User Avatar Image

[SPOILERS]The Walking Dead episode 5 and entire game REVIEW thread

posted by Vainamoinen on - last edited - Viewed by 10.5K users

Yup, this is it. Post your long and short, detailed or general, random or specific thoughts about the last episode and concluding thoughts about the Season right here.

No spoiler tags necessary, PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU'VE PLAYED THE EPISODES!!!

(poll rates the whole game, not just episode 5)

278 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I finished the game the night before last.

All in all, I felt the game did what any good game with a role playing aspect should do: immerse you and tell a great story. Yes, ultimately the choices didn't affect the major plot points, but since I've just played through it once, obviously there were 7 different parties that could have gone into the last episode with you, so that would change dialogue during that episode (I had Kenny, Omid and Christa - I had no problem killing Ben myself after he caused so many other great characters to die... Well, I say I had no problem, until I had to explain myself to Clem). That in itself is worth another couple runs.

I was upset when I discovered chopping off Lee's arm didn't save him, but didn't Ben already tell you that it's not necessarily the bite that does it? I mean, yeah, obviously the bite is gonna give you a nasty infection but antibiotics may have saved you. But, there are no antibiotics because Vernon and his crew took 'em all, so it's either get a blood infection from the wound or lob off a limb and hope for the best? Not surprised that it weakened Lee to the point of dying, he probably lost a load of blood anyway, and frankly even if cutting off his arm would have saved him, he went all action hero working through to save Clem that he got splattered with so much walker blood, that woulda given him something nasty anyway with that open wound. Maybe I'm over thinking it to justify his death to myself.

I think my favorite episode was ep. 2. Man, it was creepy, and almost had a Silence of the Lambs feel to it - I half expected to find someone crying in a well once I picked the lock in the barn. I thought it was great how the mom's comeuppance was the guy she made leg-roast out of. She ate him... he ate her. Karma's a bitch.

Yes, the choices made didn't affect the line of the plot. I get that. But the game wasn't an open world game, it had a linear plot, but the choices did appear to change how the different characters felt about you, and made you have to choose what type of person you were going to be. It reminds me of a portion of Chrono Trigger. Bear with me here. In the beginning of Chrono Trigger at the Millenium Fair when you meet Marle, you have some different choices you can make. They all seem completely inconsequential... Until after you rescue her in the year 600 and come back. When you get arrested and go on trial, those choices you make affect whether or not you are found guilty or innocent. It doesn't change whether or not you go to jail (either for an execution or solitary confinement), but it did affect dialogue throughout that sequence. That's how Campman's sequence felt to me - it brought back the choices you made and threw them in your face. I didn't take the food, but my party did. I was too slow and Clem ate human meat. I had to choose to save one person's life at the expense of another's. To me, it didn't feel cobbled together, it felt like this person was making Lee reflect on the choices he made.

I, personally, can't wait for Season 2. I would like to see Omid and Christa back. I hope that Kenny lived (but I doubt it). I would like to see Molly again. I want to see the fact that I didn't have Clem put a bullet in Lee's brain means that Clem sees an armless Lee as a walker. In fact, I wouldn't mind seeing all the people I sacrificed (that didn't end up with a bashed in skull) come back as crap I gotta kill - not necessarily that we'd be back on Hershel's farm, or in Macon, or in Savannah... But hey, that's what they'd be anyway, right?

Overall, I gave it a solid 9. I will play through again, just for the different dialogue experiences, and to try to get the different parties to come with me at the end.

• @michikade said: I finished the game the night before last.

All in all, I felt the game did what any good game with a role playing aspect should do: immerse you and tell a great story. Yes, ultimately the choices didn't affect the major plot points, but since I've just played through it once, obviously there were 7 different parties that could have gone into the last episode with you, so that would change dialogue during that episode (I had Kenny, Omid and Christa - I had no problem killing Ben myself after he caused so many other great characters to die... Well, I say I had no problem, until I had to explain myself to Clem). That in itself is worth another couple runs.

I was upset when I discovered chopping off Lee's arm didn't save him, but didn't Ben already tell you that it's not necessarily the bite that does it? I mean, yeah, obviously the bite is gonna give you a nasty infection but antibiotics may have saved you. But, there are no antibiotics because Vernon and his crew took 'em all, so it's either get a blood infection from the wound or lob off a limb and hope for the best? Not surprised that it weakened Lee to the point of dying, he probably lost a load of blood anyway, and frankly even if cutting off his arm would have saved him, he went all action hero working through to save Clem that he got splattered with so much walker blood, that woulda given him something nasty anyway with that open wound. Maybe I'm over thinking it to justify his death to myself.

I think my favorite episode was ep. 2. Man, it was creepy, and almost had a Silence of the Lambs feel to it - I half expected to find someone crying in a well once I picked the lock in the barn. I thought it was great how the mom's comeuppance was the guy she made leg-roast out of. She ate him... he ate her. Karma's a bitch.

Yes, the choices made didn't affect the line of the plot. I get that. But the game wasn't an open world game, it had a linear plot, but the choices did appear to change how the different characters felt about you, and made you have to choose what type of person you were going to be. It reminds me of a portion of Chrono Trigger. Bear with me here. In the beginning of Chrono Trigger at the Millenium Fair when you meet Marle, you have some different choices you can make. They all seem completely inconsequential... Until after you rescue her in the year 600 and come back. When you get arrested and go on trial, those choices you make affect whether or not you are found guilty or innocent. It doesn't change whether or not you go to jail (either for an execution or solitary confinement), but it did affect dialogue throughout that sequence. That's how Campman's sequence felt to me - it brought back the choices you made and threw them in your face. I didn't take the food, but my party did. I was too slow and Clem ate human meat. I had to choose to save one person's life at the expense of another's. To me, it didn't feel cobbled together, it felt like this person was making Lee reflect on the choices he made.

I, personally, can't wait for Season 2. I would like to see Omid and Christa back. I hope that Kenny lived (but I doubt it). I would like to see Molly again. I want to see the fact that I didn't have Clem put a bullet in Lee's brain means that Clem sees an armless Lee as a walker. In fact, I wouldn't mind seeing all the people I sacrificed (that didn't end up with a bashed in skull) come back as crap I gotta kill - not necessarily that we'd be back on Hershel's farm, or in Macon, or in Savannah... But hey, that's what they'd be anyway, right?

Overall, I gave it a solid 9. I will play through again, just for the different dialogue experiences, and to try to get the different parties to come with me at the end.

Something tells me you never watched the show or read the comics lol.

It's not the bite that kills, necessarily. If you die, you turn. No ifs, ands, or buts(so far as we know). The bite will kill you because of the infection, no antibiotic can stop that. However, chopping off the infected part will stop it from spreading. However, apparently Lee took too long, or he lost too much blood, or he simply got infected another way.

Also, Hershel's farm should be destroyed by now, or close to it. Hershel and everyone will have left, and there may be some walkers. If lucky, some of the old cast might be there though(no spoils).

The different people that go with you in the end really don't matter. One of the interesting changes is if you save Ben though ;)
    Also, welcome to the forums.

• @Mark$man said: Something tells me you never watched the show or read the comics lol.

It's not the bite that kills, necessarily. If you die, you turn. No ifs, ands, or buts(so far as we know). The bite will kill you because of the infection, no antibiotic can stop that. However, chopping off the infected part will stop it from spreading. However, apparently Lee took too long, or he lost too much blood, or he simply got infected another way.

Also, Hershel's farm should be destroyed by now, or close to it. Hershel and everyone will have left, and there may be some walkers. If lucky, some of the old cast might be there though(no spoils).

The different people that go with you in the end really don't matter. One of the interesting changes is if you save Ben though ;)
    Also, welcome to the forums.

Thanks. No, I haven't seen the show (it's definitely on the list, though) and I only have a cursory knowledge of TWD's world, but that pretty much answered most of my point except for the antibiotics part, and who's to say the characters still living that were with you once you got bitten knew that? That's kind of what I mean. They did what they had to do to save him, but I really think going all Rambo at the end really exacerbated the problem for him. Adrenaline'll get ya every time.

So far as my point about Hershel's farm, I just mean that if anything's there still, it'd be walkers. So you may see him as one, or Shaun as one, that sort of thing. Like I said, I don't really foresee going back there or anything.

And I know who goes during the last episode doesn't matter so far as the linear story, but it does change the conversations that happen, so there's bits and pieces of story that I may not have heard the first time that I might hear the second time. Same as choosing Carley instead of Doug -- I wouldn't have picked Doug had I realized Carley didn't have any bullets left, I thought she'd be able to save herself and I had to save the weakling. I know they both die the same way but the dialog and character interactions are different so that's worth a second run-through. Same with saving Ben rather than offing him. That's why there's a second run-through appeal, and even more than that - to answer things different ways or to have different people in my group.

• As my name say's this is My favorite game of all time, enough said.

• @michikade said: Thanks. No, I haven't seen the show (it's definitely on the list, though) and I only have a cursory knowledge of TWD's world, but that pretty much answered most of my point except for the antibiotics part, and who's to say the characters still living that were with you once you got bitten knew that? That's kind of what I mean. They did what they had to do to save him, but I really think going all Rambo at the end really exacerbated the problem for him. Adrenaline'll get ya every time.

So far as my point about Hershel's farm, I just mean that if anything's there still, it'd be walkers. So you may see him as one, or Shaun as one, that sort of thing. Like I said, I don't really foresee going back there or anything.

And I know who goes during the last episode doesn't matter so far as the linear story, but it does change the conversations that happen, so there's bits and pieces of story that I may not have heard the first time that I might hear the second time. Same as choosing Carley instead of Doug -- I wouldn't have picked Doug had I realized Carley didn't have any bullets left, I thought she'd be able to save herself and I had to save the weakling. I know they both die the same way but the dialog and character interactions are different so that's worth a second run-through. Same with saving Ben rather than offing him. That's why there's a second run-through appeal, and even more than that - to answer things different ways or to have different people in my group.

No, you won't find Shaun there, except as a dead body(not really a spoiler at this point).

Some of Rick's group return there to Hershel's, so the game may lead the group back to the farm. However, in both the comics and show, the farm was overrun by a large horde(as large as the train horde, and maybe the same one.)

• Episode 1: 8/10
    Episode 2: 9/10
    Episode 3: 9/10
    Episode 4: 8/10
    Episode 5: ∞/10

Game: 69/10

• If I want to go into extreme detail

Episode 1: 9/10

Episode 2:9.5/10

Episode 3: 9.5/10

Episode 4: 9.5/10

Episode 5; 11/10

over all it's a 10/10 and my favorite game I have ever played.

• The game was great i loved it. The special bonding with Clementine and Lee being her protector, friend and father-like figure made the game so special. The final scene of the game where Clementine finds out her parents are dead (they are walkers) and Lee dying and seeing Clem so distress not wanting Lee to die and when he finally dies is so sad to see Clem distress face, i chose Clem to shoot Lee before he turns and it was a very hard choose to make. It makes me so sad that she is all alone now her parents are gone, Lee is gone. I just hope she will find Christa and Omid and they will take care of her when season 2 starts. The ending after credits shows a distress, sad and all alone little girl seating in the fields all alone and in the distance she see's two figures and they stop and look at Clem direction is that Christa and Omid? or are they walkers? if they r walkers then will it be the test for her to survive in this post-apocalyptic world.

game for me is a 10/10 mainly because of Clementine and Lee & their special bonding, they are the ones that made this game so special, it wouldn't be the same without them. I feel so sad that Lee is gone now and who will Clementine grow attached to now, who will protect her? I wish he didn't die. The last scene was my favorite being it was a very strong and emotional scene, this is what games should be about...

When is season 2 coming out?

• I believe that your choices absolutely matter. Never at any point did I play the Walking Dead to get an ending. I played to experience a story and while, sure, some of those decision points were a little obvious and a little binary, the story was still mine. So I refute anyone who claims that Telltale delivered anything less than a completely personal narrative. The story is not its ending.

Also, people who think that it's a bad thing that a story can lead you down one path and trick you to another (head upstairs, find weapons, SHIT THE FRONT DOOR etc etc) aren't empathising with Lee the way the ought to. It's the apocalypse, Lee knows fuck all and ditto for you. The narrative would be worse off if the ragtag survivors could plan/tactically assess their way out of everything. Suspend your disbelief and let the narrative do its job.

Furthermore, ambiguity is the lifeblood of a good story. Sure, closure's nice but ambiguity lets you draw your own conclusions, develop your own interpretations. If they had spelled out the result of every single choice as I made them I would've been sickened. The epilogue to me felt sincere since I could close on that wondering how Clementine would develop, whether she was safe. It sticks in my mind precisely because the story ain't quite over, which is the way it will be in such a genre. (And even if a cash ploy, so what? I want Telltale to get money for this and if they want to keep that thread a bit open to exploit then I'll roll with it. Writing sequels is impossible if you close all threads. The Walking Dead ends when the zombies are done.)

Since it was so rich with variation, choice, character development and elicited honest-to-goodness emotions: 10/10.

• I had to register after finishing playing this game. I have been through a lot of games and they never cracked me. TWD did it. Thanks, TellTale.

I give it a solid ten. Why? The final scene with Lee and Clem made a adult, married man cry like a little girl. Lord, I cried. I was HOPING that cutting my own arm would have give me the time, the two hours, to get Clem out of that lunatic's hand into safety. At first I had chosen Kenny. That dialog represented what I felt: the dude will do anything to anyone to keep his family alive and I wanted Clem to be safe afterall. When Kenny was MIA I told Omid and his girl to keep my little girl safe. I was hoping that I could deliver Clem to them, kiss her goodbye and just walk away and suicide far away from her so she didn't had to see me like that. Boy, I was wrong.

I kind of liked that TellTale didn't gave me that chance. I think the grandfinalle served a purpose. That last conversation with lee (always grab the gun first, you did good, always keep moving) will help her survive in this mad dog world. Killing Lee ultimately showed her that no matter how much she love someone, you never let him or her turn, that's worse than death. And also, never let yourself trapped. Never.

Anyway, I know I'm six months late on this topic but I had to say it.

Bravo, dudes. You made me cry and that was a platinum achievement for y'all.

Add Comment