User Avatar Image

The Xbox One

posted by Darth Marsden on - last edited - Viewed by 7.4K users

Little surprised no-one's talking about the XBox One, which was officially announced today.

And has a stupid name.

Really, there's a lot we could say about this console, but I'll just bullet-point the best bits.

- It's called the XBox One. Even though it's actually the third. *sigh*
- The controller is extremely similar to the 360s, with a better D-Pad and higher Home button.
- It comes with an updated Kinect... that the console WILL NOT FUCTION WITHOUT.
- It won't be backwards compatible. With anything. 360 games, XBLA games, nothing. *facepalm*
- Playing a used game? You'll be charged a fee to do so.

In short - fail. The used games thing is perhaps the biggest kick in the teeth, and it's going to ruin this console.

EDIT: Oh, you're all talking about it in the "Whatever's On Your Mind" thread. Well, whatever.

687 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Everyone's talking about it in the Whatever's on your mind thread. I missed the announcement, and as I have little interest in the console itself, but everyone seems to be slating it somewhat awful.

*edit*
    You Ninja-edited. Darn you!

• I have the urge to tell someone fuck you. Where are these guy's Twitters?

• @Friar said: Everyone's talking about it in the Whatever's on your mind thread. I missed the announcement, and as I have little interest in the console itself, but everyone seems to be slating it somewhat awful.

Yeah, just saw that. Oh well.

It's those last three bullet points of mine that are the big problems, and understandably so.

The Kinect's only real use was for Dancing games, so forcing everyone to have one, even if it's not used much, will merely bump up the price tag for the console and upset everyone in that regard. And I'm sure I don't need to remind you of what happens when hardcore games try to use it *COUGH*Steel Battalion*COUGH*

The lack of backwards compatibility is frustrating as all hell (though not entirely unsurprising), and the lack of it is going to make it hard to justify buying the console until there's enough new games out for it. Why should we buy a new console with few games and no way to play the old ones? The 360 still works fine. No reason to upgrade.

The fine for playing used games though is frankly insulting. There is no reason this should exist. At all. It's simply punishing people for not buying new and it's going to completely kill the rental market. And with no way to try games before buying them, people won't bother.

• There has not been an XBOX system I've felt I could go without.

Wii? Loved it to death. Buying a WiiU this winter.
    PS3? Killed it, loved it to death.

XBOX? I always end up buying the HALO games and that's about it, then reselling the system for cash.

On a different note, it's hilarious noting the aging gamer demographic. People are starting to sound like their grandparents with their complaints about all this newfangled technology and stuff they don't like, and how the next generation of gamers are spoiled or have it easy.

It's easy because we have documentation of the Romans complaining about the same damn shit.

Every generation thinks the next one is ruining things or spoiled blah blah blah.

• I'd do my usual thing about how it's great they're not doing games but I'll just get yelled at so toodle-oo.

• @Ribs said: I'd do my usual thing about how it's great they're not doing games but I'll just get yelled at so toodle-oo.

Oh, but they are! 15 exclusives!

5 of which are going to be sports games!

...sigh...

• The more I read up on this console, the more stupid it sounds... -_-

Looks like it will be PC and Wii U only this gen for me.
    (Maybe PS4, if Sony doesn't do anything stupid, but I'm not holding my breath over it. I'd argue the 3DS is the current killer console to watch (since you know, it has actual games that people with any sense of taste would give a fuck about))

• @RetroVortex said: The more I read up on this console, the more stupid it sounds... -_-

Seconded, especially following the internet thing Puzzlebox mentioned.

• This has just strengthened my decision to not buy a new console this year or next or possibly ever. I'll just build a new PC.

Still, Xbox One is at least a better name than the rumoured Xbox 720 idea (and far better than Wii/Wii U).

Add Comment