User Avatar Image

The "whatever's on your mind" thread

posted by GuruGuru214 on - last edited - Viewed by 181.9K users

One of the things that's great about this forum is its randomness. Well, this is the epitome of it: a thread for whatever random thought happens to be passing through your mind.

For example, I've just been struck by the most random craving for Taco Bell nachos.

38.4K Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Ditto, Marsbar. Except that I'm on medication. I forgot to take it today. I should add that whenever I forget to take it tends to coincide almost exactly with when I go off on something or someone.

    I wake up and I'm surrounded by people in pain, and I go to bed in pain. I go to a shrink, and instead of talking about anything I shut up and let him tell me what I think. Then my friends tell me they're going to help me, and then do absolutely nothing of worth at all. I'm fucking tired of being jerked around by literally everybody about this and there has to be SOMEBODY out there with more to add than "Jesus makes me feel happy lolololo".

    I'll tell you what I want. I want people to be honest about life. I want people to actually discuss these things. I want to hear other views about life. Not just typical views. IN DEPTH, LONG, DETAILED views.

    A lot of people are smart. I want them to act like it. There are answers somewhere. But humanity as a whole is more content to twiddle our cocks around instead of contemplating this. We should rename man and woman to Twiddlecock and Twiddletwat.

    And I want everyone to stop acting like everything is fucking okay. It's not fucking okay. Fuck you, liars. And don't tell me you're going to help me, or things will get better, and then jerk off in my face while hooting like a chimpanzee. I'm going to think about this every day until I go back into the primordial ooze where I came from, and I want SOME MOTHERFUCKING HELP.

    And if this post is overly vulgar, that's just because I'm fed up with this bullshit.

  • I still wonder why I existed in the first place, when so many better or more interesting potential lives, potential people, deserve to exist over my pathetic life. -_-
    (Just for the sake of having a bigger impact than me. Hell even if it was Neo-Hitler who was next in line in me dad's bollocks, he'd at least DO SOMETHING. All I ever seem to do is dream.)

  • @Secret Fawful said: Ditto, Marsbar. Except that I'm on medication. I forgot to take it today. I should add that whenever I forget to take it tends to coincide almost exactly with when I go off on something or someone.

    I wake up and I'm surrounded by people in pain, and I go to bed in pain. I go to a shrink, and instead of talking about anything I shut up and let him tell me what I think. Then my friends tell me they're going to help me, and then do absolutely nothing of worth at all. I'm fucking tired of being jerked around by literally everybody about this and there has to be SOMEBODY out there with more to add than "Jesus makes me feel happy lolololo".

    I'll tell you what I want. I want people to be honest about life. I want people to actually discuss these things. I want to hear other views about life. Not just typical views. IN DEPTH, LONG, DETAILED views.

    A lot of people are smart. I want them to act like it. There are answers somewhere. But humanity as a whole is more content to twiddle our cocks around instead of contemplating this. We should rename man and woman to Twiddlecock and Twiddletwat.

    And I want everyone to stop acting like everything is fucking okay. It's not fucking okay. Fuck you, liars. And don't tell me you're going to help me, or things will get better, and then jerk off in my face while hooting like a chimpanzee. I'm going to think about this every day until I go back into the primordial ooze where I came from, and I want SOME MOTHERFUCKING HELP.

    And if this post is overly vulgar, that's just because I'm fed up with this bullshit.

    i think it is a lot easier to actually talk about these things rather than type them but i still think language doesn't even come close to actual thoughts, i want someone to invent a way for brains to communicate without words just thoughts i think that would be the only way two people could actually properly communicate what they actually mean.

    for example i think enjoying yourself is just being totally selfish but not necessarily in a selfish way, meaning that helping/being kind to other people is selfish because you only do it because it makes you feel good and being a hindrance/being horrible to people will (eventually) make you feel bad, I'm not saying that i spend my life helping people in fact most of the time i would rather not have any impact on other peoples lives at all (it is less complicated that way) but if i can easily do something to help someone i will because it makes me happy.

    see that needs a brain communication device, because it doesn't come close to my actual thoughts.

    now i'm thinking why does making other people sad make me sad and why does making people happy make me happy, and i basically don't know which is stupid because it is me that thinks that.

    what is happy? what is sad? i don't mean in a scientific way like body chemistry

  • @Secret Fawful said: -SNIP-

    And if this post is overly vulgar, that's just because I'm fed up with this bullshit.

    It's somewhat worrying that not only did I GET what you said, but I AGREE with a lot of it (I don't mean that negatively towards you Fawful, it's more a reflection on how deep my depressive state is).

    I should probably go see a shrink or something. That might be a good first step.
    @Secret Fawful said: see that needs a brain communication device, because it doesn't come close to my actual thoughts.I'm fundamentally against a brain communication device, if only because of what coolsome could inflict upon the world. :p
    @Secret Fawful said: now i'm thinking why does making other people sad make me sad and why does making people happy make me happy, and i basically don't know which is stupid because it is me that thinks that.

    what is happy? what is sad?Aw fuck, don't make me actually think. I'm not in the mood for this.

    Happy and Sad are two emotional responses humanity has chosen to label as such and apply pointlessly meaningless 'states' to in an attempt to make themselves feel like they've accomplished something.

  • @Secret Fawful said: Amazing. You fraidycats are too afraid to even have a philosophical discussion because I ask hard questions. This is why I never have a serious discussion with anybody. Nobody wants to discuss those questions and nobody is smart enough to have any answers for them.

    Worthless.

    Sorry, I was busy ruining promising young people's future careers by adhering to a draconian grading system. Still haven't finished yet, but I'm busy having a hard time motivating myself to continue.

    And for your questions, I don't have answers. I'm just kind of an optimist in these circumstances. I never said that immortality meant you had to keep going on as the same person in the same body doing the same things. Maybe along with immortality would come a greater acceptance of change, where people try different things and explore all the possibilities of their potential?

    Besides that, I tend to seek comfort in little things. We do things now to forward the greater human knowledge in the hopes that people in the future will be able to make use of it and continue to be people in the future. Sure, the human race might all die out in one fell swoop, but I'm not going to let one possibility dictate how I act now. Until the world actually ends, I'll just operate under the assumption that it intends to spin on and try to make sure that the next generation has slightly less crap to deal with.

    It's weird, but even with death, I kinda feel fairly neutral about it. It's terrifying to look into the Abyss and most people try to fill it with visions of perfection (which I find kinda boring, really), but I take more comfort in the fact that when I die my body will slowly degrade back into component molecules and carry on in the system. Which would be pretty rad.

    I'd also settle for being a fossile for future paleontologists to dig up, but it's really hard to find a good place to be buried for maximum fossilization. So stars it is. Technically, we're all made out of stars already. All our atoms were forged in the hearts of stars, which is pretty damn impressive when you think about being distantly related to a giant ball of flaming gas.

    I dunno what else to say. It might be futile, it might not, but paralyzing oneself because of what may or may not be true becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.

    EDIT: I should also add that this is how I feel at this particular moment, mainly because I feel half dead after my whopping... three? hours of sleep. But I seriously hate worrying about things I can't affect, because that's a waste of my time. And when you have little enough time as it is, it's just not worth it to me to spend it all counting the seconds.

  • I find that being in constant fear of death is too time consuming to be worthwhile. Even the idea that life is too short to worry makes things too needlessly complicated. I just really don't care I guess. When I think about death, there's a slight uncomfortable idea that all of my memories will be lost to infinity, but I've come to terms with it by acknowledging it but not giving it too much regard. I can do what I want at my own pace and I'm happy with that. When I die, the great ongoing chemical reaction that is life will go on in its ever-changing way.

    It is somewhat comforting to know in the sense that mistakes I make aren't going to haunt me forever though.

  • I'm a bit terrified of death. Like Marsden, I can't make myself believe (or disbelieve) in anything that can't be definitively proven. At best, I could try to force it, but I would know I was lying to myself. I don't necessarily believe that there's nothing after death, nor do I believe that there's something. My belief system boils down to "I don't know." Over the last year, I've thought several times about how I don't know if part of my mom still exists somewhere or if she's just gone. She would believe she's in Heaven, but of the many traits I inherited from her, her faith wasn't one of them, so I can't know if she was right. And that makes me feel like shit because it feels like it dishonors her.

    But I continue on. Because even if there's nothing after death, and even if I never do anything to significantly contribute to the betterment of humanity after I'm gone, living a good life is still important to me for its own sake. If the sum of my life is nothing more than that my time on Earth was as pleasant as I could make it and that the people that knew me are better or happier for it, then that's enough for me.

    That's basically my philosophy. Sorry if it doesn't help you, Fawful, but I don't have the answers any more than you do.

  • I do believe in Heaven and Hell. That’s why while I’m still alive, I have to do everything in my power to not go to Hell.

    The way I see it, what’s the point of living if you don’t believe in anything? Something has to happen to you after you die, there’s can’t simply be oblivion. So, I believe in Heaven and Hell.

    I mean, how do you account for ghosts?

  • User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

    @Noname215 said:

    I mean, how do you account for ghosts?

    You 'pretend' they don't exist.

  • I once woke up in the middle of the night and saw a white translucent figure in my room. It glid over to my bookshelf and stood there for awhile in complete silence.

    So I turned on my light.

    Turns out it was my mom wearing a nightgown and looking for a book that I had in the middle of the night.

    I don't believe in ghosts.

This discussion has been closed.