User Avatar Image

Rate The Last Movie(s) You Watched

posted by Secret Fawful on - last edited - Viewed by 20.3K users

Same as the Rate the Last Game You Finished topic but with movies. There should be more film talk around here. So, I'll start off with the movies I've seen in the past few days.

Law-Abiding Citizen - 5.5/11

Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World - 7/11

Sword of the Stranger - 9/11

Blade Runner: Final Cut - 11/11

Blade Runner is one of those films I want to love but also want to hate.

1.8K Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Johro said: Re-animator is great, Bride is okay, Beyond is shitty. It's enjoyably shitty, but it's not a good movie by any means.

Agreed.

Re-animator is one of my favourite films, it's so ridiculous. I love Jeffrey Combs. Beyond Re-animator though, although I don't really like I have watched it at least 3 times.

From Beyond is another Lovecraft story directed by Stuart Gordon and starring Jeffrey Combs. It's also ridiculous and disgusting but not horrendously shit. If you ever watch it, don't watch it when you're eating.

• I think you missed the bit where I said "horrible". I enjoyed them immensely, though, because they were so over the top ridiculous with the weird monsters and buckets of fake blood and because of Herbert West, who should never be left alone with a dead body, or even parts ever.

My "good" rating is that they were incredibly fun to watch, right through bad plot, terrible special effects, unmemorable characters, ridiculous dialogue... somehow the mixture created something amazing. I just had to keep watching to see what would happen next. It was a good type of bad movie, not the type where I just fall asleep fifteen minutes in.

EDIT (spoilers for Into Darkness): I also have to say that these movies really opened my eyes about what Doctor McCoy was trying to accomplish in Into Darkness. He'd just watched Re-Animator, and knew that injecting mysterious liquids into individuals was the key to reanimating them. Also, Khan is three hundred years old, which means that if Star Trek is in the twenty-third century, he must have come from the twentieth century. Guess who also came from the twentieth century? Dr. Herbert West! They even look nothing alike! So Khan is really West after he perfected the reanimating serum, gave himself a dose (which turned him into Benedict Cumberbatch), and now he has magic blood that can reanimate people as a result. Which means that in the next movie, Kirk will probably go insane and try to eat someone's face, because these things never work like they claim on the tin. Especially when West is involved.

• On Stuart Gordon's movies:

From Beyond is pretty damn good, especially in creature effects. I need to see Dagon as well. Might watch that soon.

• Beyond was great because of West's pitying looks at everyone who wasn't him, the Bonzai! rat guy, and the junkie guy at the end. They made the movie.

• @Alcoremortis said: Beyond was great because of West's pitying looks at everyone who wasn't him, the Bonzai! rat guy, and the junkie guy at the end. They made the movie.

No, no, I mean FROM BEYOND...not Beyond Re-Animator...it's an entirely different Stuart Gordon movie.

• Oh, never mind then... Still that junkie guy...

• Star Trek Into Darkness 8/10

I’m not a Trekkie, but it was pretty enjoyable. Especially because of a heavy presence of Sherlock.

• Re-Animator - 9/10
    Bride of Re-Animator - 9/10
    Beyond Re-Animator - 3/10
    Final Act of Beyond Re-Animator - 8/10

• I totally agree with Fawful's assessment.

The end of Beyond Re-Animator was just so cornball and hilarious I can't not give it a good score. But the rest of it was pretty awful and I don't remember any of the character's names nor did I care about anyone who wasn't Herbert West.

And then the junkie guy showed up and everything was suddenly better.

• @Noname215 said: Star Trek Into Darkness 8/10

I’m not a Trekkie, but it was pretty enjoyable. Especially because of a heavy presence of Sherlock.

Cumberbatch played an excellent villain. That voice.:eek:

Add Comment