User Avatar Image

How Do You Feel About Telltale's Direction?

posted by Alcoremortis on - last edited - Viewed by 2.8K users

Just like the good old days, back when a simple discussion of who the best male and female users on the forum were could turn into half the people here changing their avatars to eyevatars... and still seem perfectly natural.

I miss those days.

293 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Vainamoinen said: Simple cause and effect.

Telltale makes games true to the chosen license.

That definitely means:
    Telltale picks up traditional adventure game license >>> Telltale makes traditional adventure game.
    Telltale choses to not make traditional adventure game >>> Telltale drops traditional adventure game license.

That's all there is. Yet the equation

Telltale doesn't make traditional adventures >>> Telltale can't make traditional adventures

that keeps popping up is downright stupid very very debatable.

It's not the licenses they pick up, it's the tone of that interview Dan Connors did. They (or, at least, the ones in power) appear to have no interest in making traditional adventure games. That's very different from not being able to with the franchises they have or that they are able to pick up. They have proved they are capable on both.

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

@tbm1986 said: They have proved they are capable on both.

That's my point, yeah. :o

• @MtnPeak said: When it comes to Tim Schafer, Gilbert and Dave Grossman, many have said that it's not hard to see who was, and who wasn't, the real creative brains behind Day of the Tentacle and Monkey Island.

Who exactly has been saying this? Grossman is well known for his work on Monkey Island and DOTT, and I hardly think it's appropriate to retroactively stop appreciating what he contributed to those classics.

• @Vainamoinen said: Telltale picks up traditional adventure game license >>> Telltale makes traditional adventure game.
    Telltale choses to not make traditional adventure game >>> Telltale drops traditional adventure game license.

That's all there is. Yet the equation

Telltale doesn't make traditional adventures >>> Telltale can't make traditional adventures

that keeps popping up is downright stupid very very debatable.

As I said, it's due to lack of meeting expectation. We want them to make adventure games, and when they don't we assert that they can't anymore, when really it's just that they don't want to.

Therefore, once our expectations of them change (I said change, not lower), we can come to appreciate what they're doing with their games.

...oh. Except for the feelies. Don't buy TTG's feelies because you're bound to be paying for a restaurant napkin that has an iron-on decal affixed to it.

• @Chyron8472 said: ...oh. Except for the feelies. Don't buy TTG's feelies because you're bound to be paying for a restaurant napkin that has an iron-on decal affixed to it.

My Sam & Max Case File has something to say about that.

• @allaboardfilms said: My Sam & Max Case File has something to say about that.

Yeah, the Sam & Max case files were good, but the ToMI "treasure chest" was an extreme let down in comparison.

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

@Chyron8472 said: As I said, it's due to lack of meeting expectation. We want them to make adventure games, and when they don't we assert that they can't anymore, when really it's just that they don't want to.

That's exactly it. And when we search for a reason why this is done by the fan base of the traditional adventure game, the answer pretty obviously is...

...as some kind of 'punishment'. :rolleyes:

• @flesk said: Yeah, the Sam & Max case files were good, but the ToMI "treasure chest" was an extreme let down in comparison.

The Jurassic Park deluxe edition was also pretty cool. All the feelies inside were of nice quality and even the shipping box was made to look like an InGen new employee kit. It's just a shame that the game disc in the bottom wasn't as nice as the big layer of feelies on top.

• User Avatar Image
    Jennifer Moderator

@GuruGuru214 said: The Jurassic Park deluxe edition was also pretty cool. All the feelies inside were of nice quality and even the shipping box was made to look like an InGen new employee kit. It's just a shame that the game disc in the bottom wasn't as nice as the big layer of feelies on top.

The Back to the Future one was as well, with the box made up to be from the Hill Valley Preservation Society. Plus, I quite liked the deluxe cover (with Marty, Doc, and young Doc in BTTF III poster style) better than the standard one.

The Tales of Monkey Island deluxe edition was really the only one people had problems with (mostly because of the flimsy map, and because of the slip-over cover), but I even liked that one to be honest (I quite liked the slipcover because it was a throwback to the paper dolls that were made for the first Monkey Island).

• I made a piece of art and an essay to express my feelings on this topic.

Add Comment