User Avatar Image

The Kickstarter/Crowdfunding thread

posted by Darth Marsden on - last edited by Jennifer - Viewed by 16.5K users

Since there's probably going to be a fair few Kickstarter projects that aren't done by Tim Schafer, I thought it might be nice to start a separate thread for all the little games on Kickstarter that don't get as much exposure.

For example: Feeble's Fable: The Legend of Runes by Atomic Chimp Games. Another point-and-click adventure game, but this one is going for more of a cute and charming feel. It definitely looks interesting, though they've nowhere near the backing they need. :(

And another: Americana Dawn by one guy, Max K. Lambert. It's a freeware retro-styled RPG about the French & Indian War and the American War for Independence. Kickstarter page is a little bare (he doesn't actually say what he needs the money for, for one), but it looks like an awesome game.

So let's see what other Kickstarter projects you think is worth shining a little light on!

1.1K Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Chyron8472 said: That's dated August 2008.

I think it's more important to consider he got himself kicked off a forum for video game fans. Can't endear him to the community backing him.

• @Rather Dashing said: Trending toward 24%.

Ouch.

I wonder if it'll even hit its trend. I am curious if he burns through the few people that still have goodwill toward him and is left at a dead stop.

• This adventure game Kickstarter is ending in a few days. It has over half the needed funds pledged, and they just need several hundred more backers. Not totally out of the question, but it will be tough. Please spread the word.

AR-K Classic-Style Adventure Game

http://kck.st/ZO4Xs5

• @Darth Marsden said:
    Honestly? Just... no. Actions speak louder than words, and if the company wanted this project to succeed they'd have just gone to Kickstarter as opposed to starting their own similar scheme with questionable wording around pledges being returned and not included Dyack because there's almost no chance this will succeed if he's on board. He has way too much negative press, and whether it's true or not (making no judgements) enough people will straight up distrust him enough to distrust the campaign as well by default.

EDIT: Watching the video. Had to post the funniest line so far:
    "I under estimated the advance of technology on the internet."

Excuse me, but has your name ever been dragged through the mud on every gaming news site as a result of anonymous claims? I don't know if the claims are true, but he had every right to defend himself in as long a video as he wishes. I thought he came off great in the video, FWIW.

What is this "Just... no" nonsense?

I believe in hearing both sides, not saying "just shut up" when someone is trying to defend their name and reputation.

Some people are too quick to join the internet lynch because it feels like the trendy thing to do.

• @MtnPeak said: What is this "Just... no" nonsense?

Whether the article about X-Men Destiny was true or not, the man has had a lot of... shall we say 'not particularly positive' incidents in the past. A quick Google search of his name will provide several examples of that.

The man has a lot of negativity attached to him, justified or not, and Precursor Games knew this when they took him on board to work on Shadow of the Colossus Eternals.They couldn't not have known. So presumably they gambled on the game being bigger than his reputation. Turns out it probably isn't.

The fact they've got Dyack to do this video now, when it's becoming increasingly likely that they won't make their target, is a case of 'too little, too late'. He's had months to make the sort of statements he did in his video, but releasing it now? When the Kickstarter is stalling? The timing is interesting if nothing else.

Which is why I said "Just...no". Because that's how I feel. I don't care about the project any more. It could be awesome, and if it is, I may well buy it when/if it's released. But I'm done with it until then.

• @MtnPeak said: This adventure game Kickstarter is ending in a few days. It has over half the needed funds pledged, and they just need several hundred more backers. Not totally out of the question, but it will be tough. Please spread the word.

AR-K Classic-Style Adventure Game

http://kck.st/ZO4Xs5

That floppy disk idea is effing awesome.

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

Forget AR-K. Fund this one please.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/315061806/nelly-cootalot-the-fowl-fleet-retro-pirate-adventu

Or at least find the pitch video a stroke of genius.

• Fortunately, I can do both!

...I can also cower at the mighty power of his epic beard of +3 awesomeness.

Add Comment