User Avatar Image

Point and click games now visual novels?

posted by kikyouchanx on - last edited - Viewed by 1.4K users

I really hate how people are calling point and click games 'visual novels'. Mainly due to The Walking Dead by Tell Tale Games..

I guess Maniac Mansion, Sam and Max, Police Quest, and every other point n click game is now a VN.

They all had cutscenes in some way or another.

22 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Visual novels don't typically have cutscenes.

• Times change. Titles change.

• I thought visual novels you didn't walk around and there wasn't a big inventory or whatever. The most visual novel-esque games I've played are Phoenix Wright and Hotel Dusk, though. Are those visual novels, or what? I don't really know how the classification works.

• I kind of hate the term "point-and-click game." To my knowledge, that phrase has only really popped up in recent years, and it seems to be used disparagingly more often than not. Nobody ever used to call them that. They were always just "adventure games" or "graphic adventure games with point-and-click interfaces" if you meant the particular era and UI.

• @Jake said: I thought visual novels you didn't walk around and there wasn't a big inventory or whatever. The most visual novel-esque games I've played are Phoenix Wright and Hotel Dusk, though. Are those visual novels, or what? I don't really know how the classification works.

Those are VNs. The main thing that probably makes people compare TWD to VNs are branching paths that affect how npcs regard you and act toward you. That plus the emphasis on storytelling. But yes, the level of interaction is different.

• I thought they were always called point & click adventure games, mostly to distinguish them from the text parser adventure games, back in ye olde days.

• @GaryCXJk said: I thought they were always called point & click adventure games, mostly to distinguish them from the text parser adventure games, back in ye olde days.

"Graphic Adventure Games" is what I always called them, and still do, to make sure I sound older than I should. And, yeah, so they're not confused with text adventures. I think "Point and Click Adventure Games" are a subset of Graphic Adventure Games (because there are Sierra and similar graphic adventures which aren't played with a mouse). But whatever, visual novels!

I think people call WD a visual novel because there isn't a lot of walking around, and there isn't a lot of inventory, but there is a lot of talking and there is branching. I think Walking Dead comes very much more cleanly from an adventure game heritage than a visual novel one, though. The talking and the timers and the branching aside, the way the Walking Dead's story unfolds, the way obstacles are gated and revealed, and the overall way the story breaks down, comes pretty obviously from Telltale's more SCUMM-like adventure game catalog.

• @Jake said: I think Walking Dead comes very much more cleanly from an adventure game heritage than a visual novel one, though. The talking and the timers and the branching aside, the way the Walking Dead's story unfolds, the way obstacles are gated and revealed, and the overall way the story breaks down, comes pretty obviously from Telltale's more SCUMM-like adventure game catalog.

Actually, Telltale's new games are more like Dragon's Lair-esque interactive movies. The new Telltale games are strings of non-playable cutscenes linked together by minimal gameplay. That's really it. There is little actual "game" in these new Telltale releases. Seems like self-serving nonsense for Telltale to suggest their visual novels are in the LucasArts adventure mold. They aren't even close to being in the same league, quality-wise or design-wise.

@Jake said: I kind of hate the term "point-and-click game." To my knowledge, that phrase has only really popped up in recent years, and it seems to be used disparagingly more often than not. Nobody ever used to call them that. They were always just "adventure games" or "graphic adventure games with point-and-click interfaces" if you meant the particular era and UI.

The term is absolutely used disparagingly. You're right.

I have also been disappointed and dismayed to see several people from Telltale pile on and disparage traditional adventure games with point-and-click interfaces.

• Heavy Rain was a visual novel.

Add Comment