User Avatar Image

I actually liked Ben

posted by HarjKS on - last edited - Viewed by 520 users

Yeah I know, shocking isn't it? In fact he's one of my favourite character he's also the most realistic imo. I thought all the stuff he did wasn't great, but at least understandable.

What did you think of Ben? Also don't play that "he killed everyone" card because by now it's plainly obvious he didn't.

65 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I could have forgiven Ben, even for his stealing, not speaking up to a screaming lady with a gun, being a complete screw up, everything --- if not for the "It wasn't me!" attitude when you asked him about anything. If he would have just fessed up at the motel about the stealing and why, loads of people wouldn't have died. I get that he was trying to save his own skin but all he had to do was man up for two seconds. I would have expected that out of one of the children, but this guy was in college, meaning he was an adult - the children were honest about things and tried to be helpful.

  • @michikade said: I could have forgiven Ben, even for his stealing, not speaking up to a screaming lady with a gun, being a complete screw up, everything --- if not for the "It wasn't me!" attitude when you asked him about anything. If he would have just fessed up at the motel about the stealing and why, loads of people wouldn't have died. I get that he was trying to save his own skin but all he had to do was man up for two seconds. I would have expected that out of one of the children, but this guy was in college, meaning he was an adult - the children were honest about things and tried to be helpful.

    For what it's worth, it seems like the rest of the group treated Ben as a child instead of an adult, much to his dismay.

  • Worst thing, to me, is how Ben kept giving me attitude. I was respectful, caring, understanding but he kept fucking snapping at me. "Durr, Ben is so realistic! Every teenager would act like he did in his situation!!" fuck that! If I were in his position I wouldn't fucking be so disrespectful especially after all I did!

    "So you're just gonna leave me on the bench here?"
    "Hey, I'm doing the best I can here!"
    "Maybe you're fine with having someone's blood on your hands but that's not me!"

    It's like holy fuck dude.

  • @CarScar said: Worst thing, to me, is how Ben kept giving me attitude. I was respectful, caring, understanding but he kept fucking snapping at me. "Durr, Ben is so realistic! Every teenager would act like he did in his situation!!" fuck that! If I were in his position I wouldn't fucking be so disrespectful especially after all I did!

    "So you're just gonna leave me on the bench here?"
    "Hey, I'm doing the best I can here!"
    "Maybe you're fine with having someone's blood on your hands but that's not me!"

    It's like holy fuck dude.

    The first one I laughed at.

    The second one, I snickered and rolled my eyes.

    The third one... my eyes burned with fury and I wished I had dropped the kid!

  • Ben was a screw-up, especially in Crawford, but blaming him for everything is wrong. He grew up after that, by admiting his mistakes, unlike a certain guy with a cap and a manly mustache, and trying to do his best in the mansion attack. I had great hopes for him, but he was he determinant character and I doubted he would make it.

  • @Mornai said: For what it's worth, it seems like the rest of the group treated Ben as a child instead of an adult, much to his dismay.

    I agree with you, but that doesn't really detract from the fact that he should have manned up. If he didn't want to be treated like a child, he shouldn't have acted like one. And the "It wasn't me" attitude every time Lee speaks to him played to me like he wanted Lee to coddle him or be softer with him like Lee was with the children, and Lee just wasn't doing it. I saw Ben as an adult, so I treated him like one, and honestly I think Ben thought I was too hard on him.

    That being said, I will say that I didn't think he was actually the thief during my first play through, and defended him tooth and nail. I thought he was wussy, but I didn't think he would betray us (honestly, I thought it was one of the kids taking stuff - not in a malicious way, but in a childish way). So I guess that says something about the investment I had in the characters - I wasn't one to immediately judge him or dismiss him, I tried to protect him and give him a chance. But when he admitted it was his fault to me on the train, and STILL got all upset when I told him off about it, I was done with him.

  • @michikade said: I agree with you, but that doesn't really detract from the fact that he should have manned up. If he didn't want to be treated like a child, he shouldn't have acted like one. And the "It wasn't me" attitude every time Lee speaks to him played to me like he wanted Lee to coddle him or be softer with him like Lee was with the children, and Lee just wasn't doing it. I saw Ben as an adult, so I treated him like one, and honestly I think Ben thought I was too hard on him.

    That being said, I will say that I didn't think he was actually the thief during my first play through, and defended him tooth and nail. I thought he was wussy, but I didn't think he would betray us (honestly, I thought it was one of the kids taking stuff - not in a malicious way, but in a childish way). So I guess that says something about the investment I had in the characters - I wasn't one to immediately judge him or dismiss him, I tried to protect him and give him a chance. But when he admitted it was his fault to me on the train, and STILL got all upset when I told him off about it, I was done with him.

    Agreed. His actions in episodes 3 and 4 really angered me as well. He not only lied but screamed at Lee's face when i asked him point blank if he did it. Along with his attitude about not watching Clem and telling Kenny, i probably would have dropped him if i had those thoughts in mind at the time.

  • @Mornai said: Agreed. His actions in episodes 3 and 4 really angered me as well. He not only lied but screamed at Lee's face when i asked him point blank if he did it. Along with his attitude about not watching Clem and telling Kenny, i probably would have dropped him if i had those thoughts in mind at the time.

    Don't forget his death count, including himself. Also, he would have gotten Clem killed, but Chuck, who died to save her, kept her from getting eaten, while a CERTAIN LITTLE KID would have just left.

    He lied to pretty much everyone.

    Also, he was asked to watch Clem twice, and failed both times. And he still yelled in your face when you told him point blank to watch her.

  • Funny thing about Ben, at the end of Episode 3 I wanted him dead. As the months went by I lost my anger at him and in Episode 4 I saved him, he would have been dead if Episode 4 if it had came out a week later.

  • The only good thing I can say about Ben is that he's probably a pretty realistic depiction of how a young, scared guy would react if the world went to hell. Heck, I'd probably do lots of stupid things if it were me in those situations.

    Doesn't mean he isn't fuggin annoying :P

Add Comment