User Avatar Image

Would you kill Vernon?

posted by HarjKS on - last edited - Viewed by 983 users

If in Season 2 you had the choice whether or not to murder Vernon would you do it?

I would as he decided not to tell the group about the horde (indirectly causing Ben, Kenny, Lee's and possibly Christa, Omids and Mollys deaths). He stole the boat, and he was just a d*** in general even considering to kill Lee when they had just met.

But would you kill him or let him live?

87 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @DreadMagus said: LOL - yeah, no kidding. I was set to kill Ben, and TTG threw me a curve. lol

Now I don't have the heart to do it.

I guess that makes me a monster then...with a smile.. :rolleyes:

• I wouldn't kill Vernon. Instead, I'd test out this new 9-iron I found!

• Killing Vernon would probably be the easiest decision I'd have to make in the next game if the choice appears. He screwed over Lee's group in the last episode so there's no way I'd let him live any longer than the game forces him on you...partly for revenge and partly because I don't want to wait for him to screw over the new group.

• The plan to take the boat was based on cold pragmatism, but it's worth remembering that Vernon was the only one of his group who wasn't against helping Lee out of the sewers and offering medical aid before he even knew about them actually having a boat.

• Vernon's decision to take the boat while I was out searching for Clementine with the rest of the group was really shocking to me. He helped me get back to the mansion when I fled into the sewers and he also treated Omid. He didn't owe me any reason to do those things. The trip to Crawford was mutually beneficial to both Lee and Vernon's group.

The horde we brought with us to Savannah put Vernon in a tight spot though and I can understand why he planned to steal the boat. With Brie gone, his group was down to just four people. That leaves an extra space for the boat. I'm sure that's why he offered Lee to take Clementine. I told him I'd think about it and my Lee never got into any heated words with him. I still think Vernon is a good guy, I believe he felt bad about abandoning us in Savannah. The apocalypse seems to slowly tear away at your humanity and force you to become pragmatic. Even he's aware of it and I'm sure it upsets him, you get a sense of that when he talks about Brie's death.

So given all that, I don't think I'd have it in me kill him personally. I'd possibly abandon him if we were in danger, I don't know. I can be merciful to people like Ben, who never meant to hurt anyone, despite his stupid decisions. However, Vernon knew damn well that he was sentencing us to death by taking that boat, not even warning us of the approaching horde. That's hard to forgive. This whole post is mute if it turns out the main character of Season 2 is somebody who never experienced this betrayal from Vernon though. For that reason, I almost feel like it's better that they don't have him appear at all.

• Also to the people saying he only did it for 'his group' yes you've just made the pro-kill Vernon argument easier to handle. He did it for 'his group' so I'm going to kill him for 'my group' and if you say "What if we play as Clementine, she never knew Vernon did this." It's called dramatic irony- I still want Vernon dead.

• @HarjKS said: Also to the people saying he only did it for 'his group' yes you've just made the pro-kill Vernon argument easier to handle. He did it for 'his group' so I'm going to kill him for 'my group' and if you say "What if we play as Clementine, she never knew Vernon did this." It's called dramatic irony- I still want Vernon dead.

Ditto, though I wouldn't be surprised if he ended up dead anyway. He has what, four people, two of which need constant care (and could croak and thus reanimate at any time). Hell, it'd be a miracle if they even got the boat to the water (of course, they somehow overwhelm and beat the crap out of an armed group of relatively young folk that can potentially equal them in numbers, damned cancer magic).

• @HarjKS said: Also to the people saying he only did it for 'his group' yes you've just made the pro-kill Vernon argument easier to handle. He did it for 'his group' so I'm going to kill him for 'my group' and if you say "What if we play as Clementine, she never knew Vernon did this." It's called dramatic irony- I still want Vernon dead.

Saying you'd be willing to pragmatically rob or abandon him as karma is one thing, but killing Vernon for revenge's sake isn't really doing anything for your group.

I doubt that we'll see his group again, but I'd have to see the circumstances involved before making any decisions if we did.

• His cancer magic sounds a lot more useful than Lee's invisible wall magic. Maybe Vernon was the one making invisible walls and caused Lee to get bit! I sense a conspiracy...

I'm betting he made it out onto the water just before the herd hit the riverfront and got away. Then he screwed something up, or maybe Ben had touched the boat earlier while he and Kenny were working on it, thus ensuring its destruction. Either way, due to user error or the Ben Effect, Vernon gets stranded on land again. If we find him in Season 2, the others would probably be dead and it will be Vernon alone and in need of help. Seeing as the circumstance in Savannah were a tad desperate, I'll wait to see what he does if we see him again.

Regardless of what he does, I'd like to give him a good punch to the gut for what he put Lee and co. through after he stranded them in that dead city.

• @Mikejames said: Saying you'd be willing to pragmatically rob or abandon him as karma is one thing, but killing Vernon for revenge's sake isn't really doing anything for your group.

I doubt that we'll see his group again, but I'd have to see the circumstances involved before making any decisions if we did.

Well, if he betrayed one group for his own benefit, odds are he'll do it again(should the opportunity arise). Eliminating Vernon will help your group because it prevents him from backstabbing you just like he did with Lee. A preemptive attack, if you will. It's not the best reason, but it's there.

Add Comment