User Avatar Image

Ugh.... I'm not trying to call people out but.....

posted by crashblast23 on - last edited - Viewed by 831 users

I simply can not believe the ignorance there is at the Poker Night 2 Steam Community Hub.

First off, it's clear that most people there don't appreciate let alone understand the strategy of Poker, and are just there for "easy-to-win" TF2 hats and other unlockables. Although this is nothing new from the first Poker Night, we now suddenly have people accusing this game of being rigged, unbalanced, and a rip-off just because it's too hard for them to win all of the items.

I tried my best to cooperate with them, I really did. But no matter how much advice and suggestion topics I'm willing to give them, they just continue on with their complaints and remorse for buying the game.

No offense, but have these people ever thought about, you know, rethinking their poker strategy? The AI was clearly built to be more strategic as you win more and more bounties, but people there take it the wrong way. So much to the point that they (I'm not making this up) actually spread rumors that a certain "source" states the developers really did program the game to make AI cheat, and always give them a good hand.

Instead of helping each other out and giving tips, they usually just whine and complain about the game's difficulty, and they're all begging for a patch that gives easy mode. It's also common to hear them calling the game a rip-off just because they say it was deliberately programmed to be "unwinnable". There are even a few boycott topics too because of that.

Despite every nonsensical thing the Community Hub says, the truth is, the prizes for Poker Night 2 are much more valuable than last time. They're hats and misc. items, not weapon reskins like in Poker Night 1. Plus you've also got Borderlands 2 items thrown in. So with that said, it would be common sense to make the difficulty harder to make those valuable items well-earned instead of quickly being leeched out by resetting the Tournament every 5 minutes after going all-in like in the original game.

I'm going to ignore the Community Hub for a while now until everything settles down, but I think they literally just made me sick to my stomach after being there for the past day or so...

40 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @generatedname said: just do me and yourself a favor and google "card counting poker"

I was a semi-pro poker player for over a year. I read every poker book I could get my hands on, by people who really knew their stuff -- names like Phil Hellmuth, David Sklansky, Bob Ciaffone, and Doyle Brunson. Not once did any of them ever mention "card counting".

I think maybe you're talking about being aware of how many outs will improve your hand, which is indeed good strategy (it's Poker 101, really) -- but it's not normally called "card counting", and applying the term "card counting" to poker will only make you sound clueless.

• @furrykef said: I was a semi-pro poker player for over a year. I read every poker book I could get my hands on, by people who really knew their stuff -- names like Phil Hellmuth, David Sklansky, Bob Ciaffone, and Doyle Brunson. Not once did any of them ever mention "card counting".

I think maybe you're talking about being aware of how many outs will improve your hand, which is indeed good strategy (it's Poker 101, really) -- but it's not normally called "card counting", and applying the term "card counting" to poker will only make you sound clueless.

well if I say card counting for any card game it should mean the same thing to you: figuring out your probability of success based on known cards no longer in the deck.

in blackjack, you get to know a lot more of the cards no longer in the deck so this trick has a much larger impact and is much harder to perform.

try thinking in terms of computer science instead of professional real-life poker tournaments.

i am clueless to poker tournaments, but quite familiar to programming. If I was designing poker AI, the first thing I would do is implement card counting so that I can define behavior for the character based on their odds of winning.

• Card counting works in some games, but it's fairly useless in holdem. At any time you only know what 2,5,6, and 7 of the card on the table are. So your probabilities are incredibly sketchy at best(from the player perspective).

• @Gauge said: Card counting works in some games, but it's fairly useless in holdem. At any time you only know what 2,5,6, and 7 of the card on the table are. So your probabilities are incredibly sketchy at best(from the player perspective).

Not really. As I said before, knowing your number of outs is Poker 101. For example, if you have four to a flush on the flop, and you can be pretty sure you'll win if you hit your flush (e.g. you have an ace of the suit, so you know a better flush won't beat you, and there is no pair on the board), then you have 9 outs -- 9 cards that can improve your hand. Now you apply the "rule of two": 9*2 = 18, so you have a roughly 18% chance of hitting your hand, or about a 1 in 5 chance. That means you need 4:1 odds to call -- so if the pot is $5000 and you have to call $1000, it's an easy call.

Again, though, I think calling this "card counting" is silly, especially since it has much less to do with what cards you've already seen and much more with how many cards can improve your hand. The only thing you're counting is your outs; in blackjack, you're not counting your outs, you're counting the cards you've seen. The two have little in common.

• @ryannumber1gamer said: I agree most of that was just stupid raging but I will agree that one of the last bounty challenges (Win with a high card) is too hard and requires extreme luck other than that its mostly stupid complaints

Has anyone actually MANAGED that? I keep on getting so close but then the computer deals a card that gives me a pair or a flush or a straight or something similar. Every time that happens I alt+F4 to retry the challenge. So far out of about 20 attempts at it I have had no success. I hope that an option is added so that we can get a new set of challenges WITHOUT having to complete all of the current ones in exchange for progress on the current ones being lost. I wouldn't even mind paying for this feature as a micro-transaction if it means that I do not have to complete THAT challenge!

• I don't think it's too hard to get an Ace high win at all. If you have an instance where everyone is just checking their hands along, you can often check all the way to the end (I find this easiest with Sam in a heads up) and once cards are overturned, it might hold up.

Not super-common, but not exactly difficult, because if they're checking to the end, their hand may well be equally as bad (high card) as yours, it's a matter of crossing your fingers and hoping your high card is the highest card.

• I came across someone who was complaining that you couldn't pick your hand when playing. I squinted at the screen in response to that one.

• @medacris said: I came across someone who was complaining that you couldn't pick your hand when playing. I squinted at the screen in response to that one.

No. They had to be joking. My already-tremulous belief in the collective human intelligence cannot accept anything else.

• I'm thinking maybe they wanted some kind of draw poker instead of hold'em or Omaha.

• They are probably (and hopefully) refering to Omaha. But even if you self picked, you only get to use 2 from your hole cards and 3 from the Dealt cards, so it really would not benefit them at all.

Though being able to self pick MIGHT just drive the point home of the rules and limitations of the game

Add Comment