User Avatar Image

Black screen on launch

posted by Mariusds on - last edited - Viewed by 774 users

Hi, I've tried all sorts of solution. From the basics of restarting steam and my computer to deleting everything that has to do with the Walking Dead before re-installing it. Either way I just get a black screen when the game launches. Just black - nothing, and I have to CMD+alt+escape my way out. The game worked throughout episode 1-3. Was in the middle of episode 4 it suddenly would not start up again.

Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core i7
Memory 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
Graphics AMD Radeon HD 6770M 1024 MB
Software Mac OS X Lion 10.7.5 (11G63)

24 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator

I'm not a Mac expert, but i think it should work as described here.

• Tried that solution just now. Didn't work.

• User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator

What happens if you press Command + F during the black screen?

• Nothing. I get the usual "dmph" sound you get when your mac is telling you that this action does not work.

• User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator

I don't see what causes it.
    One last thing you can try is creating a second user account on your Mac and try starting the game there.

• Well that worked, but now I've encountered another problem. The game seems to have forgotten my choices from e1 and e2 when I'm starting episode 3.

• User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator

@Mariusds said: Well that worked, but now I've encountered another problem. The game seems to have forgotten my choices from e1 and e2 when I'm starting episode 3.

That's good.

The new account has it's own savegame folder, therefore it can't access your previous saves.

At least now we know it's something in your old account that stops the game from working.

Back in your original account, you could try moving the .plist files which start with "com.telltalegames" or similar from
    /Users/mariusdalseg/Library/Preferences
    to your desktop to make them unavailable for the game.

• Ok. I'll see if it helps. However I started the game all over on the new account. So I played through both episode 1 and 2, before starting on episode 3. That was when I discovered that one person who clearly should not be alive still was going strong, while another one was gone. My choice concerning Lily's dad was also changed.

• User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator

@Mariusds said: Ok. I'll see if it helps. However I started the game all over on the new account. So I played through both episode 1 and 2, before starting on episode 3. That was when I discovered that one person who clearly should not be alive still was going strong, while another one was gone. My choice concerning Lily's dad was also changed.

If you run the support tool on the new account i can look if there's a multiple prefs.prop issue again.

• I went back into the game to see if I could figure out what exactly is the problem, and it seems to me that the game is not saving whatever is happening from the last checkpoint in Episode 2.

If I leave the game after completing episode 2, the episode will no longer be completed next time I launch the game. I will have to walk from the farm and find the car with the supplies all over again.

I've also (logically) tried to continue to episode three directly afterwards, but it does not help. When I go back to the menu I will no longer be able to see the stats from the second episode, only the continue button that wants me to do the last part over again.

Add Comment