User Avatar Image

The Kickstarter thread

posted by Darth Marsden on - last edited - Viewed by 9.0K users

Since there's probably going to be a fair few Kickstarter projects that aren't done by Tim Schafer, I thought it might be nice to start a separate thread for all the little games on Kickstarter that don't get as much exposure.

For example: Feeble's Fable: The Legend of Runes by Atomic Chimp Games. Another point-and-click adventure game, but this one is going for more of a cute and charming feel. It definitely looks interesting, though they've nowhere near the backing they need. :(

And another: Americana Dawn by one guy, Max K. Lambert. It's a freeware retro-styled RPG about the French & Indian War and the American War for Independence. Kickstarter page is a little bare (he doesn't actually say what he needs the money for, for one), but it looks like an awesome game.

So let's see what other Kickstarter projects you think is worth shining a little light on!

1.1K Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • So... apparently that practical effects movie I mentioned earlier just met it's goal. Even I was surprised this time. I mean, really, 100K in 3 days. Crazy.

• @Vainamoinen said: Fund this one please.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/315061806/nelly-cootalot-the-fowl-fleet-retro-pirate-adventu

Or at least find the pitch video a stroke of genius.

Hello! Nelly Cootalot is my project and I just found this little plug from a couple of weeks ago. Thanks for the support!

Of course, back then I didn't know I was going to be competing with Massive Chalice and Armikrog! But that's life! (And I backed those campaigns anyway...) We're still alive and heading towards 2/3 of our goal, so thanks again,

- Alasdair.

• @Johro said: So... apparently that practical effects movie I mentioned earlier just met it's goal. Even I was surprised this time. I mean, really, 100K in 3 days. Crazy.

Wow! That's an impressive comeback. I've seen this kind of turnaround happen, but it's not common.

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

@AliBK said: Hello! Nelly Cootalot is my project and I just found this little plug from a couple of weeks ago. Thanks for the support!

Of course, back then I didn't know I was going to be competing with Massive Chalice and Armikrog! But that's life! (And I backed those campaigns anyway...) We're still alive and heading towards 2/3 of our goal, so thanks again,

- Alasdair.

Welcome Alasdair!

And, anytime. Massive Chalice could have waited a bit until you're fully funded, but I can confirm that your project is still very much on the radar of my German adventure forum. This one just has to succeed. If it doesn't, we will hold Tim Schafer personally responsible.

Don't forget to add a PayPal option as soon as the goal is met... because at the time, that's the only way I can get in Nelly's boat as well.

• If Bill is pushed out of game design because of a Kickstarter failure I'll be pretty sad.

• http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1840293109/harvest-0

HARVEST is a Graphic Adventure similar to Snatcher, Phoenix Wright.

This is my project and we could use some support!

• @Secret Fawful said: If Bill is pushed out of game design because of a Kickstarter failure I'll be pretty sad.

Yeah, that would be sad. He seems like a really nice and hardworking guy. From the recent AdventureGamers.com interview I got the impression that he wouldn't quit making games if the Kickstarter fails though. He's still working on AVS2 and he will get it done, it just means that he can't work full time on game design, and will have to do it in his spare time while having other work to pay the bills. It seems that he's very passionate about making games, so I don't think it would be the last we'd seen of him as a game designer. The Kickstarter seems to have lost pace the last few days despite of the new tiers, so it's not looking so hot at the moment.

• Seriously, F!!! Gilbert, Bill and all these other old men. YOU'RE OLD. If you haven't made a nest egg for yourself in the last 20 years of making games then sod off. MAKE WAY for a new generation of game developers. Cave Story was shit, Vampyre Story was shit, TIME FOR SOMETHING new and even if it's shit it's no worse than the shit you pumped out in the last decade.

• Are you saying that the fact that guys like Ron Gilbert and Bill Tiller are still making games are actively prohibiting a new generation of game developers from making games? Personally I think it's great that we've got a good blend of old and new talent pumping out a shitload of games these days. Of course everything won't be for me, but I rarely buy games from AAA developers and most of the games I buy are from unestablished developers even if I still appreciate the games made by veterans like Gilbert, Schafer and to a lesser extent Tiller.

• Cave Story is NOT shit. It's really very good.

And AVS isn't shit, it just has a mediocre story and a mediocre lead voice actress (who btw is better at a faux French accent than the new voice actress is.)

I don't know what's got you all worked up, Daishi, but Al Lowe hasn't made a game in a long time either and yet I hear LSL:R looks really good.

It has nothing to do with how old they are. I don't think Mike Stemmle was that old when he made Escape from Monkey Island, and that game is bad on a number of levels.

EDIT: yep, Mike was only 33 when EMI was released (he's 46 now.) Is that old?

Granted, Bill isn't the best at game design as AVS is just okay and GPoVI is a Monkey Island ripoff with too much unexplained back story. But that doesn't mean Al Lowe, Ron Gilbert, Tim Schafer or any other old school game designers should go jump in a lake.

Add Comment