User Avatar Image

The Xbox One

posted by Darth Marsden on - last edited - Viewed by 7.7K users

Little surprised no-one's talking about the XBox One, which was officially announced today.

And has a stupid name.

Really, there's a lot we could say about this console, but I'll just bullet-point the best bits.

- It's called the XBox One. Even though it's actually the third. *sigh*
- The controller is extremely similar to the 360s, with a better D-Pad and higher Home button.
- It comes with an updated Kinect... that the console WILL NOT FUCTION WITHOUT.
- It won't be backwards compatible. With anything. 360 games, XBLA games, nothing. *facepalm*
- Playing a used game? You'll be charged a fee to do so.

In short - fail. The used games thing is perhaps the biggest kick in the teeth, and it's going to ruin this console.

EDIT: Oh, you're all talking about it in the "Whatever's On Your Mind" thread. Well, whatever.

687 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Jesus £600!? It's like they don't know how much $80 is!

• and yet, people will pay $500 or more for a fricken iPad. You know who you are.

If it can play games, control your TV, TiVo, Bluray player, external speakers, and whatever else; watch Netflix (et al), get NFL Sunday Ticket (all NFL games live and on demand), and whatever else... then you can bet that some people would pay for it.

After all, people are willing to pay a thousand dollars for a simple surround speaker amp.

• @Vainamoinen said: READING must not be one of your strengths.

noprices.png

i did read it actually just SAYIN i ain't paying them amounts....and since i did put more than one amount up i hoped people would get the implied costs i'm not happy paying, with out very good reasons so far i have 2 which isn't enough vain

comprende ? ;)

@Vainamoinen said: and yet, people will pay $500 or more for a fricken iPad. You know who you are.

every time a new model comes out as well !

• @puzzlebox said: Something that wasn't announced on the stream: apparently it needs to connect to the internet once every 24 hours.

I was actually going to mention that,I knew someone would beat me to it though,at least it was a Telltale employee.

• Holy fuck that buggeroffkinja guy is a fucking tool.

The delicious irony is if you can afford to waste the bandwidth reading this article (and complaining about the connection requirement). You can sure as hell connect your xbox to the internet once every 24 hours to validate your session.

Let the irrational nerd tears flow!

After quite a few legit reasons why people can't get (stable / reliable) Internet, some being people who travel a lot, people in the service, people in certain parts of the US that don't have any coverage from any ISP, cases where the router just randomly dies, cases where the Internet might be down due to maintainance or perhaps even a fucking hurricane, in case of moving to another place, cases where Microsoft's servers are down, those are only a few of the instances, this person is just saying, "just purchase a PS4 then."

Also, a nice counter-argument:

1) Phones have Internet.
    2) Libraries have Internet.
    3) People can browse the Internet at work
    4) People can browse the Internet at friends' houses

No nerd tears here. If the system requires validation once a day, then the moment Microsoft stops supporting it EVERY GAME EVER BOUGHT FOR IT IS GARBAGE. So the games have no value. There is no need for "tears", Microsoft just fucked up massively. Done and done.

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

@GaryCXJk said: After quite a few legit reasons why people can't get (stable / reliable) Internet, some being people who travel a lot, people in the service, people in certain parts of the US that don't have any coverage from any ISP, cases where the router just randomly dies, cases where the Internet might be down due to maintainance or perhaps even a fucking hurricane, in case of moving to another place, cases where Microsoft's servers are down, those are only a few of the instances, this person is just saying, "just purchase a PS4 then."

The availability of internet in some regions might be a valid argument, but sincerely, absolutely not why I'd protest. I simply do not see why I should allow a miserable company to routinely check whether I'm an actual customer of theirs every 24 hours. In fact, I demand that they leave me the fuck alone with the legally purchased product.

• xb1 = bigbrother gaming edition..

i have a webcam but i always disconnect it when i'm not using it which is most of the time as that nagging doubt someone could see me through it..

can you imagine the problems if the authentication system goes down / temporary web shutdown' you take a day off work to buy/play a new game.. but you get home and find out you can't do squat with it because of the above reasons...

and what's the penalty for not having the system linked up within every 24 hours ? is it cos they feel the system is going to be akin to windows full of bugs? and needs patching almost every freaking day ?

'hal' quote 'i can't let you do that (insert name here 'portal/synth voice optional')

then proceeds to do a system check/update scan then refuses you access to anything till it's finished. occasionally popping up a qte moment to make sure you haven't just left it alone and if you have it then restarts and waits for you to come back, and cos of kinect it'll know you're there ;)

• @Milosuperspesh said: i did read it actually just SAYIN i ain't paying them amounts....and since i did put more than one amount up i hoped people would get the implied costs i'm not happy paying, with out very good reasons so far i have 2 which isn't enough vain

comprende ? ;)

No.

• The X stands for XTREME!!!!!!!!!!!

• Can the Xbox One even order Pizza Hut?

Add Comment