User Avatar Image

Pirating Games: Good Gods, Read This

posted by DAISHI on - last edited - Viewed by 750 users

http://www.greenheartgames.com/2013/04/29/what-happens-when-pirates-play-a-game-development-simulator-and-then-go-bankrupt-because-of-piracy/

Over 93.6% of players stole the game. We know this because our game contains some code to send anonymous-usage data to our server. Nothing unusual or harmful. Heaps of games/apps do this and we use it to better understand how the game is played. It’s absolutely anonymous and you are covered by our privacy policy. Anyway, the cracked version has a separate ID so I can separate the data. I’m sure some of the players have firewalls and some will play offline therefore the actual number of players for the cracked version is likely much higher.

41 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Chyron8472 said: So what you're saying is that this is perhaps not just an experiment in piracy, but also a publicity stunt?

It clearly was but I've seen worse in my time. This one hurt no one, didn't spread panic in a whole userbase and still was covered all over gaming media. Plus a few youtube reviews / livestreams to reach even more people.

I hope this torrent still exists. Since it is an official one there should be no guilt involved. I personally think the pirate version sounds a lot better than the normal one.

• @der_ketzer said: It clearly was but I've seen worse in my time. This one hurt no one, didn't spread panic in a whole userbase and still was covered all over gaming media. Plus a few youtube reviews / livestreams to reach even more people.

I hope this torrent still exists. Since it is an official one there should be no guilt involved. I personally think the pirate version sounds a lot better than the normal one.

I'd just want to see if the cut is proportional or if it's a set value that gets larger each game you make. With how easy I found the game, it might be interesting to attempt to "out-profit" the developers at their own anti-piracy measures.

• Maybe they should offer the pirate version as a free legal download. I'd definitely play that.

• we are in a generation where buying a digital product is a choice, and that choice is separate from the choice of consuming the product.

they should be happy people actually torrented it and tried it because you know you game sucks when people won't even play it for free, try before you buy and personal recommendations from people that have pirated it will get loads more sales than if nobody pirated it.

this is exactly the type of game that playing it will be the way to tell if you like the game, and they sabotaged that themselves, nobody will recommend a broken game.

blaming poor sales on piracy is a defence mechanism that ignores the fact that you may have made a game that sucks.

anyway i can't even be bothered to pirate this game to try it out because the pirate version will probably be the broken one so i'm not gonna buy it either.

• @thestalkinghead said: we are in a generation where buying a digital product is a choice, and that choice is separate from the choice of consuming the product.

they should be happy people actually torrented it and tried it because you know you game sucks when people won't even play it for free, try before you buy and personal recommendations from people that have pirated it will get loads more sales than if nobody pirated it.

this is exactly the type of game that playing it will be the way to tell if you like the game, and they sabotaged that themselves, nobody will recommend a broken game.

blaming poor sales on piracy is a defence mechanism that ignores the fact that you may have made a game that sucks.

anyway i can't even be bothered to pirate this game to try it out because the pirate version will probably be the broken one so i'm not gonna buy it either.

That's why they have a demo. The point is for people to try it out and actually buy it if they like what they played, not to go and play the rest for free.

Also, it seems like they did pretty well for themselves when it was a Windows 8 app store exclusive. It's still pretty good, just maybe not as good as the original app in some aspects, while better in others.

• it doesn't seem like the game where a demo would work, anyway in my opinion they have a bad attitude so i will skip it

• @thestalkinghead said: it doesn't seem like the game where a demo would work, anyway in my opinion they have a bad attitude so i will skip it

They have a bad attitude for not letting people play their full game for free? I'm having trouble seeing your reasoning here.

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

@Vainamoinen said: They said it's your right to install on three machines, they did not say the game is able to enforce that.

@Vainamoinen said: I have confirmed that the "three-computer limit" is completely false.

Read my posts! They're full of wisdom. :o

The game is DRM free, you can use it on up to three of your computers for your own use

That of course means: You are allowed to install the game on three of your computers at the same time. This is a simple EULA thing. No activation, no activation limits, nothing.

• @Vainamoinen said: Read my posts! They're full of wisdom. :o

I saw that, and I backed it up by actually proving it.

• @RingmasterJ5 said: They have a bad attitude for not letting people play their full game for free? I'm having trouble seeing your reasoning here.

Doubly so considering they do let people play for free, such as when the developer leaked his own game onto torrent sites

Add Comment