User Avatar Image

Make it Multiplayer Oh please...

posted by dak1ne on - last edited - Viewed by 590 users

C'mon you know that if poker night is multiplayer everybody will want to play and share this game, this would be really amazing and i think it's quite easy to do, even with the possibility to create a lobby or join one randomly like on left 4 dead.
I really hope the next episode or even this one (after an update) will be multiplayer !

30 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • User Avatar Image
    Darth Marsden Moderator

@Gman5852 said: But no one is going to listen to [the dialogue if multiplayer was a feature]. Defeating the point of having these characters.

Also, this game would probably be a financial nightmare if they have to get the licences for all of these franchises, get the voice actors, code the game, update the engine/graphics(as shown with Sam's new model), advertise the game, submit this game to the consoles, and THEN top it off by having to figure out multiplayer servers(which aren't cheap), create the remixed music for everything, all for a $5 poker game which gets split between Telltale, Valve, 2K games, Adult Swim(or whatever makes Venture Bros), and the guys behind Evildead.

I'm pretty sure they want to make some money off of this game.

Pretty much this.

Now quit asking, you entitled little peons. :p

• @Hudomonkey said: If it had multiplayer it would be a generic poker game...

Please explain how it would make it generic or diminish the quality of your singleplayer experience. I'm very interested, please elaborate. (I'm waiting)

And i'm pretty sure adopting a P2P system for MP and doing the matchmaking via Steam would be pretty affordable. And why not make that a 1$ DLC?

• @Xaromir said: Please explain how it would make it generic or diminish the quality of your singleplayer experience. I'm very interested, please elaborate. (I'm waiting)

What would be the point of just adding a multiplayer mode into a game about playing poker with 'A list' celebrities from video games

The multiplayer would just be poker and there are plenty of other poker games and it would lose the charm of the AI or buying drinks etc online and if you want an online poker game I'm sure you could get one really cheap this just isn't and shouldn't be one

• You didn't answer the question. As someone who apparently doesn't care for multiplayer - how would this affect your singleplayer experience? Who says that this feature has to touch any of the SP part? I don't get it.

It's a good game, and it would be fun if the characters would be "playable" in MP.

• @Xaromir said: You didn't answer the question. As someone who apparently doesn't care for multiplayer - how would this affect your singleplayer experience? Who says that this feature has to touch any of the SP part? I don't get it.

I do like multiplayer but I don't want Telltale to make the game focused on Multiplayer or to waste precious time and resources adding a feature which discounts many features of the game and may make the rest of the game look bad.

I remember when Bioshock 2 added Multiplayer because it was the most requested thing of Bioshock 1 and the multiplayer was completely awful and I would rather tellatle spent Time coming up with more great ideas of drinking or Charcters like Max chatting even though he isn't gambling.
    What would the multiplayer be Poker but with people picking their characters?
    The moment multiplayer is added just as a feature it may just bump up the price, costs and make the game look less well polished just like Bioshock 2...

• @Xaromir said:
    It's a good game, and it would be fun if the characters would be "playable" in MP.

Also I'm not Sam, I'm no claptrap
    telltale went to the effort of creating Tells, AI and even went to the effort of changing it if you buy them a drink
    Half the charm would be lost in multiplayer

• Bioshock 2 has a Metascore of 88, was generally very well received, and it's critically acclaimed, Poker also is traditionally multiplayer, while Bioshock used to be strictly a singleplayer experience. I keep mentioning that i would pay for it if MP came as a DLC, so i don't get the whole "waste of resources" argument either, maybe it would even generate more money from people who buy it so they can play with friends or people gifting it to friends.

After you've figured out the AI characters it's going to get boring, which isn't that much of an issue at 5€, but MP could keep it fresh for longer.

• It's single player because it's literally you against these iconic/familiar, memorable characters. Adding another player or making them play as one of the others makes the game lose the point of its entire concept. You're better of playing a different game, or just getting together with friends and roleplaying it.

• Telltale have never made anything mutiplayer. Their thing is good characters and stories, and characters is why they've made the poker games. For them to make a multiplayer version would be something that they've never publicly done before and isn't what they want to do.

There are already plenty of options when it comes to online multiplayer poker but there aren't many that focus on a set of characters playing the game. You say that adding multiplayer wouldn't detract from the core game but it would and in ways you wouldn't necessarily expect.

In short I and many other people don't see the point in Telltale devoting time and effort into doing something many other companies have already done especially when it's not something they are necessarily experienced at.

In the end all a multiplayer version of this would be is people using the characters just as avatars. Now that would be a waste of resources for Telltales.

• @Raelser said: It's single player because it's literally you against these iconic/familiar, memorable characters. Adding another player or making them play as one of the others makes the game lose the point of its entire concept. You're better of playing a different game, or just getting together with friends and roleplaying it.

You still could play the regular singleplayer. What's your point?

Add Comment