User Avatar Image

The Newly Regenerated Doctor Who Thread

posted by Friar on - last edited - Viewed by 22.3K users

So, Christmas is approaching, and with it a brand new Doctor who episode, and seeing as it's no longer series 5, I thought it would be time for a new, more generalised Doctor who thread!

For those who are new to the series, It features a humanoid Alien (timelord) called the Doctor, who travels in time and space in the TARDIS. He's the last of his race, and when he dies, he regenerates into a new person (up to 13 times). So far he has done so 11 times, with the current, 11th doctor being Matt Smith.
the11doctors.png

To kick things off, here's a trailer for the new Doctor who ipod/iphone/ipad/android game: The mazes of time!

4.1K Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Oh Fuck you Moffat.
    So you wanted to show the version of the Doctor who committed countless war crimes and was ravaged by warmongering ecstasy during the 'so-often-referenced' Time war? Hey, guess what?

Paul Mcgann is still around!

And from what I've gathered, extremely anxious to appear in the new series. It's just baffling that they're trying to shoe-horn a pseudo Doctor in when there's already a better option standing around that won't fuck up years of story telling.

Yes, bit of a rant that I'll probably regret later on, but I just finished watching it and needed a few things of my chest. :)

• User Avatar Image
    Darth Marsden Moderator

My father (who sat reading the paper for the first half of this while making very loud noises as he turned the pages) said this episode was, and I quote, "45 minutes of my life I'll never get back".

I'm inclined to agree.

What the hell happened to Doctor Who just being fun adventures in time and space? When did everything become so bloody obsessed with being grand and sweeping and epic and so sodding complicated?

Christ I miss the old days, back when this was my favourite show and I couldn't wait for each new episode. Now I have to force myself to watch it. I have to FORCE MYSELF to watch DOCTOR WHO. Jesus H Macy.

And since I had to go to like three different sites to really understand what in the hell was going on with the big reveal in this episode, here's what happened (as far as I can make out):
    John Hurt is the actual 9th Doctor, following on from Paul McGann's 8th. But because of what he did to end the Time War - killing billions - he doesn't think Hurt (heh, appropriate) as being 'a Doctor', with Eccleston being a true 'Doctor' and thus earning the number 9 position. The big secret, therefore, is that Matt Smith is actually the twelfth incarnation of the Doctor.Needless to say, this is insanely complicated and does nothing but confuse people. Why. Why would you do this. Why would you completely and utterly baffle your entire target audience - kids, need I remind you - with something so ludicrously complex yet entirely pointless in the grand scheme of things?

I just... ugh. I hate to admit it, but I miss RTD.

• Honestly, I felt this was the best episode of this season. Then again, I tend to like the darker episodes and those have been in really short supply since Moffat took over. Even this one wasn't as dark as I was hoping, but I'll take what I can get. Also, The Great Intelligence mentioned Valeyard and that made me smile. Moffat hasn't forgotten and maybe he'll do something with that later. That's my hope..

I think the reason that they're going with Hurt for the Doctor they're using for the Time War stuff is because the movie that McGann was in wasn't received particularly well, even though his Big Finish stuff has apparently been phenomenal. So it makes sort of sense that they don't want to bring back someone that most of the viewers either don't know or don't care about.

• But I didn't like the movie but knew Paul McGann was a great Doctor from watching it. Hell we was the saving grace for the movie.

Also this is one of my favorite episodes ever now.

• I actually kinda liked the movie except for the Master, who was so over-the-top evil it was almost comical. But I'm saying I can understand why they would be wary of bringing back a lesser known Doctor who had bad press the last time he showed up.

In a more story-oriented view, I really liked their explanation for another Doctor being shoved in there. Having a Time War specific Doctor seems appropriate somehow given the trauma associated with the period. And it still leaves some room for McGann's Doctor to have been in the Time War, but doesn't have him be the one to pull the trigger. I, for one, couldn't really see that happening with his Doctor. It also makes sense that with the trouble he gets himself into, the Doctor would have been forced to regenerate at least once during a freakin' war. And not just at the end.

I dunno. I would have loved to have McGann come back, but as alternatives go, I can't say I'm overly upset about this one.

Add Comment