263 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @flesk said: I haven't been to those forums for a while but didn't Irishmile contribute anything? I'd imagine anything made by him would look a lot better than the winning entry.

I saw a post from Irishmile on their forum where he explained that he had too many things going on and didn't have time to produce an entry. I, too, would have liked to have seen something from him.

The choice of winner just seems fishy to me, given the fact that the winning artist had worked on the terrible collector's box that led to people calling for a replacement. I think the team members resented the criticism of that box. You aren't going to tell me the winner (shown above) is better than the other entry I posted right below it. What's more, the artist who produced the superior entry above (which didn't win) was actually one of the backers who had been critical of the original collector's box and who had advocated on the forum for better marketing art... and Josh Mandel had responded somewhat rudely to him at the time. So this whole thing kind of leaves a bad taste in my mouth. It's a shame that they are going with the cover art they are, when they had something much better handed to them.

• User Avatar Image
    Jennifer Moderator

I agree that the second box art you posted is much better than the first. They should have let the fans choose the cover.

• @Jennifer said: I agree that the second box art you posted is much better than the first. They should have let the fans choose the cover.

I'm a big supporter of this project, but I think they dropped the ball with regard to the box art. It seems they have a tendency to use inadequate art to promote the game. And have you seen the banner art they are using on Amazon and Steam?

51UwoTI34YL._SX_.jpg
    Yikes. If people have played the alpha or beta versions, they know this art doesn't reflect the game's quality.

One thing I learned from following all this is that backer contests can be a great way to save money and get excellent promotional art in return. I think smaller-budget adventure game projects ought to consider something like this. It's fun, gets backers engaged, and can result in some great art to promote the game.

• User Avatar Image
    Darth Marsden Moderator

Due to the sheer number of bugs found by beta testers, the game's been delayed once again to the end of June.

Not sure what to think about this, but the first thought that popped into my head was "Jesus, how many bugs did people find? That's one unstable game they've got!" and honestly, I think that's a valid point.

• @Darth Marsden said: Due to the sheer number of bugs found by beta testers, the game's been delayed once again to the end of June.

Not sure what to think about this, but the first thought that popped into my head was "Jesus, how many bugs did people find? That's one unstable game they've got!" and honestly, I think that's a valid point.

I beta tested. The game itself ran fine, and was entirely playable -- the few bugs I found were mostly graphical in nature, though I know others have run into small sound bugs.

Full list here:

https://forums.replaygamesinc.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=947

• It's good that they actually care about quality control, unlike EA. Telltale used to be spot-on with QA too but they caved in to the incessant nagging of impatient whiners.

• Better to delay and release a better product than rush the release and have to issue numerous updates.

• @Darth Marsden said: Due to the sheer number of bugs found by beta testers, the game's been delayed once again to the end of June.

Josh Mandel seemed to go out of his way to contradict this explanation by Paul Trowe. Below is what he posted on the Replay forum. So, who knows?

I just posted this on the Kickstarter page, and I'm repeating it again here because it certainly warrants repeating!

The bugs we've found in the game are actually VERY small and NOT very plentiful at all. Compared to most games in beta, this game is amazingly clean and solid. It's actually shippable at this point. It's more a matter of adding elements of polish that we've talked over with N-Fusion. Most of the things our testers -- both internal and external -- have found in the game are extremely low-level bugs or not even bugs at all, they're examples of "I wish it worked this way."

N-Fusion has done an ABSOLUTELY REMARKABLE job with this game, and even though they could easily have said, "We think this is absolutely ready to ship," they wanted to go even farther than they have so far. We're unimaginably lucky to have a developer who wants to go the extra mile to improve an already-terrific game. That is extremely rare in this industry. Most developers would say, "This is shippable, so ship it."

We are insanely lucky.

Josh

Also, to Jennifer: what were your thoughts on the beta release? You gave a very thorough, even-keeled write-up on the Alpha version a few months back.

• User Avatar Image
    Jennifer Moderator

@MtnPeak said: Also, to Jennifer: what were your thoughts on the beta release? You gave a very thorough, even-keeled write-up on the Alpha version a few months back.

For some reason, I forgot about the beta until just yesterday. :o

I'm playing through it now (and doing so more thoroughly than the alpha, since this one is feature complete), so I haven't played through much yet.

But, so far my opinion is very favorable. The voice acting is really good (Jan Robson hasn't lost any of his Larryness over the years, and Brad Venable as the narrator is good too - it's different, but it works well), and I really like the new puzzles. I think I went into this a bit for the alpha, but it bears saying again. The new puzzles just put a twist on the old ones. All of the objectives are the same, sometimes you just have to go about doing things a bit differently (and I like that a lot). It makes it feel different, even if you've completed LSL AGI and/or SCI a hundred times.

I also liked the new death scene that replaced the Sierra character workshop. This wasn't in the alpha, and I was wondering what they were going to do since Codemasters only owns Larry and Activision owns the other Sierra characters. I do miss the humor of the original, but it's completely understandable. Their solution kept the spirit of the scene, and I liked that.

They do use the dodgy cover art for the menu (the one that they held the contest to replace), but since this is just a beta, and judging from all the fan complaints about that cover, they might replace it for the final. Like most people, I'm not a fan of it (the proportions are off, making it look more like a work in progress than a final), so hopefully that will be the case.

I haven't gotten too far yet, so I can't comment on how they handled the women in the game (and especially the new woman, I'm quite curious about that one). I'll let you know what I think about the rest of the beta once I finish it. :)

Add Comment