User Avatar Image

The Xbox One

posted by Darth Marsden on - last edited - Viewed by 7.7K users

Little surprised no-one's talking about the XBox One, which was officially announced today.

And has a stupid name.

Really, there's a lot we could say about this console, but I'll just bullet-point the best bits.

- It's called the XBox One. Even though it's actually the third. *sigh*
- The controller is extremely similar to the 360s, with a better D-Pad and higher Home button.
- It comes with an updated Kinect... that the console WILL NOT FUCTION WITHOUT.
- It won't be backwards compatible. With anything. 360 games, XBLA games, nothing. *facepalm*
- Playing a used game? You'll be charged a fee to do so.

In short - fail. The used games thing is perhaps the biggest kick in the teeth, and it's going to ruin this console.

EDIT: Oh, you're all talking about it in the "Whatever's On Your Mind" thread. Well, whatever.

687 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • At the end of the day, I like games. And yes, the XBone has some interesting exclusives that I'd like to play. So eventually, I will no doubt pick one up, just like I've picked up (almost) every other console with games that have interested me. I picked up an XBox Classic for one game for christ's sake, and it didn't even turn out to be all that (it was Galleon, since I'm sure you're curious).

So yeah, I'll pick up an XBone at some point.

That point being some five years down the line, obviously.

• @Darth Marsden said: That point being some five years down the line, obviously.

Good luck finding the games at a good price then. You know: no used games but limited shelf-space. And Ebay can be a horrible place to buy stuff that no longer is sold elsewhere.

• Here's Angry Joe interviewing Major Nelson

Not exactly a good interview, but an interesting one.
    Something interesting was the question of "What if publishers don't want all of the DRM and restrictions that Xbox One has?", which got the answer "If there are publishers that want things differently than what we have set, then we will gladly work with them to find a solution". Publishers could possibly shut down the Xbox One's DRM, at the same time the PS4 can have publishers possibly turn on their own DRM... interesting.

• It sorta pissed me off how the guy kept trying to talk over AJ :/

Edit:It pisses me off even more how much an asshole this guy acts to AJ. ''Are you on the development team? then i don't think you can say its simple'' Ugh.

• @ryannumber1gamer said: It sorta pissed me off how the guy kept trying to talk over AJ :/

It felt more of a debate than an interview. It wasn't a good debate, but it did bring some new light onto the Xbox One.

• Certainly an interesting 'interview'.

• Xbox One is the future? HA HA HA. That's far far far from the truth. PS4 is the future, Lets you play offline, no pre-owned games BS,More powerful that Xbox Zero,great exclusives.

• @ryannumber1gamer said: Xbox One is the future? HA HA HA. That's far far far from the truth. PS4 is the future, Lets you play offline, no pre-owned games BS,More powerful that Xbox Zero,great exclusives.

I'd say he was half right. Digital is for sure the future, and has many advantages over retail(unless you are Nintendo where digital is tied to a console and not an account). At the same time, digital flat out kills the used game market. This appears to be what all 3 companies are doing. Pushing to from retail to digital. Xbox One discs are essentially install discs for digital and nothing more(based off of what we know anyway).

Honestly, the system Microsoft has is essentially Steam for consoles. The big issue IMHO is the 24 hour checks/restricting the nations that can use Xbox One.(which I thought was better than steam, but it appears their offline mode finally works. I've always had to be online for offline to work until now.)

• Guys the microsoft luring ppl from Wii U was real!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKI5QzPYP9k&feature=youtu.be

well attempted luring anyway.

• @Gman5852 said: Digital is for sure the future, and has many advantages over retail(unless you are Nintendo where digital is tied to a console and not an account).

A good number of us disagree completely.

Add Comment