User Avatar Image

The "whatever's on your mind" thread

posted by GuruGuru214 on - last edited - Viewed by 139.8K users

One of the things that's great about this forum is its randomness. Well, this is the epitome of it: a thread for whatever random thought happens to be passing through your mind.

For example, I've just been struck by the most random craving for Taco Bell nachos.

38.4K Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @WarpSpeed said: If they offered free beer to intelligent people, and you're intelligent, how much beer can you drink before you no longer qualify?

From spending a fair amount of time drinking various types of alcohol with incredibly intelligent people (perhaps some of the smartest in the world), I can say that intellect doesn't really change. Just the willingness to talk about awkward subjects. Or subjects that nobody wants to hear about.

I know when I start getting tipsy, I start talking about how neurons work. Or electron microscopes.

• @Alcoremortis said: From spending a fair amount of time drinking various types of alcohol with incredibly intelligent people (perhaps some of the smartest in the world), I can say that intellect doesn't really change. Just the willingness to talk about awkward subjects. Or subjects that nobody wants to hear about.

I know when I start getting tipsy, I start talking about how neurons work. Or electron microscopes.

This. I start discussing genetic futures and stem cell applications.

Common sense is more likely to vanish than intelligence.

• Potted many plants today. Including wormwood and juniper!

• @Alcoremortis said: I know when I start getting tipsy, I start talking about how neurons work.

Or perhaps how alcohol influences how neurons work?

@Alcoremortis said: Potted many plants today. Including wormwood and juniper!

Ooh, absinthe! :D

• Attn: Secret Fawful

I may be asking you questions about AGS soon.

• @WarpSpeed said: Or perhaps how alcohol influences how neurons work?

I've actually found discussing science while drunk to be a common occurrence among scientists. Actually, I've found drinking in general to be fairly common among scientists.

I've gone to more bars in the last few months than I ever did in my entire life before.

• @Alcoremortis said: I've actually found discussing science while drunk to be a common occurrence among scientists. Actually, I've found drinking in general to be fairly common among scientists.

I've gone to more bars in the last few months than I ever did in my entire life before.

Intelligent people drink. Evolutionary psychology says it's because of risk taking behavior.

• @vf8170 said: When your brain is on over drive from thinking too much, people either get depressed, tired, or down. Some people drink to calm down the nervous system and the brain. People use alcohol as a numbing mechanism. How is drinking a risk taking behavior?

I should put it more as a 'novel seeking behavior'. Drinking alcohol is a novel human experience in the scope of evolution, a recent introduction to the human experience. Intelligence and novel seeking behavior are correlative and it applies to alcohol consumption. There's no such thing as universals but there are correlatives.

• Serious question here.

I've started using Sony Vegas Movie Maker, since I'm fed up of my old editing software fucking up whenever I try to use still images. And so far, I've found nothing but frustration and tedium.

The big question I have right now is - how can I insert a section of a video or audio file (a 20 second clip, for example) without having to make it a subclip and then dropping that into the timeline?

I used to be able to do this in my old program without a problem, but for the life of me I can't find a simple way of doing it here. I can use the video trimmer to set the in and out points, but then... why can't I just drop that specific section of the audio/video file into the timeline? This seems needlessly complex!

EDIT: Hang on, what's this 'Add Media Up to Cursor' button do...

...oh. Well. Never mind.

EDIT 2: OK, new question. I've got video files of extreme length (between 10 minutes and TWO HOURS), which makes it a bit of a pain to view in the video trimmer. Is there any way I can zoom in on the timeline in the video editor so I can pinpoint the exact clips I need?

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

@DAISHI said: Attn: Secret Fawful

I may be asking you questions about AGS soon.

Hrmmmmm. What resolution do they support these days?

This discussion has been closed.