User Avatar Image

The "whatever's on your mind" thread

posted by GuruGuru214 on - last edited - Viewed by 182.8K users

One of the things that's great about this forum is its randomness. Well, this is the epitome of it: a thread for whatever random thought happens to be passing through your mind.

For example, I've just been struck by the most random craving for Taco Bell nachos.

38.4K Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • By the way, the story is chock full of references to forumers and to video games.

For instance: A portrait of St. Edward the Confessor? A stuffed monkey smoking a cigar? A book on Finnish folklore? A bad comedian?

• @Noname215 said: By the way, the story is chock full of references to forumers and to video games.

For instance: A portrait of St. Edward the Confessor? A stuffed monkey smoking a cigar? A book on Finnish folklore? A bad comedian?

Hehe. Awesome.

St. Edward the Confessor? = Yours truly

A stuffed monkey smoking a cigar? = Coolsome

A book on Finnish folklore? = Vainamoinen

A bad comedian? = HEY! Why am I being referenced twice?! :p

• @St_Eddie said:
    A bad comedian? = HEY! Why am I being referenced twice?! :p

I think the bad comedian is Fawful because it's in his sig.

• [quote]There a sort of strange psychological response where people feel the needs to punish what isn't "normal", rather than fix the root cause.

Take bullying in this case. Sometimes teachers and peers will try to stop the bully at first, but he/she keeps doing it and after a while this status becomes the "normal", and thereby cannot be fixed. The same holds true for the victim. Sometimes people will sympathize and try to help at first, but after a while become acclimated to that person being bullied as "normal" routine life.

So the victim finally decides to stand up for themselves and fights back. Suddenly he/she is acting in a way that teachers/peers interpret as "abnormal" and will often face harsher consequences (punishment, alienation) than the bully, because the victim responded "abnormally" to the bully's "normal" behavior, regardless of right and wrong or justification.

Pretty fucked up, but sadly quite true.[/quote]

[quote]Yep. And thanks for reminding me of this:

When a student bullies those who do not fit into the mainstream, they are carrying out the work of the school and society by enforcing conformity and social norms. In other words, bullying is a way to pressure kids that don't fit in because of their style, dress, or speech, for example. This may be one reason teachers and school officials do not intervene. Lack of intervention helps maintain social homeostasis (the status quo). School conformity is an avenue to safety and security because it is predictable and easier to deal with it. Bullying helps to limit student behaviors that are not predictable, are not the norm, and therefore pose a potential safety and security risk. While bullying is about power over classmates, the power is not the consummate goal, but rather the power is used to get students to conform and be predictable.

Some students say they bully because having a sense of power over their classmates makes them feel good, that they are better than others which impresses their friends. These same kids will express some sadness about the victim, but then turn around and blame the victim because they are annoying and therefore bring it on themselves. While some studies show that the bully is deficient in social skills, others link bullying to popularity, attractiveness, school leadership, and social intelligence. For example, sixth grade boys who bully are popular boys.

If a bully is a star student because of athletic prowess, academic elitism, or some other school star ability, he is less likely to be disciplined and criticized because, as mentioned earlier, he is carrying out the work of a school by ensuring students adhere to social norms. The bully evokes fear in her classmates which is one avenue of control.[/quote]

Oh. Oh. Okay.

HNNNNNNNGRRRARGH!!!!!

I want to fucking...oh....oh my holy shit I am dying here....oh....I am so angry at this FUCKING BULLSHIT VICTIM BLAMING IN SCHOOLS!

• @Alcoremortis said: I think the bad comedian is Fawful because it's in his sig.

I think that I'll steal a picture from Coolsome for this (which in turn was stolen from 'The Simpsons')...

thatsthejokex.jpg

• User Avatar Image
    Jennifer Moderator

So, I got my glasses. But I still have double vision. :(

So, now the doctors think it might be a brain-related problem. So, I had to get 15 blood tests taken (needing 8 vials of blood) to see if there's evidence of a tumor on my pituitary gland.

• What I did I did with out choice.

• @coolsome said: What I did I did with out choice.

I know.

• In the name of peace and sanity.

• @coolsome said: In the name of peace and sanity.

But not in the name of coolsome!

This discussion has been closed.