User Avatar Image

The Kickstarter thread

posted by Darth Marsden on - last edited - Viewed by 14.8K users

Since there's probably going to be a fair few Kickstarter projects that aren't done by Tim Schafer, I thought it might be nice to start a separate thread for all the little games on Kickstarter that don't get as much exposure.

For example: Feeble's Fable: The Legend of Runes by Atomic Chimp Games. Another point-and-click adventure game, but this one is going for more of a cute and charming feel. It definitely looks interesting, though they've nowhere near the backing they need. :(

And another: Americana Dawn by one guy, Max K. Lambert. It's a freeware retro-styled RPG about the French & Indian War and the American War for Independence. Kickstarter page is a little bare (he doesn't actually say what he needs the money for, for one), but it looks like an awesome game.

So let's see what other Kickstarter projects you think is worth shining a little light on!

1.1K Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I'm confused. Cave Story WAS made by new blood. In Japan, even, where a lack of individuaism and entrepreneurial spirit means a lot less new blood than we have.

• @Chyron8472 said: Cave Story is NOT shit. It's really very good.

It wouldn't surprise me. I've yet to play it but I've come across a few people who slagged off 'Deathspank' and that game was great!

@Chyron8472 said: ...And AVS isn't shit, it just has a mediocre story and a mediocre lead voice actress (who btw is better at a faux French accent than the new voice actress is.)

Agreed. Also, there's too much dialogue but it's absolutely NOT a "shit" game (from an objective point of view).

• @Rather Dashing said: I'm confused. Cave Story WAS made by new blood. In Japan, even, where a lack of individuaism and entrepreneurial spirit means a lot less new blood than we have.

He meant The Cave.

• Now now, The Cave wasn't bad. It just had about 67,486 times more backtracking than was needed.

Cave Story, on the other hand, is fucking amazing and anyone who argues is clearly a communist and should be shot on sight. Preferably in the cock.

Back on topic, here's the list of projects I've backed. Italics means that I've received the finished product.

Double Fine Adventure (aka: Broken Age)
    Make Leisure Suit Larry Come Again! (aka: Leisure Suit Larry: Reloaded)
    Shadowrun Returns
    Grim Dawn
    Echoes of Eternia
    Boot Hill Heroes
    Erythia: Shattered Dreams
    Unemployment Quest
    Jane Janeson's Pinkerton Road Studio (aka: Moebius)
    SpaceVenture
    Carmageddon: Reincarnation
    Tex Murphy: Project Fedora
    Spate
    Reincarnation: The Root of all Evil
    Paper Knight's Story
    Kingdom RPG
    Lily Looking Through
    Quest for Infamy
    The Crystal Catacombs
    Jack Houston and the Necronauts
    Brawl in the Family: Volume I
    Project Giana (aka: Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams)
    Broken Sword: The Serpent's Curse
    Project Eternity
    Rising Sun: Episode I
    One Per Person
    Bill Berends: In My Dreams I Can Fly
    ArmorClass10 T-Shirts
    Ancient Dystopia
    Kick-Heart
    Learn Game Programming
    Kingdom: The Clans
    Pier Solar HD
    Rainfall: The Sojourn
    Hero-U: Rogue to Redemption
    Star Trek: Renegades
    Don't Quit Ya Day Job
    My Life as a Video Game
    Barkley 2
    Radio the Universe
    Cryamore
    Dreamfall Chapters
    Mage's Initiation
    Days of Dawn
    Whispering Willows
    Super Ubi Land
    Hero - Monster Girl Quest 3D
    Ominous
    Divinity: Original Sin
    Shovel Knight
    Chasm
    A.N.N.E.
    Energy Hook
    Nelly Cootalot: The Fowl Fleet
    AR-K
    Armikrog
    A Hat in Time

I haven't listed the ones that weren't successful or were cancelled, because this list would be a fair bit longer as a result. Looking at this though, I'm stunned how many projects I've backed!

• @Darth Marsden - Glad to see that you're a fellow backer of Project Fedora. Out of curiosity, did you pledge enough to have your name in the credits too?

• @St_Eddie said: @Darth Marsden - Glad to see that you're a fellow backer of Project Fedora. Out of curiosity, did you pledge enough to have your name in the credits too?

Ah, don't think so. I did get a signed script though!

BlackSunAscending.jpg

• @St_Eddie said: @Darth Marsden - Glad to see that you're a fellow backer of Project Fedora. Out of curiosity, did you pledge enough to have your name in the credits too?

I will be though.

• User Avatar Image
    Jennifer Moderator

@St_Eddie said: @Darth Marsden - Glad to see that you're a fellow backer of Project Fedora. Out of curiosity, did you pledge enough to have your name in the credits too?

I did. Most of the ones I've backed will have their ending credits graced by my name. ;)

The folks at MobyGames are going to have a fun time inscribing the credits for all these Kickstarter games. :D

• Holy shit, Marsden! That's a lot of projects!

Here's the list of games that I backed.

1. Double Fine Adventure (a.k.a. Broken Age)

Yeah. That's about it.

• @Darth Marsden said: Ah, don't think so. I did get a signed script though!

BlackSunAscending.jpg

Ah yes, I remember you posting about that. I have two words for you... "very" and "jealous".

Did you get 'round to reading it. If so, what was it like? How would it have played out on the big screen?

@Darth Marsden said: I will be though.

emperorpalpatiney.jpg"Good. Gooood."

@Darth Marsden said: I did. Most of the ones I've backed will have their ending credits graced by my name. ;)

Sadly I only pledged $15 for 'Broken Age' so 'Project Fedora' will be the only title I have my name attached to. Still, that's pretty awesome. When I sat down to play 'Under a Killing Moon' as a 12 year old kid, if somebody told me that in 20 years time I would be playing a sequel with my name in the credits, I never would have believed them.

Man, Kickstarter is such a brilliant concept!

Add Comment