User Avatar Image

The Last Item You Purchased?

posted by Hayden on - last edited - Viewed by 38K users

What was it? Whether it was a packet of chips, a video game, a CD, a magazine, a gun, a flower, a yacht or an island, post it here.

My most recent purchase was a CD - Dream Theater's "Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence".

5.5K Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Alcoremortis said: Well, Dashing was the one who found this deal for me. GameCube, Hulk game, and nine other crappy games for forty bucks. Which, considering this was everything I wanted, I felt was a pretty good deal.

What are the crappy games? And I'm surprised Dashing didn't just say "Don't get a Gamecube ever because it sucks and everything on it sucks.".

• @GaryCXJk said: Duke Nukem 3D Megaton Edition.

Certainly hope you got it a few days ago when it was half price.

As for Gamecube titles, there's some quality ones out there, though they're mostly first-party ones. Also, several were ported to the Wii (Pikmin I + II, Metroid Prime I + II), so I won't list those.

1080° Avalanche
    Billy Hatcher & the Giant Egg (on PC as well, but only in Europe)
    Chibi-Robo!
    Doshin the Giant (Europe only, I'm afraid)
    Eternal fucking Darkness
    F-Zero GX
    Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles
    Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance
    Geist (OK, it's not amazing, but it's still pretty interesting)
    Harvest Moon (all three of them)
    Ikaruga (it's also on XBLA and Android, apparently)
    killer fucking 7
    Lost Kingdoms I + II
    Luigi's Mansion
    Mario Kart: Double Dash!!
    Mario Party 4-7 (but only one of them - they're pretty samey)
    Megaman: Network Transmission (it's hard as hell, but not bad at all)
    Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes
    Odama
    P.N. 03
    Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door
    Resident Evil 0 / 1 (these are the remakes, the others on the GC are ports of the originals)
    Skies of Arcadia: Legends
    Starfox Adventures (flawed, but still fun)
    Starfox Assault (see Starfox Adventures)
    Super Mario Sunshine (yes the cleaning elements get old, but it's still a good game)
    Tales of Symphonia (rumoured to be getting a PS3 remake, so maybe wait and see with this one)
    The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventures (play it co-op, for the love of Jehovah)
    The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker (getting a WiiU port, though I'm not 100% about the new art style)
    The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (GC version plays better, even if it's not quite as pretty)
    Universal Studios Theme Park Adventures (nah, I'm just kidding. This one's lame)
    Virtua Quest (NTSC only. Not great, but certainly interesting)
    Wave Race: Blue Storm

Sure I'm missing some there, but that should get you started.

• Well, I don't even know if I'll even have time to play many games on it. One of the ironies of my position. Sure, I can afford all these things I always wanted now... but I don't have any free time to devote to actually using them.

I feel like I'm just stockpiling up things to do when I'm retired. Except I don't ever want to retire.

• There are two Gamecube games that are a requirement of humanity to play. Eternal Darkness, and Paper Mario: TTYD.

• @Secret Fawful said: There are two Gamecube games that are a requirement of humanity to play. Eternal Darkness, and Paper Mario: TTYD.

I'd add that at the very least trying Killer7 is a requirement to keeping your street cred, even if I did forget it came out on the PS2 as well as the NGC. Oops.

• @Darth Marsden said: Certainly hope you got it a few days ago when it was half price.

As for Gamecube titles, there's some quality ones out there, though they're mostly first-party ones. Also, several were ported to the Wii (Pikmin I + II, Metroid Prime I + II), so I won't list those.

1080° Avalanche
    Billy Hatcher & the Giant Egg (on PC as well, but only in Europe)
    Chibi-Robo!
    Doshin the Giant (Europe only, I'm afraid)
    Eternal fucking Darkness
    F-Zero GX
    Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles
    Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance
    Geist (OK, it's not amazing, but it's still pretty interesting)
    Harvest Moon (all three of them)
    Ikaruga (it's also on XBLA and Android, apparently)
    killer fucking 7
    Lost Kingdoms I + II
    Luigi's Mansion
    Mario Kart: Double Dash!!
    Mario Party 4-7 (but only one of them - they're pretty samey)
    Megaman: Network Transmission (it's hard as hell, but not bad at all)
    Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes
    Odama
    P.N. 03
    Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door
    Resident Evil 0 / 1 (these are the remakes, the others on the GC are ports of the originals)
    Skies of Arcadia: Legends
    Starfox Adventures (flawed, but still fun)
    Starfox Assault (see Starfox Adventures)
    Super Mario Sunshine (yes the cleaning elements get old, but it's still a good game)
    Tales of Symphonia (rumoured to be getting a PS3 remake, so maybe wait and see with this one)
    The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventures (play it co-op, for the love of Jehovah)
    The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker (getting a WiiU port, though I'm not 100% about the new art style)
    The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (GC version plays better, even if it's not quite as pretty)
    Universal Studios Theme Park Adventures (nah, I'm just kidding. This one's lame)
    Virtua Quest (NTSC only. Not great, but certainly interesting)
    Wave Race: Blue Storm

Sure I'm missing some there, but that should get you started.

and there's Sonic Adventure DX, Sonic Adventure 2 Battle which both were remade for PS3, Xbox and Steam but the DX & Battle packs are DLC so...

• @Darth Marsden said: I'd add that at the very least trying Killer7 is a requirement to keeping your street cred, even if I did forget it came out on the PS2 as well as the NGC. Oops.

Screw PS2. I play its exclusives, but GCN always has better graphics. Always.

• @Secret Fawful said: And I'm surprised Dashing didn't just say "Don't get a Gamecube ever because it sucks and everything on it sucks.".

I did, but this was also probably the cheapest way to just get Hulk Ultimate Destruction playable in a single purchase. Yeah, I have my own opinions, but far be it from me to not help out and give somebody every option possible without being an ass about it and pushing my own perspective.

The games were:

TY the Tasmanian Tiger

The Incredible Hulk Ultimate Destruction

From Russia With Love 007

Crash Tag Team Racing

Army Men Sarges War

Naruto Clash of Ninja

Madagascar

The Incredibles

Mortal Kombat Deception

Sponge Bob Square Pants Battle For Bikini Bottom

• @Secret Fawful said: There are two Gamecube games that are a requirement of humanity to play. Eternal Darkness, and Paper Mario: TTYD.

@Secret Fawful said: I'd add that at the very least trying Killer7 is a requirement to keeping your street cred, even if I did forget it came out on the PS2 as well as the NGC. Oops.

Also, there's:

[LIST]
    [*]Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker
    [*]Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (controls are far better than for Wii)
    [*]Metroid Prime
    [*]Metroid Prime 2: Echoes
    [*]Tales of Symphonia
    [*]Lord of the Rings: The Third Age
    [*]Star Wars: Rogue Squadron 2 or 3
    [*]Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes
    [/LIST]
    And a GameBoy Player, which physically attaches to the bottom of the GameCube so that you can play GameBoy, GBC, and GBA games.

• With a Game Boy Player, she could theoretically play all 13 Zelda games released before Phantom Hourglass on one system (though Four Swords would require a friend). But I'll settle for Ocarina of Time. We have an arrangement. If I finish Planescape: Torment, she plays Ocarina of Time.

Add Comment