User Avatar Image

Poker night 2 cheats outrageously

posted by CrazyGoNuts on - last edited - Viewed by 15.3K users

The odds against what the computer is getting is so astronomical I can only assume it is cheating. I lose every showdown no matter what the odds are - as an example, I went up against one of the computers with a hand that had the same high card and a higher low card, such as

Ace - king

and the computer had

ace - 2

and then on the flop there were two 2's. This happened literally 3 times in a row (not aces and twos every time, but we both had the same high card and I had a better low). Then the very next hand one of the cpus went blind all in before the flop and got a royal flush. I have played poker for many years and I've never seen anyone get a royal flush before, getting it blind is ridiculous. I played one tournament where I lost 9 showdowns in a row where my "chances" were over 75% before the flop.

Why would anyone ever want to play a poker game that cheats? What is wrong with you, telltale?

93 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @crazypills77 said: I dont even play poker (got the game for the bounties) and unlocked everything within two days. If someone as inexperienced as me can beat this game without much effort, maybe you're doing something wrong.

    No, the problem is that these people are OVER experienced. They expect the AI to act like their human counterparts.

  • It's funny, the other day I fired it up again while wanting to waste some time while waiting for something to potentially unlock and there was at least 2 hands where I got the card to complete a hand/win where as the AI ether never did or got one swing card.

    So to a lot of people's logic in this thread I must be cheating! :O

  • I haven't had any problems where it seemed like the AI was cheating or had an unfair advantage. I know it feels like that some times when your losing, though.

  • I just got the game, the iPad version, been playing it for two days, and I have already seen some odd and fishy shit go down. Came here out of curiosity, to see what others were saying, and also to check if anyone was writing about the supposed FIVE aces they'd seen in the original Poker Night, since I'm toying with the idea of buying that game as well (wouldn't buy it, of course, if the 5 Aces thing is confirmed by more than one other distraught player). Haven't found that forum yet, but after reading everything on this one, I'm relieved to 'hear' that others are frustrated by some of what's going down in the Poker Night 2 tourneys.

    I have to also say that I play hold 'em on a few online sites with real people (and I've played it in Vegas with real people as well), and sometimes on those online sites I've been suspicious that one or more of the other players was cheating, even though that's not possible - these are real people, just like me, sitting in front of their computer screens trying not to drool over the raging possibility of a straight flush - and sometimes, in the games that have a chat option, I'VE been accused of cheating, during the ultra-rare occasions when I'm on a hellacious roll.

    The bottom line is, there might be something 'off' with the AI in Poker Night 2; whether it's intentional or not, I still don't know. In the two days I've played, I've won 2 Omaha tourneys and 1 Hold 'Em tourney. I actually got FOUR QUEENS in that particular Hold 'Em tourney, much to my delight (and to Ash's disgust). I think the person who wrote 'play smarter' is on to something. I always instinctively know when I'm screwing up, although I also know when I technically SHOULD win and don't, especially in this game, where they actually show the probability percentages. If it starts happening much too often to be 'reasonable' I will, sadly, uninstall the sucker.

  • It is human nature to make excuses when losing. Especially when they lose to AI. Now when games are progressing to direction where AI enemies start to feel/play smarter and smarter, it is not something many players are used to yet unless they like to play Chess against the challenging computer opponent or something like that.

  • The "5 ACES!?!" thing is more than likely a post from a player that is not 100% familiar to poker and/or hold'em rules. I know it took hours of playing before I realized the cards beng dealt to the table was not my personal hand. I initially assumed everyone got 7 cards, 2 hidden and 5 shown. And I was boggled as to why I had a hard time figuring out how to see the others cards. >_>

  • Thanks for offering a reasonable explanation for the Five Aces phenom, appreciate it.

    After playing over 30 tourneys now, I see what everyone's talking about very clearly. The AI is seriously f)()ed up. I usually always make it to the one-on-one showdown, both in Hold 'em and Omaha. And almost every single f#($ing time, the opponent winds up taking me down, with some ridiculous 'magical' river card. Specific example: yesterday I had an ACE HIGH Flush, and Claptrap went all in with his ridiculous 2 and 9 - unsuited. Can't even make a straight out of that. At the river, however, lo and behold, he wound up with a full house.

    This happens so often that I'm starting to lose interest in busting my hump to make it to the one-on-one showdown. Starting not to see the point any more, regardless of how much fun the game is on its own, if one can play without any attachment to the final outcome. I've been trying to do that - just play for the pure fun of it - but it becomes more and more frustrating every time. Might wind up uninstalling, unfortunately.

    Just for the record: I'm not one to 'make excuses when losing' (especially to AI). I've been playing video and computer games for years, and I love the challenge of a cleverly programmed AI. In Chess, especially. This is a much different situation.

  • @Robbino said: This happens so often that I'm starting to lose interest in busting my hump to make it to the one-on-one showdown.

    The freezing and stuttering in the game happens so often that I completely lost interest in playing Poker Night 2 weeks ago.

  • @CrazyGoNuts said: The odds against what the computer is getting is so astronomical I can only assume it is cheating. I lose every showdown no matter what the odds are - as an example, I went up against one of the computers with a hand that had the same high card and a higher low card, such as

    Ace - king

    and the computer had

    ace - 2

    and then on the flop there were two 2's. This happened literally 3 times in a row (not aces and twos every time, but we both had the same high card and I had a better low). Then the very next hand one of the cpus went blind all in before the flop and got a royal flush. I have played poker for many years and I've never seen anyone get a royal flush before, getting it blind is ridiculous. I played one tournament where I lost 9 showdowns in a row where my "chances" were over 75% before the flop.

    Why would anyone ever want to play a poker game that cheats? What is wrong with you, telltale?

    I have the same problem. What is worse is Glados being so annoying and dealing horribly. I mean even when you have a good hand she still robs one by choosing the lower hand. Man I am starting to think this game was definitely not worth it. There comes a point where the humor and allure of playing poker with the characters becomes annoyingly repetitive. Even though this game isn't expensive I think it could have been done a whoooole lot better. Poker is a mind game and you play the players all the time not the cards you just use the cards as weapons. With bad deals and characters playing one style of play then another it just impossible to read them and hope the dealer shows up. By the way the unlocks were not even worth it. Would rather just buy the gearbox addons for my toons.

  • @Panda 340QM said: I have the same problem. What is worse is Glados being so annoying and dealing horribly. I mean even when you have a good hand she still robs one by choosing the lower hand. Man I am starting to think this game was definitely not worth it. There comes a point where the humor and allure of playing poker with the characters becomes annoyingly repetitive. Even though this game isn't expensive I think it could have been done a whoooole lot better. Poker is a mind game and you play the players all the time not the cards you just use the cards as weapons. With bad deals and characters playing one style of play then another it just impossible to read them and hope the dealer shows up. By the way the unlocks were not even worth it. Would rather just buy the gearbox addons for my toons.

    Uh, GLaDOS doesn't actually affect gameplay. She taunts the players no matter who has what cards, she isn't hinting at anything. That could be part of your problem.

Add Comment