhere near the backing they need. :(

And another: Americana Dawn by one guy, Max K. Lambert. It's a freeware retro-styled RPG about the French & Indian War and the American War for Independence. Kickstarter page is a little bare (he doesn't actually say what he needs the money for, for one), but it looks like an awesome game.

So let's see what other Kickstarter projects you think is worth shining a little light on!

1.1K Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Johro said: The knock-off SNES packaging is interesting... in a not-putting-my-money-where-my-mouth-is sort of way.

...mais, je déteste l'accent québécois.

I've already backed it and was on my way to confess this fact.

Vain, please slap my wrist.

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

@Darth Marsden said: I've already backed it and was on my way to confess this fact.

Darth, I am honestly and deeply disappointed in you. How could you back such a project?! Pixel art is nothing but evidence of artistic incapacity. You don't give 70,000 bucks to people like that. With 7,000 and a week of free time, they should be all set. No backer should give them more than two dollars.

@Darth Marsden said: Vain, please slap my wrist.

....like that? :o

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

Nope. That's not the way I roll. :o

• Hey, did anyone mention there was a Jagged Alliance game on Kickstarter?

No? Well, there's a Jagged Alliance game on Kickstarter.

The latest news is... well, I'll let them tell you.
    [Quote]We'd like to announce that we have entered a partnership with Humble Bundle, to distribute a limited Jagged Alliance Classics Pack, in English and optimized for Windows 7, only available through the Jagged Alliance: Flashback Kickstarter.[/Quote]This is the original Jagged Alliance, Jagged Alliance: Deadly Games, Jagged Alliance 2 and Jagged Alliance 2: Unfinished Business, AKA the good games in the series.

The best part? This pack is available to everyone who pledges $5 or more. $5 for 4 classic games? Sounds like a winner.

(And for the record, the lowest pledge for the new game is $25)

• So, uh, did you guys want a sequel to Eternal Darkness?

Well, Shadow of the Eternals is a spiritual sequel by Precursor Games (made from the remains of Silicon Knights) and is the nearest thing we'll ever get, and as you probably guessed since I'm posting it in the Kickstarter thread, they're going the crowdfunding route.

The game is taking an episodic form, with the first season (!) consisting of 12 episodes. The lowest tier required to get all 12 episodes is $50, which prices this out of my budget.

Note that this isn't actually on either Kickstarter or IndieGoGo - they're doing it themselves because they're not based in the UK or US, though they're using a very similar method to the ones KS & IGG use.

And yes Vain, they're offering a DRM-Free PC version.

• There are a LOT of very good reasons to be cautious about this one.

• @Darth Marsden said: So, uh, did you guys want a sequel to Eternal Darkness?

Well, Shadow of the Eternals is a spiritual sequel by Precursor Games (made from the remains of Silicon Knights) and is the nearest thing we'll ever get, and as you probably guessed since I'm posting it in the Kickstarter thread, they're going the crowdfunding route.

@Darth Marsden said: There are a LOT of very good reasons to be cautious about this one.

Indeed.

1 - There's no guarantee you'll get your money back if the drive fails. Originally, their page said:Precursor Games is under no obligation to complete the Game, or in the event completion is impossible, return any of the donations it has received.Though presumably someone told them this was a stupid, stupid idea and it's since been changed to:We are committed to making this game, however, if it becomes apparent that we cannot raise enough to develop this project then we will refund all pledges....yeah.

2 - Precursor Games is formed from the remnants of Silicon Knights, and we all know how THEY went down.

3 - PC and WiiU? I smell gimmicks.

4 - Denis Dyack is involved. I trust the man as much as I can bench him.

5 - $1.5 Million? That's... that's a lot.

6 - There is NO Point 6.

7 - No Poofters.

Also, is it just me or does a video game developer called Precursor Games sound like they should be making Jak & Daxter games, not spiritual sequels to games they couldn't possibly hope to recapture the magic fo-

...wait.

Add Comment