User Avatar Image

Is it just me who took an automatic dislike to Duck?

posted by Jspiteri on - last edited - Viewed by 363 users

I felt kind of bad that I could dislike a poor defensless little kid and not have a reason to back it up. I even kind of felt slightly ok that he turned into a walker and got shot in the head by his dad. I finished the game and watched Toy Story with my niece the day after.

I now know why I hated Duck so much. He is literally the identical twin of that evil shit that is known to all of us as Sid.
Did anyone else feel this way towards him or was it just my crazy deluded brain?

40 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Cthulhu42 said: I can't hate Duck; he's Robin.

Exactly I can't hate Duck because he is a batman and robin fan. I wonder if he read any of the comics. Anyway to be honest I liked Duck there was just something funny about him and also because he Kenny cough my favourite character cough son.

• User Avatar Image
    puzzlebox Telltale Staff

The writers talked about Duck in an interview a while back, but damned if I can find it now. Jim Sterling sums up how I think more than a few players' feelings developed though:

@Jim Sterling said: The character of Duck at first runs the risk of being the exact kind of character I’m critical of. When we first meet this secondary child, he’s annoying and quite stupid, yammering on about tractors and other banal topics. It’s not long before he’s grabbed by a walker and becomes the very burden Clementine manages to avoid being, and later finds himself at the center of an argument over whether or not he’s been bitten. However, by Episode Three, TellTale manages to craft Duck into an immensely likable character, playing on his annoying nature by turning it into a comedic trait, as he pesters Lee into being the Robin to his Batman. In investigating whether or not someone’s been stealing supplies from the group of survivors, Duck is not only funny, but actively useful in confirming the thefts.

Full article: How Telltale’s The Walking Dead Makes You Think of the Children

Basically at first the feedback on Duck was that players were kind of lukewarm about him. That wasn't awesome, because the writers had the events of episode 3 planned out, and for that stuff to hit you emotionally you really need to CARE about Duck. So they focused on adding some more interactions between Lee and Duck where you get to see more of the kid's likable side, including the whole "Batman and Robin" thing.

That's one of the cool things about the episodic model - you can adapt to feedback like that as the game is being created.

• I agree that is a advantage to episodic gaming, and by the way Puzzlebox, the Batman and Robin part of Episode 3 was nothing short of genius.

• Well, that Batman and Robin part of Episode 3 was sorely needed, not just to make us care about Duck but to give us something other than all the heartbreak of that Episode. That was, literally, the only truly happy moment in the episode.

• At best I was indifferent towards Duck. Anything he did didn't sway my opinion of him one way or another until he got bit. I never hated the kid but I did feel bad for him when he was dying.

• @puzzlebox said: The writers talked about Duck in an interview a while back, but damned if I can find it now. Jim Sterling sums up how I think more than a few players' feelings developed though:

Full article: How Telltale’s The Walking Dead Makes You Think of the Children

Basically at first the feedback on Duck was that players were kind of lukewarm about him. That wasn't awesome, because the writers had the events of episode 3 planned out, and for that stuff to hit you emotionally you really need to CARE about Duck. So they focused on adding some more interactions between Lee and Duck where you get to see more of the kid's likable side, including the whole "Batman and Robin" thing.

That's one of the cool things about the episodic model - you can adapt to feedback like that as the game is being created.

for me,it worked ! it went from the start of trying to protect the kids,to actually liking Duck and listening to him,he was so full of life and energy...so to see the atmosphere and what he had turned into on the train,i felt very sad to see him like this,at the end of the day seeing him cared for by his mom was heartbreaking,good job telltale! great writing!

• I agree Rock, I would say the Batman and Robin moment and talking with Carley are the only truly happy moments in Episode 3, and then they both die a hour later.

• I think that running over Shawn only to appear happy-go-lucky a few hours later was a bit of a soured introduction, but I don't think I ever hated the kid. Though unlike Clementine, we didn't get much chance to properly interact with him until episode 3.

His moment to be helpful and think that Lee was incredibly awesome was just enough for me to start warming up to him before the end. Then you see his hyperactivity effectively juxtaposed with him slowly dieing..

• I had story notifications turned off, so I didn't see the "Duck thinks you are incredibly awesome" thing when I high fived him. When I found out about it later, I got really sad for some reason.

• I liked that Clementine liked him, but apart from that, my feelings towards him were very much similar to Pewdiepie's. :/

Add Comment