User Avatar Image

I actually liked Ben

posted by HarjKS on - last edited - Viewed by 300 users

Yeah I know, shocking isn't it? In fact he's one of my favourite character he's also the most realistic imo. I thought all the stuff he did wasn't great, but at least understandable.

What did you think of Ben? Also don't play that "he killed everyone" card because by now it's plainly obvious he didn't.

65 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • You know one thing about Ben-haters, I don't get is- Clementine caused more deaths than Ben. Yet she isn't hated because well WHO COULD HATE THIS?

The-walking-dead-clementine.jpeg

But also she was a child, but I freakin' wished Ben could have been kept the same as Telltale originally was planning to do with him I mean I think Ben's cool but there were some moments even I wanted to just leave him but I couldn't because of my conscious (God I hate that thing).

• How does Clementine have a larger body count then Ben? At most she killed five people, and that is at best and three are unknown. Ben at most has nine even though I don't count some of them. Were are you getting these numbers? Sorry if I sound rude I just want to know.

• @Bioshock Infinite WD said: How does Clementine have a larger body count then Ben? At most she killed five people, and that is at best and three are unknown. Ben at most has nine even though I don't count some of them. Were are you getting these numbers? Sorry if I sound rude I just want to know.

Clementine technically got Kenny, Lee, Chuck, Ben, and Brie killed. However I honestly don't count any of these.

Ben apparently got Duck and Katjaa (Which I don't count) Brie (I count that)
    Molly (Detriment so it's un-counted for plus we never see her die) Kenny (Don't count)

I can't really think of anyone else, but I know there's more for Ben.

• You could count Carley because he said nothing, and Chuck is a option due to him doing nothing. Surprisingly I don't hate him, he just screws up a lot like me sometimes.

• Wait, how in the heck did Clementine kill Brie or Chuck? Both of tem are on Ben's head. I find it hard to be able to blame Clem for Chuck's death, because the line "being surrounded by zombies in the street was obviously her own fault" doesn't fly with me. Ben left her there, so Chuck had to come and save her. If Ben had just, you know, grabbed her hand, Chuck might still be alive.

And in Crawford, Brie doesn't die because you took the time to let Clem vote, she dies because Ben lets dozens of walkers into the school through his incompetence. If Brie lived if you left Clem at the house, it'd be a different story, but I left Clem and she still got her guts ripped out.

Clem has, at most, Lee, Kenny, and Ben (Determinant). That's 3. I dropped Ben in my game, so for me it's actually 2. Ben has Duck, Carley/Doug, Katjaa, Chuck, and Brie in every playthrough. That's 5.

• @Rock114 said: Wait, how in the heck did Clementine kill Brie or Chuck? Both of tem are on Ben's head. I find it hard to be able to blame Clem for Chuck's death, because the line "being surrounded by zombies in the street was obviously her own fault" doesn't fly with me. Ben left her there, so Chuck had to come and save her. If Ben had just, you know, grabbed her hand, Chuck might still be alive.

And in Crawford, Brie doesn't die because you took the time to let Clem vote, she dies because Ben lets dozens of walkers into the school through his incompetence. If Brie lived if you left Clem at the house, it'd be a different story, but I left Clem and she still got her guts ripped out.

Clem has, at most, Lee, Kenny, and Ben (Determinant). That's 3. I dropped Ben in my game, so for me it's actually 2. Ben has Duck, Carley/Doug, Katjaa, Chuck, and Brie in every playthrough. That's 5.

Agreed....the body count for every non-directly caused death has no true answer, and it depends on who you decide needs to shoulder the burden.

• It pisses me off when people snap at people for hating Ben. The game literally wants you to hate him so exxcccuuussseee me if I do. God knows he's done enough shit to deserve said hate, I mean seriously.

"Maybe you're fine with having someone else's blood on your hands..."

Fucking the biggest douche thing to say. He's aware Lee's killed in the past, he's aware that it's a touchy subject with Lee, but still he says that. After I tried to fucking help the kid. You got my fucking closest friend killed and despite me trying to help you, you continue to act like an asshole. Like what the fuck is your problem, if I got half the group killed I'd at least try to act like a decent human being.

• @CarScar said: It pisses me off when people snap at people for hating Ben. The game literally wants you to hate him so exxcccuuussseee me if I do. God knows he's done enough shit to deserve said hate, I mean seriously.

"Maybe you're fine with having someone else's blood on your hands..."

Fucking the biggest douche thing to say. He's aware Lee's killed in the past, he's aware that it's a touchy subject with Lee, but still he says that. After I tried to fucking help the kid. You got my fucking closest friend killed and despite me trying to help you, you continue to act like an asshole. Like what the fuck is your problem, if I got half the group killed I'd at least try to act like a decent human being.

While there are obvious implications that the writers may have chosen certain scenarios to let Ben continually be annoying to the group, however I would never go as far to say the game wanted you to hate him.

Also, sorry if I do seem snappy that isn't what I'm trying to do at all. But there were some good moments from Ben, I especially liked the ones where despite being left in the street- Clementine still loved Ben because it displays a strong will of forgiveness that all the characters and even some of us could learn from.

To be honest, whether you like or hate Ben- I don't care, I simply wanted to hear reasons and try to counter them the best I can. This isn't a clashing opinion topics this is 'sharing' topic.

• @HarjKS said: While there are obvious implications that the writers may have chosen certain scenarios to let Ben continually be annoying to the group, however I would never go as far to say the game wanted you to hate him.

Honestly I think it was intentional. They made Ben the biggest shithead ever to make the chose of dropping him or not harder (just like they did with Larry). I may be biased but I honestly can't think of one scene with Ben that had shown him in a positive light outside of episode five... Only positive emotion I, personally, could attach to Ben would be, maybe, sympathy?
    Also, sorry if I do seem snappy that isn't what I'm trying to do at all. But there were some good moments from Ben, I especially liked the ones where despite being left in the street- Clementine still loved Ben because it displays a strong will of forgiveness that all the characters and even some of us could learn from.
    I wasn't talking about you, I was just speaking generally.

What moment with Ben specifically do you like anyways? That moment just shows Clem is a saint, nothing to do with Ben. Seems like most of Ben's scenes are either him snapping at Lee, fucking up / getting everyone killed, whining, or confessing about how he fucked up. I did like the scene where he told off Kenny, it was heartwarming. Everything else with Ben was infuriating.

Mind you I did forgive Ben, doesn't mean I like him. Despite my best efforts to support him, he's given me literally no reason to like him.

To be honest, whether you like or hate Ben- I don't care, I simply wanted to hear reasons and try to counter them the best I can. This isn't a clashing opinion topics this is 'sharing' topic.
    This is most definitely not a sharing thread haha. If you're branching out and trying to "counter" someone else's opinion, then this is definitely a "clash of opinions" thread.

• I just finished a play through where I saved Ben rather than dropping him like I did the first time. I'm not saying he's redeemed in my eyes but I do see what some people are talking about about how it changes how episode 5 plays quite a bit. I still wasn't that big of a fan of him and he didn't actually do anything to redeem himself before he died, but he DID serve the purpose of redeeming Kenny a bit (and I loved Kenny but there were times when I wanted to smack him for being so stubborn).

After Kenny says "I'm glad it was you and not me making that call..." and then 10 minutes later he's trying to save Ben and going out in a blaze of glory... man. Much harder to watch.

Add Comment