User Avatar Image

Poker night 2 cheats outrageously

posted by CrazyGoNuts on - last edited - Viewed by 12.5K users

The odds against what the computer is getting is so astronomical I can only assume it is cheating. I lose every showdown no matter what the odds are - as an example, I went up against one of the computers with a hand that had the same high card and a higher low card, such as

Ace - king

and the computer had

ace - 2

and then on the flop there were two 2's. This happened literally 3 times in a row (not aces and twos every time, but we both had the same high card and I had a better low). Then the very next hand one of the cpus went blind all in before the flop and got a royal flush. I have played poker for many years and I've never seen anyone get a royal flush before, getting it blind is ridiculous. I played one tournament where I lost 9 showdowns in a row where my "chances" were over 75% before the flop.

Why would anyone ever want to play a poker game that cheats? What is wrong with you, telltale?

93 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @CrazyGoNuts said: I have played poker for many years and I've never seen anyone get a royal flush before

I got two royal flushes in 2005. I also saw at least one other person get a royal flush in either 2005 or 2006. Oddly enough, according to my old poker journal, both of the times that I got a royal, I didn't notice it was a royal until after the hand was over.

• @CrazyGoNuts said: The odds against what the computer is getting is so astronomical I can only assume it is cheating. I lose every showdown no matter what the odds are - as an example, I went up against one of the computers with a hand that had the same high card and a higher low card, such as

Ace - king

and the computer had

ace - 2

and then on the flop there were two 2's. This happened literally 3 times in a row (not aces and twos every time, but we both had the same high card and I had a better low). Then the very next hand one of the cpus went blind all in before the flop and got a royal flush. I have played poker for many years and I've never seen anyone get a royal flush before, getting it blind is ridiculous. I played one tournament where I lost 9 showdowns in a row where my "chances" were over 75% before the flop.

Why would anyone ever want to play a poker game that cheats? What is wrong with you, telltale?

It's not cheating. The game has no motivation to cheat! Why would we write cheating code into a game which is only fun when it's authentic? There's no money on the line, only unlocks which we want you to have. No cheating, I promise.

So, questions/notes: 1) Were you playing Omaha or Texas Hold'em? 2) Start uploading screenshots if you're convinced that you're being cheated, so we can see what's up.

• CrazyGoNuts

Why hello there fellow Steam Community Hub member!

• User Avatar Image
    Profanity BANNED

@Jake said: It's not cheating. The game has no motivation to cheat! Why would we write cheating code into a game which is only fun when it's authentic? There's no money on the line, only unlocks which we want you to have. No cheating, I promise.

So, questions/notes: 1) Were you playing Omaha or Texas Hold'em? 2) Start uploading screenshots if you're convinced that you're being cheated, so we can see what's up.

I gotta say, at first it looked like the computer was a bit cheaty, but then I got used to it and just started playing smarter.

But this coupled with the unskippable lines that you've heard a million times, the slow menus, the once again prolonged outros, because you can't skip even if you've heard and seen it shitloads of times and the increased (fairly or unfairly) difficulty couples into one idea that the devs are trying to stretch the time sunk into the game by the players. I mean, really, unskippable lines? Why? Especially when GLaDOS spouts the same two lines every time you even think about pressing something.

• Yeah, sometimes it feels like the cards are stacked. Look at what happened to me recently:
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=141943307

Normally things like that happen maybe once in a blue moon, but things like that happen suspiciously often in PN2, not always against the player i will admit, but look at that:
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=141631870

Stacking the cards in any way defeats the purpose of random chance, but if they say it's not then i'm willing to believe them. (As it indeed doesn't make a whole lot of sense.)

• @Jake said: It's not cheating. The game has no motivation to cheat! Why would we write cheating code into a game which is only fun when it's authentic? There's no money on the line, only unlocks which we want you to have. No cheating, I promise.

Jake, I came to the forum (first time poster) to post something about this. First off, I love you guys and think you do one hell of a job and what you do. I wish that was the first thing I came to your forum to say, I would much prefer that. However, I came here to look and see what other people were saying first.

I started playing this game yesterday. A buddy of mine treated me to it since I love Claptrap and Brock. I am by no means a poker champ, I kind of suck at it. However, it isn't my skill that frustrates me. I already know I suck balls playing it. The frustration comes from the wildly improbable things I am seeing that I have actually started tracking. I don't like it coming, "from the gut," I prefer having actual statistics to back it up. While I won't say you guys programmed the game to cheat as that would be utterly ridiculous, perhaps the coding is doing something unexpected.

I have numbers to backup 65 games that I have played. That is after I played anywhere from 75-125 games on my XBOX. I started tracking it because I was noticing an alarming trend, in a showdown scenario the NPC I was playing against was getting the EXACT card they needed like it was magical bullshit. My wife heard me cursing thinking it was just me being an ass or a sore loser. She stuck around eating her lunch and was noticing exactly what I was getting mad about without me pointing it out. I let the table play their game even if I folded. For the most part the hands they were playing and winning with were consistently a pair of high cards, or two pair. Sometimes it'd be a three of a kind or even rarer was a full house, but it was very rare.

However, when I would go ahead and play my hand, the hands they were winning with went up in quality dramatically. I wrote it off for a while as just being chance, but the odds of what was going on seemed to be very, very odd. Once I began tracking the hands for each character (as much as I could should they not fold) it blew my mind. Nearly every time if a showdown situation came to pass, I lost. I started analyzing it and was forcing the situations to see what cards they would draw. A staggering 3 out of 8 times a showdown came up, they pulled the EXACT card they required to win. They began to consistently beat me with flushes, straights, even a straight flush. I would be happy thinking, "SWEET, I got a 3 of a kind," only to see them pull out a full house or higher; while if they were going at it after I folded they had nothing better than two pair over 90% of the time. Oftentimes they were actually down to less than 20% probability to win before pulling it out entirely to beat me with that last card.

I am still tracking the numbers and compiling the statistics that I can and would be more than happy to share them with you guys. I don't think you created the game to cheat. That just seems kind of stupid to do and it doesn't make any sense. However, I am either pathetically unlucky (which I won't rule out) or there is something going on which I am not qualified to identify. Please don't think I am just a whiny chump trying to justify my lack of winning with you making a poor game. I actually love the game despite the improbability of some of the hands I have witnessed. I would just like to find out if there is some type of issue causing the problem.

Sincerely,
    A huge fan (not huge as in physical, rather in terms of of my admiration of your product)

• User Avatar Image
    Profanity BANNED

@maestropendejo said:
    Sincerely,
    A huge fan (not huge as in physical, rather in terms of of my admiration of your product)

Aww man, how will you make them look into it if they don't think a mountain 'o man is gonna come for them.

Quick, tell them you know someone huge!

• @Profanity said: Aww man, how will you make them look into it if they don't think a mountain 'o man is gonna come for them.

Quick, tell them you know someone huge!

Oh shit. Good point.

I retract my previous goodwill statement. I know this guy, and he IS HUGE, like Gregor Clegane on steroids. He owes me money. The debt will only be repaid in your blood. Yeah. That sounds cool. I will stick with that.

• In all seriousness though, I just went back to my game. It went to a showdown with Claptrap and I. He got his hand dealt and went all in. As soon as the flop was being thrown he got a three of a kind. This wouldn't be too odd, except for the fact I decided to hit the HOME button and reload the game three times. Each time I did, he managed to get a three of a kind. Each. Time. This time I got a three of a kind with eights. He got his three of a kind with jacks. The thing is, he went all in a jack, an ace, a nine, and a five, all different suits. He then managed to get a three of a kind after the initial flop and the fourth card being flipped.

If it is random, what are the chances that after quitting and returning he would still get a three of a kind like he did?

• @maestropendejo said: In all seriousness though, I just went back to my game. It went to a showdown with Claptrap and I. He got his hand dealt and went all in. As soon as the flop was being thrown he got a three of a kind. This wouldn't be too odd, except for the fact I decided to hit the HOME button and reload the game three times. Each time I did, he managed to get a three of a kind. Each. Time. This time I got a three of a kind with eights. He got his three of a kind with jacks. The thing is, he went all in a jack, an ace, a nine, and a five, all different suits. He then managed to get a three of a kind after the initial flop and the fourth card being flipped.

If it is random, what are the chances that after quitting and returning he would still get a three of a kind like he did?

Make that four times he went all in, and managed to pull out a three of a kind once the last card was flipped. I had a probability of 78% to win then it dropped to nothing. And on number five, he went all in. I had a straight from the first three cards on the flop until the last card gave him a flush.

Add Comment