User Avatar Image

Star Trek... the Next Thread

posted by BagginsKQ on - last edited - Viewed by 1.2K users

**IRISHMILE EDIT** ok here is your Star Trek thread instead of talking about it on the Kings Quest section.. Enjoy.. we will now return to your previous conversation.............
** END IRISHMILE EDIT**

I'd surely like to ignore the last Star Trek movie (what kind of writer destroys "Romulus and Remus" in an offscreen/minor incident, rather than focusing on it as a major movie in its own right/Why ignore 60 years of Star Trek time travel mechanics? I.E. if you change time, your previous timeline ceases to exist/paradox created, I.E. City on the Edge of Forever (Original Series), Yesterday's Enterprise (TNG) or Past Tense on DS9, etc, thus the need for Temporal Prime Directives, and an agency that monitors for changes in the timeline?)

http://www.tunequest.org/star-trek-2009-permanency/20090604/

...or the last episode of Enterprise...

Oh well... unfortunately all future Star Trek shows and movies will take those into account... Nothing I can do about it...

140 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @DAISHI said: They're all on Netflix too. TOS, TNG, DS9, VOY, ENT.

And just like Netflix these are not available outside the US.
    How wonderful. Now I get to not watch them on two sites!

• @der_ketzer said: Now I get to not watch them on two sites!

Go us.

I'm used to videos not working.

• What happened to my thread. Moving these here is great, but the way it's situated, some posts don't even make sense now.

Whoever did this, they've disobeyed the Prime Directive. It goes THIS FAH....NO FURTHAH.

• 250px-Milesobrien.jpg

Another reason to love this guy is he sings "The Minstrel Boy" as his personal theme song.

• User Avatar Image
    Darth Marsden Moderator

@Secret Fawful said: What happened to my thread. Moving these here is great, but the way it's situated, some posts don't even make sense now.

Whoever did this, they've disobeyed the Prime Directive. It goes THIS FAH....NO FURTHAH.

I'm a Star Wars fan. The Prime Directive holds no power over me!

• @der_ketzer said: And just like Netflix these are not available outside the US.
    How wonderful. Now I get to not watch them on two sites!

If you have a Netflix account and travel to the US you will get to watch the US content. You can travel to the US with stuff like the AnonymoX add-on for Firefox and Chrome. It's not great unless you go premium, but it's cheaper than an airline ticket.

• Hey, what happened to the old Star Trek thread?

Anywho, Star Trek might be the first thing I remember watching. Some of my first memories are watching Mudd's Women on VHS taken from the local library. Tere's something magical about those three years that I'll never grow tired of. A few years later I caught a rerun of a random episode of TNG, which by sheer luck was Relics, pretty mich the best episode to start TNG on after just watching TOS for so long.

TNG is my favorite Star Trek but it'll never be as special to me as the original five-year mission. If that makes any sense.

• @Secret Fawful said: You want to see how much Abramsverse screwed up. Watch Episode 2, Yesteryear, of The Animated Series.

Within that episode, young Spock is taught lessons about life that would shape him, and so are we. The audience is made to understand the way of life of Vulcan much better in that half hour, and the teachings and ways of Vulcans, and why they live without emotion, much better than Abrams could in five hours. It's relatable, instead of Spock is part human so Spock is angsty and also an asshole. Instead of just going on and on about morals for comic relief, Spock's logic dictates valuable insight.

The episode teaches us about Vulcans and Spock as a character much as a father would teach his child about life. It's great.

There is a Voyager episode about why Vulcans suppress emotions, as well it is explored a bit in Enterprise.

As I have said, Trek needs new fans, and making another Prime Universe show or movie isn't going to do it. Now that the reboot uses a different timeline, the characters and their culture can be explored in new and different ways without restrictions imposed on them by the Prime universe.

People used to complain that Berman was holding Trek back from trying new things. Now that the franchise has a fresh start, people complain because it's not what they are used to.

It also occurs to me that people cite one episode or movie and say "that is the epitome of Trek," and use it to explain why Abrams sucks; yet at the same time, they complained about Trek long before the reboot.

• I'm thinking Enterprise 2: Too Many Archers! inwhich Scott Bakula plays every part is the way to go

• Kind of like the (really did exist) play of Charles Dickens' A Christmas Carol, starring Patrick Stewart, in which Patrick Stewart plays every single part.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Christmas_Carol_(play)

Add Comment