User Avatar Image

Different Voice Actor for Max in PN2?

posted by Tora Newton Y. on - last edited - Viewed by 1.6K users

As I was playing Poker Night 2 tonight, I noticed Max sounded a little different. Of course I thought he still sounded like Max (from the rest of the Telltale Sam & Max games), so I just figured it was something like William Kasten hadn't done the voice for a while.

But when I checked the credits I noticed that Max isn't voiced by William Kasten (his regular voice actor for the Telltale games) in PN2. He's voiced by someone named Dave Boat.

While it's admittedly rather impressive that I didn't realize it was a different voice actor until I checked (props to Mr. Boat there) it makes me wonder why Max is voiced by someone else, while Sam is still voiced by David Nowlin.

So why isn't Mr. Kasten voicing Max in PN2?

43 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Whatever the reason, the new guy is pretty good. I didn't even notice the difference. The Ash guy isn't bad either, though you definitely notice he's not Bruce.

• What the hell, Max has had a voice change to? Telltale really don't give a crap about Sam & Max anymore, just keep using them in small games like this to force money out of us Sam & Max fans.

• @Scnew said: Whatever the reason, the new guy is pretty good. I didn't even notice the difference. The Ash guy isn't bad either, though you definitely notice he's not Bruce.

Yeah, Max isn't bad at all.

Although that may be because there's two different guys voicing him?

They have both David Boat credited along with William Kasten as Max. So either they're both doing dialogue at some point, or one of those is a working name?

Now, I have to disagree with you on Ash.

This "Danny Webber" guy is a poor stand-in. Not even an attempt to impersonate Bruce. Really grates on my nerves, so...happy that (so far) he's been one of the first out of the hands I've played.

• Seriously? Maybe it was just a mistake in the credits, i didn't thought anyone could impersonate Max just as well as William.

• Maybe it's just the same guy with two different names.

• @lattsam said: Maybe it's just the same guy with two different names.

That's what I thought. Or, William Kasten did most of the voice, but wasn't available for retakes. Not sure if that's legal though, so I'm gonna go with the working name theory.

• @Ash735 said: What the hell, Max has had a voice change to? Telltale really don't give a crap about Sam & Max anymore, just keep using them in small games like this to force money out of us Sam & Max fans.

Yep. They don't care at aaaallll. That is totally why they went the extra mile to get the best look a like possible and gave sam a role in this game. To get $5 out of us. CLEARRLLY that is why. :rolleyes:

• It's kinda funny, because years ago, when Dave Boat played Paste Pot Pete/The Trapster in the Super Hero Squad Show, I actually thought he WAS Kasten until I checked the credits. It's uncanny how similar the two sound.

• Max did sound different, but I thought it was just the actor making his voice a little more scratchy than usual. It's amazing how similar two people can sound.

I think Ash sounds fine too. I keep comparing him to Bruce's voice on Burn Notice and honestly I think Danny Webber just sounds like a younger and slightly deeper Sam Axe. For a game with some wonky casting, Telltale definitely turned out good results.

• I did notice Max sounding a little deeper, I actually like it better that way. He sounds kind of all the Max voices fused together.

Add Comment