User Avatar Image

The Kickstarter/Crowdfunding thread

posted by Darth Marsden on - last edited by Jennifer - Viewed by 16.4K users

Since there's probably going to be a fair few Kickstarter projects that aren't done by Tim Schafer, I thought it might be nice to start a separate thread for all the little games on Kickstarter that don't get as much exposure.

For example: Feeble's Fable: The Legend of Runes by Atomic Chimp Games. Another point-and-click adventure game, but this one is going for more of a cute and charming feel. It definitely looks interesting, though they've nowhere near the backing they need. :(

And another: Americana Dawn by one guy, Max K. Lambert. It's a freeware retro-styled RPG about the French & Indian War and the American War for Independence. Kickstarter page is a little bare (he doesn't actually say what he needs the money for, for one), but it looks like an awesome game.

So let's see what other Kickstarter projects you think is worth shining a little light on!

1.1K Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Sometimes a great idea comes along that you know is going to explode on Kickstarter and make millions. Here's one of them.

@Rock, Paper, Shotgun said: "I know how to make you want to spend money. Imagine if I told you the guy who wrote the rope-swinging for Spider-Man 2 was making a new game using the same mechanic. See! You want to spend money right now! …. You'd have to be dead to the core to not be at least interested in giving that a go."

• Ah. This'd be the one that had a target goal of ONE DOLLAR.

I'm sorry, but that's just bullshit right there. You DO NOT DO THAT with your Kickstarter project. You analyse and plan out how much you actually need, and then you ask people for that amount. If you don't reach your target goal, then there's reasons for it, and you can take that on board as regards to the future of the project.

You don't just ask for a dollar so that you're GUARANTEED money. That's really not cool, and very much goes against the spirit of Kickstarter.

For the record, I have backed this because it's a freakin' awesome idea, but the $1 goal thing has left a very bad taste in my mouth.

• Kickstarter shouldn't be about getting as much money as possible, it should be about raising the money to make the game and I doubt that game costs $1.00 to make...

• From the actual Kickstarter page:[quote]Well, as I’ve been working on this game I’ve fallen in love with it, and I’m going to finish it, no matter what, even if I don’t raise a dime. Now, since I went indie years ago I’ve been bleeding money, and I don't know how much indie resolve I have left. And having a family to support, it would be irresponsible of me to keep working on the game for too much longer or blow what’s left of our savings on it, which is why I’m trying to raise some money—to get an idea of how much people want this game, and find out how much more time and money I can responsibly spend. So it’s up to you: whether I’m going to spend just a few months tying a bow on this and shipping it, or, in my dream world, spend many months, bring more people onto the team, and do something super-extra-awesome.

In a way, this is what a lot of indie games, like Overgrowth, Prison Architect, and Desktop Dungeons, do to fund development—through preorder campaigns—but I’m using Kickstarter to concentrate it into one month so I can get a good idea, right off the bat, what budget I have for this project.

I already love this game and think it's easily going to be worth your money—at the very least it’ll have five levels, thirty challenges, and give you hours of enjoyment. But it could be so much more. And it's up to you to make that happen!

In other words, I don’t need your money. But I need your money. [/quote]NOT GOOD ENOUGH. I'm seeing nothing there that actually justifies the $1 goal. Nothing.

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

@Darth Marsden said: I'm sorry, but that's just bullshit right there. You DO NOT DO THAT with your Kickstarter project. [...]
    You don't just ask for a dollar so that you're GUARANTEED money. That's really not cool, and very much goes against the spirit of Kickstarter.

Kickstarter's policy is to not allow 'flexible funding' like indiegogo to minimize the risk that a funded project is not finished - which would have negative repercussions on perceived validity of the platform. While I can understand that from a business point of view, and while it's definitely true that this project does not conform to the 'kickstarter spirit' (as defined by kickstarter of course), kickstarter's regulations in this respect do not adhere to the actual spirit of crowdfunding.

Crowdfunding is not "we're willing to do this if you give us money", crowdfunding is "we're doing this, are you in?".

This is a valid project (unfortunately missing the "DRM free" marker yet). Don't hate them for the attempt to trick kickstarter regulations - in my opinion, it was high time someone did that. :)

• Rules and Regulations are generally there for a reason. All I'll say.

• Really should've made the basement the bottom goal. I mean, really, if you can't get 10K for a video game on Kickstarter, you don't really have any business being there to begin with. It would have avoided all the backlash and explaining. Just a poor decision on his part.

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

@Johro said: Really should've made the basement the bottom goal. I mean, really, if you can't get 10K for a video game on Kickstarter, you don't really have any business being there to begin with. It would have avoided all the backlash and explaining. Just a poor decision on his part.

He IS in a pickle a bit about the explaining, that's very true. :D

There's a bad taste for me as well, but in different areas. He essentially uses the higher backers as beta and alpha (!!!) testers, where's the fun in that? And of course, he does not only leave all DRM options open, no, he also already talks about Steam Greenlight. :mad:

• Well, at least we know PR and business aren't his strong suits. We've seen projects tank just because of PR men who tried to be a little too savvy.

On a kickstarter side note, I really thought that practical effects film would be doing better than it is. It's not dead yet, but it is reaching that lull before it should. Makes me sad. I really hate CGI films.

• @Vainamoinen said: This is a valid project (unfortunately missing the "DRM free" marker yet).

DRM-Free option confirmed in the latest update.

Add Comment