User Avatar Image

The Writing Thread

posted by DAISHI on - last edited - Viewed by 1.4K users

Herein lies the Writing Thread! Usually I just post something brief and then allow the participants to engage one another, unshackled by rules like a meeting of Tea Partiers in a debate with Muslims.

However! I propose the following rules to the writing thread, and what this thread should be about.

1.) This thread should obviously be about your own writing.

Your post should be about one of the following things.
2.) A pitch. A story you're thinking about writing, ideas you're tossing around to solicit for feedback.

3.) Brief poetry can be posted in full. Just don't make your poetry a full length story.

4.) A short story you've written that you would like to post, in part. Since a short story can run 2000 to 5000 words, do not post in full. You may post sensible length excerpts, preceded by synopsis of that portion of the story for context.

5.) A long story or novel you've written that you'd like to post, in part. Since a novel can run from 80000 words to 120000 words or more, do not post in full. You may post a sensible length excerpt, preceded by synopsis of that portion of the story for context.

Things to avoid.
Don't get in a hissy fit about criticism. It's the only way to grow as a writer.

Don't just criticize to criticize. In other words, don't be a Debby Downer. List what you think a writer did well, in addition to criticism. Tone means a lot. Don't be overly negative in the tone of your criticism.

178 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • User Avatar Image
    Darth Marsden Moderator

I really should take a picture of my shelves now that they're all tidy and organised. Meh.

Oh, and mine are double-staked as well. Tucked behind all the other stuff is... Doctor Who DVDs/Audios.

• I only entered in the books I keep in my room. I also have five more bookcases in my house, all filled up.

• This is only the books I have on shelves in my room at my parents' house. I also have a bookcase full at my apartment and several boxes full on my floor. And a stack.

Also, to get an idea of scale... in the middle picture, that second shelf on the right bookcase? That's about forty-five Terry Pratchett books right there.

• I fucking hate Kindle and Nook and eBooks. I loved going to my local Borders store once a week to pick up a paperback, but now that that’s gone, I had to switch to Barnes and Noble, which is ten fucking miles from my house. I tell you, a day will come when no one reads actual books anymore and people have dedicated themselves to staring at a screen. I love being able to hold a book, to read it, to turn a page. Fuck technology with its need to ruin everything! Fuck it!

One other thing: I literally write every day, but I STILL haven’t been able to finish Telltale Murder Mystery part 1!

• I like some sorts of eBooks, generally rulebooks for tabletop RPGs, and textbooks, because I love having a search feature for reference.

But yeah, when it comes to reading for fun, I prefer to have something tangible. Because a book isn't just a collection of words, it's a collection of memories.

• User Avatar Image
    Darth Marsden Moderator

There really is something nice about having a physical object when reading. eBooks and such are convenient, but they also feel rather soulless. Books just... they just feel more real.

I haven't explained that very well, have I? Oh well, whatever.

• Actually, you hit in right on the head.

• On the flipside, I can get back into reading BECAUSE of eBooks and kindles and that.

(Books tend to be too bulky for me to lug around everywhere and I just don't have the space for them. eBooks however are handy. I'm currently reading a book on the history of Videogames. )

But I did recently purchase a physical book. A hardback of Clockwork Angels. Yeah they made a book inspired by Rush's latest album.
    (I'm kind of too afraid to read it though. I don't want to damage the book. I may see if I can apply for the eBook copy it claims it comes with, just so I can keep this lovely souvenir in pristine condition)

• I don't know how this turned from a writing thread into a reading thread, but here's my library, neatly divided into categories: http://www.librarything.com/catalog/Haggis

Also, I love e-books. Took some getting used to, but it's just so convenient, and for most plain-text works of fiction it's really no different from reading a physical book, unless the author had a very specific typeface and design in mind.

• Don’t those things go hand in hand? Reading and writing, I mean.

Add Comment