User Avatar Image

The Kickstarter thread

posted by Darth Marsden on - last edited - Viewed by 15.7K users

Since there's probably going to be a fair few Kickstarter projects that aren't done by Tim Schafer, I thought it might be nice to start a separate thread for all the little games on Kickstarter that don't get as much exposure.

For example: Feeble's Fable: The Legend of Runes by Atomic Chimp Games. Another point-and-click adventure game, but this one is going for more of a cute and charming feel. It definitely looks interesting, though they've nowhere near the backing they need. :(

And another: Americana Dawn by one guy, Max K. Lambert. It's a freeware retro-styled RPG about the French & Indian War and the American War for Independence. Kickstarter page is a little bare (he doesn't actually say what he needs the money for, for one), but it looks like an awesome game.

So let's see what other Kickstarter projects you think is worth shining a little light on!

1.1K Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • This, and the $10 Penny Arcade kickstarter, both bother me for the same reasons it bothers Darth. Not so much because I feel like anyone yet is really abusing it, but because it's an obvious loophole that someone could abuse, and I wonder if Kickstarter will adjust the rules in the future. "I don't really need your money, but give me some money if you want" is a very odd use of Kickstarter. Why not just throw a donation widget on your site? But it's because they want the attention they'll get on Kickstarter.

I just don't see why they can't at least go through the formality of setting the base goal to a specific amount, perhaps whatever the lowest stretch goal would be, just make that the real goal.

I'm reminded of Kickstarter is not a store. If you're not taking a risk, Kickstarter might not be the right venue

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

@Darth Marsden said: DRM-Free option confirmed in the latest update.

Oh crap, now I'd have to think about backing.

...nahhh, I'm not into the gratuitous beta testing kind of shit since I turned 25 ten years ago. GOG release day 1 purchase, probably. ;)

• Thanks for the share! We've uploaded a new pitch video on Indiegogo at http://igg.me/at/plan9/x/3152901, and also updated the frontpage with some Q&A. Check it out!

• So it's not actually on Kickstarter, but since they're kicking around ideas for tier rewards, I'd say it's only a matter of time. But it's just too interesting an idea not to share in it's current state.

The Wizard of Oz + Steampunk + Zombies = OZombie

(Oh, and the proposed third Alice game is provisionally titled Alice: Otherlands. Just throwing that in there :))

• @Darth Marsden said: So it's not actually on Kickstarter, but since they're kicking around ideas for tier rewards, I'd say it's only a matter of time. But it's just too interesting an idea not to share in it's current state.

The Wizard of Oz + Steampunk + Zombies = OZombie

(Oh, and the proposed third Alice game is provisionally titled Alice: Otherlands. Just throwing that in there :))

Nothing intriguing about that game.

• I brought this game up a while ago and now the first episode is out, THE LAST DOOR, a pixel horror game.

http://thelastdoor.com/index.php/chapter/login

Donation for 10 bucks or 7 Euros gets you the gorgeous soundtrack as well.

• OK, so that Shadow of the Eternals thing.

They've got TWO Kickstarters. The recently launched one on Kickstarter itself and their own, independant one.

I find this VERY problematic.

Oh, and Denis Dyack has posted a 30 minute video (yes, that's HALF AN HOUR) defending himself.

Honestly? Just... no. Actions speak louder than words, and if the company wanted this project to succeed they'd have just gone to Kickstarter as opposed to starting their own similar scheme with questionable wording around pledges being returned and not included Dyack because there's almost no chance this will succeed if he's on board. He has way too much negative press, and whether it's true or not (making no judgements) enough people will straight up distrust him enough to distrust the campaign as well by default.

EDIT: Watching the video. Had to post the funniest line so far:
    "I under estimated the advance of technology on the internet."

• @Darth Marsden said: OK, so that Shadow of the Eternals thing.

They've got TWO Kickstarters. The recently launched one on Kickstarter itself and their own, independant one.

I find this VERY problematic.

Oh, and Denis Dyack has posted a 30 minute video (yes, that's HALF AN HOUR) defending himself.

Honestly? Just... no. Actions speak louder than words, and if the company wanted this project to succeed they'd have just gone to Kickstarter as opposed to starting their own similar scheme with questionable wording around pledges being returned and not included Dyack because there's almost no chance this will succeed if he's on board. He has way too much negative press, and whether it's true or not (making no judgements) enough people will straight up distrust him enough to distrust the campaign as well by default.

EDIT: Watching the video. Had to post the funniest line so far:
    "I under estimated the advance of technology on the internet."

This is the Kickstarter money goes to to die.

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

@Darth Marsden said: I find this VERY problematic.

Well, no need to worry then. The kickstarter is going to bomb anyway. After one week, it's still trending towards less than a third of its goal.

All that despite the fact that for all the stuttering and nervosity Denis displays, there are some sound arguments in that video. You know, kotaku article. :rolleyes: I am rather certain that it is true that several online video game magazines have turned that article down for its limited credibility until kotaku finally picked it up.

Still, they're going to Steam with the stuff anyway, so forget about that crowdfunding vibe please.

Better back the Dark Dungeons movie kickstarter in its final 3 days!

Add Comment