User Avatar Image

Different Voice Actor for Max in PN2?

posted by Tora Newton Y. on - last edited - Viewed by 1.9K users

As I was playing Poker Night 2 tonight, I noticed Max sounded a little different. Of course I thought he still sounded like Max (from the rest of the Telltale Sam & Max games), so I just figured it was something like William Kasten hadn't done the voice for a while.

But when I checked the credits I noticed that Max isn't voiced by William Kasten (his regular voice actor for the Telltale games) in PN2. He's voiced by someone named Dave Boat.

While it's admittedly rather impressive that I didn't realize it was a different voice actor until I checked (props to Mr. Boat there) it makes me wonder why Max is voiced by someone else, while Sam is still voiced by David Nowlin.

So why isn't Mr. Kasten voicing Max in PN2?

43 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Zaka51 said: I think Ash sounds fine too. I keep comparing him to Bruce's voice on Burn Notice and honestly I think Danny Webber just sounds like a younger and slightly deeper Sam Axe.

OH!! So that's why the name sounded familiar! I get the joke now!!

Hint: Wait for the conversation about Sam's choice in weapons.

• @Gman5852 said: Yep. They don't care at aaaallll. That is totally why they went the extra mile to get the best look a like possible and gave sam a role in this game. To get $5 out of us. CLEARRLLY that is why. :rolleyes:

If they got the best LOOK a like then I really want to see a pic of the VA. :p

• man, I just realised something.

Dave Boat is the same guy that played the antiques dealer in Monkey Island 2, special edition. And whenever I heard that guy speak, I thought "oh, must be William Kasten, sounds exactly the same as Max." I literally couldn't listen to his dialogue without a mental image of Max acting out the lines. Then when I checked the credits, and saw he was credited as "Dave Boat" I thought "Oh, great, I guess Telltale have a great second option if something ever happens to William Kasten."

Then this happens. Good job telltale. Unless "Dave Boat" is an alternate name for William Kasten, in which case it all makes sense now, you couldn't have played this one better.

• @Ash735 said: What the hell, Max has had a voice change to? Telltale really don't give a crap about Sam & Max anymore, just keep using them in small games like this to force money out of us Sam & Max fans.

You can't honestly tell me that this is a serious post.

If anything, the changes to the characters indicate a new season more than anything else.

• @The Gentleman said: If anything, the changes to the characters indicate a new season more than anything else.

How would THAT indicate a new season?

• @Falanca said: How would THAT indicate a new season?

If they have new models and voice actors you would expect that it would be just for a poker game...

• @Hudomonkey said: If they have new models and voice actors you would expect that it would be just for a poker game...

Like how they made models (presumably from scratch) and/or got voice actors for Brock, Ash, and previously, Tycho?

If that's the logic we're using, updating Sam & Max's models would have been a walk in the park in comparison. Don't get me wrong, I want a S&M Season 4 just as much as everyone else around here, but let's not count our chickens before they hatch.

• @Omegabegin said: Like how they made models (presumably from scratch) and/or got voice actors for Brock, Ash, and previously, Tycho?

If that's the logic we're using, updating Sam & Max's models would have been a walk in the park in comparison. Don't get me wrong, I want a S&M Season 4 just as much as everyone else around here, but let's not count our chickens before they hatch.

Yes but they didn't have to update their character models and could have easily used their old models...
    If nothing else they are giving a bit of love and care to Sam and Max
    Did Max or Strong Bad get new Character models for PN1?

• @Hudomonkey said: Yes but they didn't have to update their character models and could have easily used their old models...
    If nothing else they are giving a bit of love and care to Sam and Max
    Did Max or Strong Bad get new Character models for PN1?

I'm pretty sure PN1 Max was taken straight from Season 3, and Strong Bad from his Telltale game series (which I forget the name of right now). Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Tycho's model was the only one that got a lot of work done on it.

And it's true enough that they didn't have to update Sam's and Max's models - though I have to wonder if Sam would have looked a tad dated next to Ash and Claptrap, it probably would've worked well enough. I'm glad they did, though. I love Sam's new model (even if I do miss Max's pink nose :c).

• I am clutching at straws but Sam and Max season 4...
    I m going to keep being optimistic until Sam and Max is moved into classics...

Add Comment