User Avatar Image

Point and click games now visual novels?

posted by kikyouchanx on - last edited - Viewed by 677 users

I really hate how people are calling point and click games 'visual novels'. Mainly due to The Walking Dead by Tell Tale Games..

I guess Maniac Mansion, Sam and Max, Police Quest, and every other point n click game is now a VN.

They all had cutscenes in some way or another.

22 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Jake said: I think people call WD a visual novel because there isn't a lot of walking [...], but there is a lot of talking

Maybe it should've been called "The Talking Dead" then?

*rimshot*

• @MtnPeak said: Actually, Telltale's new games are more like Dragon's Lair-esque interactive movies. The new Telltale games are strings of non-playable cutscenes linked together by minimal gameplay. That's really it. There is little actual "game" in these new Telltale releases. Seems like self-serving nonsense for Telltale to suggest their visual novels are in the LucasArts adventure mold. They aren't even close to being in the same league, quality-wise or design-wise.

I didn't say they are quality-wise or design-wise on the same level as LucasArts games, you just said I did. I was just talking about how puzzle gating and stuff worked.

I think there is a pretty intense gap between Dragon's Lair and The Walking Dead, but you obviously disagree, as you came in and dropped a nuclear bomb as your first post in the conversation. I don't expect (or want) to change your mind, as opinions are opinions. I just don't want you to think I'm making a case for something I'm not, and it feels like you put a lot of words in my mouth (and then attributed them to Telltale as a whole and not me).

• @Jake said: I didn't say they are quality-wise or design-wise on the same level as LucasArts games, you just said I did. I was just talking about how puzzle gating and stuff worked.

I think there is a pretty intense gap between Dragon's Lair and The Walking Dead, but you obviously disagree, as you came in and dropped a nuclear bomb as your first post in the conversation. I don't expect (or want) to change your mind, as opinions are opinions. I just don't want you to think I'm making a case for something I'm not, and it feels like you put a lot of words in my mouth (and then attributed them to Telltale as a whole and not me).

This is probably one of the reasons why DVD things where popular actor talks before the movie there is typical legal crap telling how he/she does not represent company's views or something like that.

• @Clord said: This is probably one of the reasons why DVD things where popular actor talks before the movie there is typical legal crap telling how he/she does not represent company's views or something like that.

Usually someone writing on a forum using "I" instead of "we" is enough, but sure, that is true.

"My views on these matters are my own and do not represent the views or policy of Telltale Games." I'm a long-time adventure game fan who now makes games at Telltale, and I really like talking about them with fans.

• I would also put TWD in the same bracket as old Poin and Clicks at least in Genre I've seen and played interactive movies and there is a difference...

• User Avatar Image
    Darth Marsden Moderator

@Jake said: Usually someone writing on a forum using "I" instead of "we" is enough, but sure, that is true.

"My views on these matters are my own and do not represent the views or policy of Telltale Games."

Yeah, that's kinda why us mods have to have these things in our sigs. Lame. I could totally have used the space to put another awesome quote in there.

• http://youtu.be/l_rvM6hubs8?t=2m45s Extra Credits, in one of their episodes about JRPGs vs Western RPGs, went on an enlightening tangent about the flaws in the way that game genres are defined. They tend to be focused on obvious, mechanical things (this game is in first person, this game uses a point-and-click interface, etc). I would say that the key differences between the "Visual Novel" genre and the as-yet-unnamed cinematic adventure genre that Telltale continues to flesh out are largely superficial and mechanical.

Visual Novels are called visual novels because they tell a story with a lot of text and limited graphics. The actual gameplay mechanics can vary a lot, from rhythm tapping segments to adventure-style puzzles to courtroom battles to simulated surgery. If you replace a lot of text narration in a visual novel with a lot of cutscenes, you could have a game that plays exactly the same, but it would feel different because you aren't reading, so your brain is doing different things. I wouldn't say that Telltales games "are" visual novels but I wouldn't say the comparison is insulting or even innumerate. The primary goal is clearly the same, to tell a story and make the player feel like they're involved.

• This was around the time The Walking Dead was called Game of the Year. That's when I heard a lot of 'Walking Dead is just a VN", and many other comments.

• @MtnPeak said: Actually, Telltale's new games are more like Dragon's Lair-esque interactive movies. The new Telltale games are strings of non-playable cutscenes linked together by minimal gameplay. That's really it. There is little actual "game" in these new Telltale releases. Seems like self-serving nonsense for Telltale to suggest their visual novels are in the LucasArts adventure mold. They aren't even close to being in the same league, quality-wise or design-wise.

The term is absolutely used disparagingly. You're right.

I have also been disappointed and dismayed to see several people from Telltale pile on and disparage traditional adventure games with point-and-click interfaces.

I find it hilarious you just complained about people talking about point and click disparagingly, then used disparaging language against those classifying Walking Dead in the adventure mold.

• To be fair people are going to say anything that isn't a generic shooter isn't a game if it gets famous...

Add Comment