User Avatar Image

Kenny saving Christa:Pointless?

posted by KieranTheBroski on - last edited - Viewed by 1.3K users

So Kenny's sacrifice for Christa was in my opinion POINTLESS. It was a good way for Kenny to go, and was a pretty good scene, but it was for the walkie talkie. The thing is they didn't use the talkie for the rest of the game. You could argue "well it could be used for the future." Well Lee finds the kidnapper, and ends up killing him, but the thing is: they could have taken the kidnappers talkie, and bam! You have the talkie back, just a little different...

23 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I found Christa to be a very annoying character. If she's not in season 2 i wont be too upset. Lilly was annoying, but I liked her character more than Christa's.
    Lilly wouldn't have jumped down without thinking out a plan or probably would have told everyone to leave it.

• I found Christa to be a very annoying character. If she's not in season 2 i wont be too upset. Lilly was annoying, but I liked her character more than Christa's.
    Lilly wouldn't have jumped down without thinking out a plan or probably would have told everyone to leave it.

• @Mornai said: They had recently rung the bell sending all those zombies in the vicinity of the hospital, though. Obviously they came back or it didn't reach that far, but since the mansion was 98% walker-free for a while maybe they thought the Marsh House would be as well.

In the end, all i can say is "Damn it, Christa."

The attic was after that, and walkers had lined the street. That's when Clem called on the radio, saying that she was where her parents are. So... he couldn't move her :P

• Yea that's my argument. Christa just jumped down there all wily nily when the group could have talked for a moment and actually discussed it instead of just jumping down there. I always thought she was the most careful one in the group, guess that drink got to her. rofl. Anyway, but they didn't use the walkie for the REST of the game. They didn't need it, and if they did, after killing the stranger/campman, could just take his damn walkie.

• I wish Omid would have manned up so Kenny didn't have to.

• The other ending was so much better. If you save Ben. It made me feel really happy :D

• Yeah, I felt kind of let down that they didn't use the walkie talkie after that. But as a story it makes sense thematically: Kenny gives his life to save another man's wife and child after losing his own.

Ugh, I didn't know that you could bring Ben along and that ending sounds terrible and pointless!

• @Natsumi said: Yeah, I felt kind of let down that they didn't use the walkie talkie after that. But as a story it makes sense thematically: Kenny gives his life to save another man's wife and child after losing his own.

Ugh, I didn't know that you could bring Ben along and that ending sounds terrible and pointless!

People seem fairly divided on this one. I've seen people immediately dismiss Kenny's death in Christa's scene because they said Kenny's actual death would have been far more dramatic.

For me i liked the Ben ending better, for a couple of reasons. Firstly, Kenny is giving his life to help someone he hated only moments before. Sure he had his differences with Christa, but he despised Ben so much more, and yet he was sacrificing his life for him even if it was futile.

Secondly, i feel it's better because you get some last words with Kenny. Standing there and hearing Kenny demand that you leave him behind was really powerful emotionally, and even more so if you refuse and he says goodbye after forcing you away. With the Christa scene you don't get this emotional farewell, as Kenny is too busy being swarmed by walkers to even concentrate on speaking.

Because of those two points i felt like Kenny's scene with Ben was much more dramatic and more painful to watch, as you know he's fighting for someone he can not save.

I suppose if you hated Kenny's guts you wouldn't give a damn how he died, and may prefer Christa's scene because he at least does something useful.

• I could not agree more, Ben's death is better in my option. All the reasons above make since, Kenny saying his last words to me was one of the many reasons I cried at that scene.

• @Jaded X Gamer said: Yeah...that's still not a strong enough argument for "immediately jumping into dark likely not-abandoned building with no way out for something we may or may not need." That scene really bothered me because Christa, outside of when Omid was in danger, was usually one of the most careful members in the group. Her just blindly jumping into somewhere dangerous for something that they may not necessarily need came off very out of character.

Had she say, found a rope tied to the scaffolding and she threw it down with her and it broke when she tried to get out, or there was a ladder down there that breaks when she uses it, or while their debating it the radio cackles and they hear Clementine's voice, or anything to make Christa look less careless, it wouldn't be so bothersome.

YOLOChrista_zpsc63a46b7.png

Or, failing that, It'd be nice if just anything came of that damn radio. It just feels like a waste that didn't do anything else with the radio. Like if the scene where Clementine is sneaking up on the stranger, you can look at the radio and instead of clubbing him with it she uses it to call the stranger's radio on the desk and distracts him. Or in the final scene Lee gives her the radio, tells her to look for more survivors, or just to listen in on possible threats or whatever the player wants to say. Just something.

Also from sentimental point of view I wish Clementine kept the radio. It was her parents, and it had those stickers Ben gave her on it. And I wish she had kept that gun Ben picks up in episode five. It was Lee's and it was possibility's Carley before that. I'd like to think she had some items that were both useful and served as mementos of her fallen friends and family. Instead all Clem has at the end to remember anyone by is a couple of hairbands from that bitch Lilly and possibly a gore smeared hoodie that belong to the son of the man who kidnapped her. :(

At least with Kenny we knew he wasn't entirely in his right mind with his wife shooting herself, his son dying, losing the boat, his (possibly best) friend being bitten. Poor guy was a train wreck. Plus he had been drinking a lot in the last three episodes. Wait a minute, Christa chugged a shitload whiskey just before the radio scene. Oh, well forget all that other shit I wrote. Christa was probably just kinda drunk when she decided to jump down there. :p

i agree so much with everything you said:eek:

Add Comment