User Avatar Image

The Xbox One

posted by Darth Marsden on - last edited - Viewed by 4.0K users

Little surprised no-one's talking about the XBox One, which was officially announced today.

And has a stupid name.

Really, there's a lot we could say about this console, but I'll just bullet-point the best bits.

- It's called the XBox One. Even though it's actually the third. *sigh*
- The controller is extremely similar to the 360s, with a better D-Pad and higher Home button.
- It comes with an updated Kinect... that the console WILL NOT FUCTION WITHOUT.
- It won't be backwards compatible. With anything. 360 games, XBLA games, nothing. *facepalm*
- Playing a used game? You'll be charged a fee to do so.

In short - fail. The used games thing is perhaps the biggest kick in the teeth, and it's going to ruin this console.

EDIT: Oh, you're all talking about it in the "Whatever's On Your Mind" thread. Well, whatever.

687 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Draconian changes really. The internet connection thing is bothersome, but really, the big issue for me is the having to pay for used games.

I buy most my games from pawn shops.

• The problem isn't used games. The reason the used game market even exists is because the price of new games are far too expensive (especially on release), prohibitively so. If a serious push was made to reduce the standing price of new games then the used game market would get smaller and potentially developers get more profits.

With these used charges Microsoft plan to implement, they better be giving the money to the people who made the games otherwise it's just theft.

• If Xbox One games = PC games at launch then maybe, MAYBE its bearable.
    (£30 max at launch, with fast sales after a month or two)

But c'mon here guys, we know that would never happen! XD

• The "fee" for used games is also apparently not just some Project Ten Dollar minor surcharge, but the full price of the game.

[quote=Kotaku]Here's how the system works: when you buy an Xbox One game, you'll get a unique code that you enter when you install that game. You'll have to connect to the Internet in order to authorize that code, and the code can only be used once. Once you use it, that game will then be linked to your Xbox Live account. "It sits on your harddrive and you have permission to play that game as long as you’d like," Harrison said.

Other users on the console will be able to play that game as well, Harrison said. So you don't need to buy multiple games per family. "With the built-in parental controls of the system it is shared amog the users of the device," he said.

But what if you want to bring a game disc to a friend's house and play there? You'll have to pay a fee—and not just some sort of activation fee, but the actual price of that game—in order to use a game's code on a friend's account. Think of it like a new game, Harrison says.

"The bits that are on that disc, you can give it to your friend and they can install it on an Xbox One," he said. "They would then have to purchase the right to play that game through Xbox Live."

"They would be paying the same price we paid, or less?" we asked.

"Let’s assume it’s a new game, so the answer is yes, it will be the same price," Harrison said.

But that doesn't mean used games are dead. In fact, Harrison told us, you'll be able to sell your Xbox One games online.

"We will have a solution—we’re not talking about it today—for you to be able to trade your previously-played games online," Harrison said.[/quote]

• @corruptbiggins said: The problem isn't used games. The reason the used game market even exists is because the price of new games are far too expensive (especially on release), prohibitively so. If a serious push was made to reduce the standing price of new games then the used game market would get smaller and potentially developers get more profits.

With these used charges Microsoft plan to implement, they better be giving the money to the people who made the games otherwise it's just theft.

50 bucks has been the price of a game for as long as I can remember. I think accounting for inflation, 60 seems reasonable.

• @Rather Dashing said: The "fee" for used games is also apparently not just some Project Ten Dollar minor surcharge, but the full price of the game.

That's just stupid. They're just turning off people.

• Spielberg working on Halo TV series? WTF?

• Well thanks Microsoft. I now know who to pick between you and the PS4 this generation. PS4 it is!

• User Avatar Image
    Darth Marsden Moderator

Bonus round! The controller feels lovely (apparently) but requires 2 AA batteries.

Yes, the controller doesn't include a built-in battery.

Honestly, the controller's the ONE THING they got right, and then they go and screw it up.

• Hope the controller hooks up to PC, especially if it works through the existing 360 dongle. That is actually a really nice improvement over what I'm using now.

Also dammit every minute something terrible seems to be said by some spokesman or said in some press document, I'll have to collect all the terrible things and put them together.

Add Comment