User Avatar Image

Sonic The Hedgehog Thread

posted by ryannumber1gamer on - last edited - Viewed by 2.5K users

Sonic the hedgehog is a great video game character. Now i never had to do this before but i feel since this is a thread about Sonic i need to set some rules.

1.While you may talk about the bad Sonic games please don't turn this thread into a rant about Sonic being good then bad then starting to get good since Sonic Unleashed's day time levels.

2.This is a thread for fans of Classic Sonic,Modern Sonic, & fans of both so please respect others opinions.

3.Please no huge rants about Modern Sonic.

4.No huge rants about Sonic Characters/Sonic having too many friends. You may talk about Sonic characters you hate and why you hate them but no huge rants about Sonic being the only good Sonic Character.

I'm sorry about all those rules but this being a Sonic thread i felt i needed to set some ground rules.

You can talk about Sonic Games,Sonic Characters,Sonic Comics,Sonic cartoons and anything Sonic. You can even talk about Mario here.

Anyway he has been in loads of video games, A lot good, Some Bad. My question is what is your favorite Sonic game? Mine is a tie between Sonic Generations,Sonic Adventure DX, & Sonic Adventure 2 Battle.

107 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @coolsome said: The story in 06 sucked ass as well as the gameplay.

But you can still see that they were more concentrated on the story than the gameplay, considering the fact that the story was far too complicated for a Sonic game.

• @ParadoxalMindElla1 said: Exactly my point. SEGA is obviously afraid of making anothes Sonic 06 (aren't we all?) where they obviously concentrated mostly on the storyline than gameplay, and now while they focus on making a good gameplay, the plot suffers.

and the worst thing about it is that we all know Sonic stories can be done well and with a lot of characters because look at the Archie comics. I think every Sonic character is in it and they even add a lot more. They make people more better with Charmy being the example. I think Archie could make the story as good as the comics.

• @ryannumber1gamer said: and the worst thing about it is that we all know Sonic stories can be done well and with a lot of characters because look at the Archie comics. I think every Sonic character is in it and they even add a lot more. They make people more better with Charmy being the example. I think Archie could make the story as good as the comics.

True. Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the events of SA2 also present in the comics? (I saw it on Sonic X but there are no comics in my country) And now SA2 is one of the most popular Sonic games. Why can't SEGA just learn on their past actions?

• Saying the comics are actually good... >xD

• @ParadoxalMindElla1 said: True. Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the events of SA2 also present in the comics? (I saw it on Sonic X but there are no comics in my country) And now SA2 is one of the most popular Sonic games. Why can't SEGA just learn on their past actions?

I think so, all games were adapted as comics and if i remember i think SA 1 & 2 got their own story arcs. I'm not sure though.

• Sonic '06 failed because the game was rushed out for the 20th anniversary, resulting in a glitchy mess. The story was atrocious, yes, but if the gameplay had been solid it wouldn't have been quite so badly received. Maybe.

I welcome simpler stories, because I don't give a flying foosball about the story in most Sonic games. The plots are clichéd and stupid, the voicework in the cutscenes rarely reaches 'OK' levels and each game just kept (re)introducing characters we don't care about in lieu of actually doing something interesting with the ones we already have.

I'm not saying that every Sonic game has to have a practically non-existent story, but by focusing less on complex plots and extraneous characters to instead just having a more straightforward adventure, the game can appeal to far more people and be more 'pick up and play' friendly (I hesitate to say they'd be more 'casual' for obvious reasons). I think that's a good direction to go in given the series' track record and it seems to be working pretty well thus far.

• @Darth Marsden said: Sonic '06 failed because the game was rushed out for the 20th anniversary, resulting in a glitchy mess. The story was atrocious, yes, but if the gameplay had been solid it wouldn't have been quite so badly received. Maybe.

I welcome simpler stories, because I don't give a flying foosball about the story in most Sonic games. The plots are clichéd and stupid, the voicework in the cutscenes rarely reaches 'OK' levels and each game just kept (re)introducing characters we don't care about in lieu of actually doing something interesting with the ones we already have.

I'm not saying that every Sonic game has to have a practically non-existent story, but by focusing less on complex plots and extraneous characters to instead just having a more straightforward adventure, the game can appeal to far more people and be more 'pick up and play' friendly (I hesitate to say they'd be more 'casual' for obvious reasons). I think that's a good direction to go in given the series' track record and it seems to be working pretty well thus far.

I agree but only to an extent. While i enjoyed the story in some Sonic games (Sonic Adventure 1 & 2,Sonic Battle, and some others) I do not like the story in others. But i do enjoy most of the story arcs in the Archie comics because there is a big difference to the games. The comics could have some drama, the comics could be simple stories at one time and big arcs at others. The characters do go through character development and Archie just come up with good ideas for stories. That's why i hope Sega does begin making games in the Archie Sonic universe. The characters are less annoying and enjoyable. It has comic exclusive characters that are enjoyable such as Nicole,Sally,Bunnie and others and even makes other characters less annoying again Charmy Bee being my example.

• @ryannumber1gamer said: I think so, all games were adapted as comics and if i remember i think SA 1 & 2 got their own story arcs. I'm not sure though.

I should find some the comics on the internet, I'd really want to read them.

• @Darth Marsden said: ... I'm not saying that every Sonic game has to have a practically non-existent story, but by focusing less on complex plots and extraneous characters to instead just having a more straightforward adventure, the game can appeal to far more people and be more 'pick up and play' friendly (I hesitate to say they'd be more 'casual' for obvious reasons). I think that's a good direction to go in given the series' track record and it seems to be working pretty well thus far.

You mean like Sonic Advance 1, 2 and 3 for Gameboy? Those were quite enjoyable.

• @ParadoxalMindElla1 said: I should find some the comics on the internet, I'd really want to read them.

If ya got a IPad or IPhone, there is an Archie Sonic app where you can get the comics. I believe for when Generations was coming, Archie put their game adaptions into 3 different collections for £2.49 each (I don't know how much that would be in dollars) The first collection is adaptions of Genesis to Dreamcast games. The Second collection is the Dreamcast stories which are Sonic Adventure 1 & 2 and Shuffle i think. Again SA 1 & 2 have story arcs collected in that. The last collection is Shadow the Hedgehog to Sonic 4 Episode 2.

Add Comment