70 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Chyron8472 said: Making LP's should not be a day-job. It's a hobby.

I understand that my Ad blocker also blocks revenue to actual Youtube shows like Revision3, but I'd still rather not watch a 30 second long commercial every time I click on a 3 minute video.

That is like saying being on television should be a hobby...

• Except most people working on TV get a fixed salary.

Seriously, though, and here's where I step in as someone who turned his hobby into a semi part-time job, mainly writing, but I couldn't give two shits if people just grab my novel for free. I actually should find a real job.

• hey. 30 minutes on this topic.
    Totalbiscuit's Content patch video of the day.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yX4io2O4EI

• He sums it up very well
    Lpers have their own following and will watch any game they play and the content is not all about he games

A great example of this is Minecraft as the game itself is not necessarily the most entertaining but youtubers such as the yogscast have found a way to make it work and the idea of Notch trying to take ad money from these people when people are really only watching for them...

Nintendo games generally aren't the most story focused and I don't see many people watching an LP and then feeling as if they no longer need to play the game...

• @DAISHI said: Google can afford it, but can PewdiePie?

Considering he's made a small fortune off of being fake scared and Happy Wheels, I think he can.

• @Vainamoinen said: Legally, a lot of this stuff could be targeted, that is true.

Mere excerpts of those games can't cause legal problems, but seriously, what's a 30 minute review of a game on youtube but 30 minutes of high res gameplay with added reviewer's comments?

Legally, it is completely comprehensible for a company to state that random popular LPers are essentially making money with their IPs.

From the standpoint of advertising and company image, however, this really isn't such a great idea. Absolutely every video game company which risks to suggest that just watching their game would give the spectator even 1% of the fun than actually playing it damages its reputation in a great way.

Oh I completely agree. I think on a actual level, it's stupid by Nintendo.

• @Chyron8472 said: Making LP's should not be a day-job. It's a hobby.

Ok so you want to deny someone money for their work because you don't like that they can make money? Even if you don't like it, it is still their job.

• I feel a good compromise is for Nintendo to split the ad revenue with the video makers 50-50. But that won't happen, because that would require agreements with individual people and that'd be FAR too much work.

• @Gman5852 said: Ok so you want to deny someone money for their work because you don't like that they can make money? Even if you don't like it, it is still their job.

That's like if I invited people over to my house to watch me play a video game, and I charged by the head for it because people think I'm funny.

How about if I got into building and flying remote controlled airplanes, and charged people for coming to watch me fly them? (by myself, not at an official event that actually cost someone money to organize.)

It's a hobby, not a job. People play games because they are fun, and they make LP's because they enjoy it.

In fact, I don't think I'd ever pay money just to watch a Rifftrax, either.

EDIT: Okay, wait. My issue is actually that it's Youtube. Youtube is a community where Joe Blow can upload videos of his cat. I have no qualms whatsoever with Doug Walker (Nostalgia Critic) making money off people watching his reviews, because he has his own website dedicated to it. So yes, if people can make a Rifftrax and then sell it for money on Rifftrax.com, that's fine. I just wouldn't buy it.

• @Chyron8472 said: That's like if I invited people over to my house to watch me play a video game, and I charged by the head for it because people think I'm funny.

Yes. And if they are willing to pay you nothing is wrong with it.

Add Comment