User Avatar Image

Different Voice Actor for Max in PN2?

posted by Tora Newton Y. on - last edited - Viewed by 928 users

As I was playing Poker Night 2 tonight, I noticed Max sounded a little different. Of course I thought he still sounded like Max (from the rest of the Telltale Sam & Max games), so I just figured it was something like William Kasten hadn't done the voice for a while.

But when I checked the credits I noticed that Max isn't voiced by William Kasten (his regular voice actor for the Telltale games) in PN2. He's voiced by someone named Dave Boat.

While it's admittedly rather impressive that I didn't realize it was a different voice actor until I checked (props to Mr. Boat there) it makes me wonder why Max is voiced by someone else, while Sam is still voiced by David Nowlin.

So why isn't Mr. Kasten voicing Max in PN2?

43 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Well, it is true that we have never seen Boat and Kasten in the same room...

• @Dedlok said: Well, it is true that we have never seen Boat and Kasten in the same room...

Or at all.

• Huh. I downloaded the PSN trial and the first words out of Max's mouth made me go 'damn, they changed the voice actor'.

Are there lines where he sounds closer?

• I think he's genuinely spot on until he has to stretch out his vowels, then there's a really notable difference.

There's been some thought that it's actually the same guy under an alias, but it's been a few years and I wouldn't be surprised if he's forgotten what exact pitch he uses when he voices Max.

Sam's voice is still spot on despite the length between performances though, kind of makes me wonder if that's his normal speaking voice.

• IMDB credits Dave Boat as a voice actor in "CSI: Deadly Intent", which wikipedia credits as one of the games Telltale put together.

• This is conflicting.

If I wrongly assume they are different people, I'll look like an idiot by noting their similarities.

If I wrongly assume they are the same person, I'll look like an idiot by noting their differences.

Could you trouble us an official comment, Telltale?

• I'm having beliefs that Kasten and Dave Boat are the same people. I'm looking at Kasten's imdb page, and all he's credited for is his voice acting for Sam & Max. Isn't it a little bit odd that a talented guy like him didn't get hired for anything else?

• If he is the same guy, and especially if it is union-related, we won't get a comment from Telltale, because that would defeat whatever purpose he had for using a pseudonym

• @spd12 said: Sam's voice is still spot on despite the length between performances though, kind of makes me wonder if that's his normal speaking voice.

You can hear Nowlin's normal speaking voice in this old video at around 3:25 (he's the guy in the red sweater). You can definitely hear Sam in some of those longer vowels, but otherwise his natural voice is actually quite different.

Sounds like Nowlin has to pitch his voice down for Sam and Kasten/Boat has to pitch his/their voice(s) up for Max. Max is obviously the more extreme change of the two, so it really wouldn't be surprising to me if Kasten and Boat are the same person and he's just a bit out of practice.

• @LuigiHann said: If he is the same guy, and especially if it is union-related, we won't get a comment from Telltale, because that would defeat whatever purpose he had for using a pseudonym

Using two names for two voices that sound exactly the same for the same character would also tend to defeat that purpose. :P

I'm beginning to wonder if "Kasten" is a pun on "castin' ", like it's a name he had to come up with during auditions and so he just picked the first thing that came to mind... seems quite a stretch, but not impossible.

Add Comment