User Avatar Image

The Xbox One

posted by Darth Marsden on - last edited - Viewed by 7K users

Little surprised no-one's talking about the XBox One, which was officially announced today.

And has a stupid name.

Really, there's a lot we could say about this console, but I'll just bullet-point the best bits.

- It's called the XBox One. Even though it's actually the third. *sigh*
- The controller is extremely similar to the 360s, with a better D-Pad and higher Home button.
- It comes with an updated Kinect... that the console WILL NOT FUCTION WITHOUT.
- It won't be backwards compatible. With anything. 360 games, XBLA games, nothing. *facepalm*
- Playing a used game? You'll be charged a fee to do so.

In short - fail. The used games thing is perhaps the biggest kick in the teeth, and it's going to ruin this console.

EDIT: Oh, you're all talking about it in the "Whatever's On Your Mind" thread. Well, whatever.

687 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • The best thing you will read about this discussion today.

iBzvb2JSpQNRM.gif

• @allaboardfilms said: I seem to recall being able to play Steam games offline during this period, though. Not sure if my memory's hazy.

No it isn't. If you set it to offline mode and the game was started online at least once there is no problem. Some games also don't use Steam as DRM at all and will run without it.

Depending if they patched it out at the time or enabled it again Steam will also offer to go into offline mode when there is no connection. But that really depends on the version and they change that behaviour all the time back and forth.:(

@Daishy: That gif was made after the press conference and is sooooo good.

• That GIF is a tad outdated (you can turn the Kinect off, the pre-owned fees, etc) but it's still awesome.

• Oh, Mr Ramsey. Will I ever stop loving you and your vitriolic insults.

...no. No, I don't think I will.

• @Gman5852 said: Not true, Microsoft has not made fees mandatory. "Microsoft does not charge a platform fee to retailers, publishers, or consumers for enabling transfer of these games.". If there is a fee, it isn't there fault.

Its basically like what Angry Joe said, While Microsoft is not forcing it, they have built the console to be able to block Pre-Owned games without paying a fee and that Microsoft seems to be trying to push the blame for this on game developers. Even if this is the case, I doubt that many game developers will not make you pay for pre-owned games. There's plenty of companies that are greedy like EA who for some examples, basically made FIFA 13 for Wii a complete clone of FIFA 12 except with a few changes in teams. So do you really think EA will decide to make their games that are pre-owned to be played without a fee.

• @ryannumber1gamer said: Its basically like what Angry Joe said, While Microsoft is not forcing it, they have built the console to be able to block Pre-Owned games without paying a fee and that Microsoft seems to be trying to push the blame for this on game developers. Even if this is the case, I doubt that many game developers will not make you pay for pre-owned games. There's plenty of companies that are greedy like EA who for some examples, basically made FIFA 13 for Wii a complete clone of FIFA 12 except with a few changes in teams. So do you really think EA will decide to make their games that are pre-owned to be played without a fee.

No, I don't think EA will be kind to used sales. Because they already did that this year with the 360/PS3, consoles that did not have a used game block. Of course they will take advantage of when Microsoft does it for them. However, I do not blame Microsoft for that(I do for the 24-hour scan though, while better than steam's system and I still stand by that belief, it is still a very bad system). I blame the publishers for pushing it on both MS and Sony. Sony could have easily caved just as well as Microsoft. I'm glad they didn't and they will be the ones I go towards, but I am not putting blame to Microsoft for this when it is the publishers pushing all of this.(Plus there are plenty of other things to attack Microsoft with on the Xbox One anyway)

• If that is true then all i can say is Microsoft is a piece of shit. They have a shit rip off features then they try to pay off developers to get a advantage. This just makes me think the Xbox One deserves to fail. They try to play off features that ANY console should have as something special. [sarcasm]Oh the Xbox One lets my friends and family play games when they are playing on your own Xbox One. Oh thanks Xbox One! Its never been done before except on every other system. [sarcasm]. But now they hit one of the lowest lows and pay off developers to not show off games.

Add Comment