User Avatar Image

The Xbox One

posted by Darth Marsden on - last edited - Viewed by 7.7K users

Little surprised no-one's talking about the XBox One, which was officially announced today.

And has a stupid name.

Really, there's a lot we could say about this console, but I'll just bullet-point the best bits.

- It's called the XBox One. Even though it's actually the third. *sigh*
- The controller is extremely similar to the 360s, with a better D-Pad and higher Home button.
- It comes with an updated Kinect... that the console WILL NOT FUCTION WITHOUT.
- It won't be backwards compatible. With anything. 360 games, XBLA games, nothing. *facepalm*
- Playing a used game? You'll be charged a fee to do so.

In short - fail. The used games thing is perhaps the biggest kick in the teeth, and it's going to ruin this console.

EDIT: Oh, you're all talking about it in the "Whatever's On Your Mind" thread. Well, whatever.

687 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

@der_ketzer said: You are lucky!
    I get 180 kb/sek max.

I know. Because I care... :o

• More reasons not to buy this. 24/7 internet required.

• @Leplaya said: More reasons not to buy this. 24/7 internet required.

I really wouldn't care about that. What I really care about is this always on thing that can scan the room and shoot lasers. The DRM applications they will use through that thing scare me. A lot.

• I get the feeling that if the online requirement isn't removed by launch, it'll be patched out within the first year.

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

@Gibbeynator said: I get the feeling that if the online requirement isn't removed by launch, it'll be patched out within the first year.

And implicitly say they were wrong for everyone to hear? I'd take that bet.

But only the lack of sales could bring them to do that. And, last we've heard, while the PS4 will be crowned king without an inch of a doubt, the Shitbox One will still lead a princely, revered life in the living rooms of millions of fans.

Microsoft's DRM IS online verification. They can't take that back and be without DRM at all. Publishers would lynch them. All that precious account family friends resale update cloud crap only works with continuous internet activation.

• the article did say believe it or don't

if you don't login / go online within 24 hours it will only stop offline play.

kotaku said something about allowing 24 hours of offline play time with each 24 hour online connection that way the game is kept uptodate as if they expect alot of buggy games/services..

and to darth i could of summerized but some people may not of believed me so just put the links up

@Vainamoinen said: And implicitly say they were wrong for everyone to hear? I'd take that bet.

But only the lack of sales could bring them to do that. And, last we've heard, while the PS4 will be crowned king without an inch of a doubt, the Shitbox One will still lead a princely, revered life in the living rooms of millions of fans.

also known as devout xbox/microsoft fanbois / fan gals..

or just anyone with money to burn who always have the 'next new thing' to be 'cool' and hip...

zero punctuation also did a next gen vid.

reckon it's pretty accurate :P

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/7417-Next-Gen-Buyers-Guide

and for those wondering about their internet speed use this ;)

http://www.speedtest.net/

• Alright, here's the thing. From what I've understood, retailers have to sell the games at a ridiculous high price because publishers already take a huge chunk of the income of each copy. This is why some retailers also have a used games section, because that way they could actually break even.

So yes, in the end this used games DRM will actually hurt retail in the long run.

• @ryannumber1gamer said: Sorry but no. I disagree completely.

How exactly? That was a fact, not an opinion. It CAN be worse. They COULD just block all used games and call it a day, at least there are options.

basically say "HOW DARE YOU NOT GIVE US MONEY FOR GAMES! WELL NOW YOU MUST PAY FOR A NEW GAME FOR A PRE-OWNED ONE."

Not true, Microsoft has not made fees mandatory. "Microsoft does not charge a platform fee to retailers, publishers, or consumers for enabling transfer of these games.". If there is a fee, it isn't there fault.

Also tell me something Microsoft. What happens if the game is pre-owned
    And very badly scratched that it gets to where you can buy the license for the game but then it could freeze or something due to the scratches. Well I guess that's a shame because I basically payed the price of a new game to get a broken one.

That's your fault, not Microsofts.

Also the exclusives knowing Microsoft will most likely be mostly ether shooters or Kinect games. Even the rumoured BK game sounds like another game that will shit on the greatness of what Rare once was. But the worse of it is that it needs to connect every 24 hours. Tell me something Microsoft, if my Internet goes off, what else am I going to do? Play games of course but i guess that's too bad and the console becomes a paperweight.

My internet is incredibly unreliable, and it has NEVER had a moment where I was without it for 24 hours. connecting once every 24 hours is NOT a big deal IMHO. I find it MUCH better than Steam which checks for online everytime you log in and then locks you out of offline mode until you are online(why?). At least here I have some time to play unlike Steam.

Personally, this could have been worse. Maybe it is because I'm used to Steam which essentially is a used game attack, but this really could've been worse. Still going PS4 of course.

• All I really want to do with this machine is figure out how to get the Kinect to make me Earl Grey tea. That's it.

I'd even be satisfied with a cup. I mean, I've got access to a 3D printer right now, I could get that to make me a super hard plastic cup...

Like, can you program in new commands for it? I could take or leave all that teevee-sports-games crap, but having a nice voice sensor to turn stuff on would be pretty sweet.

Yeah, I'm kinda upset about used games, but given I haven't really bought a new used game ever, it doesn't effect me that much? I mean, the main thing is that the Xbone will be a fossil as soon as Microsoft stops supporting it which is the really crappy part of the deal.

• @Gman5852 said:
    My internet is incredibly unreliable, and it has NEVER had a moment where I was without it for 24 hours. connecting once every 24 hours is NOT a big deal IMHO. I find it MUCH better than Steam which checks for online everytime you log in and then locks you out of offline mode until you are online(why?). At least here I have some time to play unlike Steam.

There was a large stretch of time where our house wasn't physically able to have internet access at all, and when we did it was definitely not enough to justify connecting the video game consoles and downloading things. This is in a pretty well-populated area in a fairly normal-sized city. Soldiers overseas also don't have internet access. Why should either be prohibited from playing games because Microsoft thinks this is a good idea?

I seem to recall being able to play Steam games offline during this period, though. Not sure if my memory's hazy.

Add Comment