User Avatar Image

The Last Item You Purchased?

posted by Hayden on - last edited - Viewed by 41.7K users

What was it? Whether it was a packet of chips, a video game, a CD, a magazine, a gun, a flower, a yacht or an island, post it here.

My most recent purchase was a CD - Dream Theater's "Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence".

5.5K Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Actually, Thomas Edison didn't invent the first incandescent light bulb. He just invented the most useful one. Humphry Davy was the actual original light bulb inventor. His just wasn't very good. There were twenty-one people inventing light bulbs between him and Edison.

Just saying.

• @Rather Dashing said: I'm just saying, "Just because they did it first" is a poor argument for demeaning the value of inventing something. Doing something first IS by itself a quality worth celebrating by itself. Denigrating that by using "just" to pretend the act of inventing how to do open 3D games is in some way no less impressive than just doing "that, but again" is ridiculous. Two things that are exactly the same other than one being the first to ever do what they do are not actually equal things, there's a real false equivalency there.

I'm not arguing that it's not important, I'm not even saying that it's not entertaining. I'm just saying that being first doesn't inherently make it best or most entertaining.

@Rather Dashing said: Actually, Thomas Edison didn't invent the first incandescent light bulb. He just invented the most useful one. Humphry Davy was the actual original light bulb inventor. His just wasn't very good. There were twenty-one people inventing light bulbs between him and Edison.

Just saying.

I really debated whether or not to say "Edison", because I knew someone would say something.

• So an Edison light bulb would be worthless *smashes it*.

• @Alcoremortis said: Actually, Thomas Edison didn't invent the first incandescent light bulb. He just invented the most useful one. Humphry Davy was the actual original light bulb inventor. His just wasn't very good. There were twenty-one people inventing light bulbs between him and Edison.

Just saying.

I wish I was educated.

• @GuruGuru214 said: I really debated whether or not to say "Edison", because I knew someone would say something.

I let it slide because frankly it was beside the point.

• @GuruGuru214 said: I'm not arguing that it's not important, I'm not even saying that it's not entertaining. I'm just saying that being first doesn't inherently make it best or most entertaining.

That's what I'm saying.

I was just pointing out that some people (not specifically meaning Dashing) place a lot more weight on originality than I think they should, at the expense of considering other factors.

Now, granted originality is important, or else the market stagnates. But, for example, there's all this complaining about Tomb Raider because people think it an Uncharted clone; nevermind if it's any good.

And also, it's just my opinion, but I don't think Zelda: Majora's Mask is as good a game as Ocarina of Time or Twilight Princess (don't hate me, Guru), even though Majora's Mask is a much more original approach to the franchise.

• @Chyron8472 said:
    And also, it's just my opinion, but I don't think Zelda: Majora's Mask is as good a game as Ocarina of Time or Twilight Princess (don't hate me, Guru), even though Majora's Mask is a much more original approach to the franchise.

He's not the one you have to worry about there.

• @Chyron8472 said: And also, it's just my opinion, but I don't think Zelda: Majora's Mask is as good a game as Ocarina of Time or Twilight Princess (don't hate me, Guru), even though Majora's Mask is a much more original approach to the franchise.

I wouldn't call Majora's Mask better or worse than Ocarina of Time. Just different. It's a damn fine game, quite possibly my favorite Zelda, but I have to be in a different sort of mood to play it.

Add Comment