User Avatar Image

Black screen on launch

posted by Mariusds on - last edited - Viewed by 822 users

Hi, I've tried all sorts of solution. From the basics of restarting steam and my computer to deleting everything that has to do with the Walking Dead before re-installing it. Either way I just get a black screen when the game launches. Just black - nothing, and I have to CMD+alt+escape my way out. The game worked throughout episode 1-3. Was in the middle of episode 4 it suddenly would not start up again.

Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core i7
Memory 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
Graphics AMD Radeon HD 6770M 1024 MB
Software Mac OS X Lion 10.7.5 (11G63)

24 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator

You have multiple active prefs.prop files.
    Please try renaming the prefs.prop in the folder below to prefs.prop.bak to deactivate it.

/Users/mariusdalseg/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/The Walking Dead/TheWalkingDead.app/Contents/Resources/Pack/WalkingDead103/

• User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator

When exactly do you get the black screen?
    Do you get to see the menu and load a certain save slot?

• Ok - once again I made sure that every single Walking Dead File was deleted from my Mac. Nothing left. Downloaded the game and installed it over again. And I still get the black screen on launch.

Edit: The game does not open at all. All I get is a black screen.

• User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator

That's strange. Please run the support tool again, so i can see the current status.

• User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator

The savegame folder is still there. It is possible that something in there is broken.
    You can test that by renaming/moving the TheWalkingDead folder from
    /Users/mariusdalseg/Library/Application Support/Telltale Games/TheWalkingDead

• Still doesn't work, but there pops up a new folder with a new preps.prof file everytime I try to open the game. The new Walking Dead folder (application support/telltalegames/walkingdead) also contains a SyncFs folder with three empty folders within it (see attached screenshots).

I just tried installing the game directly on my external hard drive, but with no luck. I've also disabled the Steam Cloud Synchronisation to make sure it doesn't download files that might have been corrupted earlier.

I am seriously lost. Any help?

• User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator

It is normal, that the savegame folder gets recreated the way you noticed.

I am not sure why the game doesn't start anymore.

I have noticed though, that you have two graphics chips:

AMD Radeon HD 6770M
    Intel HD Graphics 3000

Is there a chance that the game tries to run on the Intel graphics and fails?

• I don't know, maybe.

How can I check that and if it is so - How do I force the game to run on the AMD Radeon?

Edit: Still freaking nothing. The Mac is now telling me that it is using the AMD card, but I still get a black screen after pressing play in Steam.

Add Comment