User Avatar Image

The Xbox One

posted by Darth Marsden on - last edited - Viewed by 6.4K users

Little surprised no-one's talking about the XBox One, which was officially announced today.

And has a stupid name.

Really, there's a lot we could say about this console, but I'll just bullet-point the best bits.

- It's called the XBox One. Even though it's actually the third. *sigh*
- The controller is extremely similar to the 360s, with a better D-Pad and higher Home button.
- It comes with an updated Kinect... that the console WILL NOT FUCTION WITHOUT.
- It won't be backwards compatible. With anything. 360 games, XBLA games, nothing. *facepalm*
- Playing a used game? You'll be charged a fee to do so.

In short - fail. The used games thing is perhaps the biggest kick in the teeth, and it's going to ruin this console.

EDIT: Oh, you're all talking about it in the "Whatever's On Your Mind" thread. Well, whatever.

687 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I think we can all agree that an all-digital future is probably going to happen.

It's just not going to happen yet, and Microsoft's attempts to plunge head-first into it is misguided (at best).

• Yeah, this Xbone debacle has turned me around on my opinion of WiiU's tiny little amount of hard drive space.

Would I rather: a) Have my current-gen console games on disc and, barring possible scratches to the disc, be able to do with them whatever I dang well please;

or b) have all my games already on the console, relieving myself from having to disc-swap (which I like about Steam and my PSN games), and yet if my internet goes down or Microsoft's servers go down, within a day my whole console will be unusable?

I was indifferent to the WiiU at first, but you know, I would certainly buy a WiiU before an XBone.

• @Chyron8472 said: Yeah, this Xbone debacle has turned me around on my opinion of WiiU's tiny little amount of hard drive space.

Would I rather: a) Have my current-gen console games on disc and, barring possible scratches to the disc, be able to do with them whatever I dang well please;

or b) have all my games already on the console, relieving myself from having to disc-swap (which I like about Steam and my PSN games), and yet if my internet goes down or Microsoft's servers go down, within a day my whole console will be unusable?

I was indifferent to the WiiU at first, but you know, I would certainly buy a WiiU before an XBone.

Ah but in the long run, the WiiU turns out to be more capable even in that, because you can always increase the HDD space you need via an external drive.

(So if Nintendo do have saving data to a drive to speed up loading times, it ends up being a much better option than the Xbone's offering)

• Sounds like Microsoft is officially planning on removing the 24 hour check in. So, if you don't mind waiting until the Xbox One is completely defunct in 8 or 9 years and the Xbox One 360 is available, you'll be able to get an Xbox One with no online requirements.

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

@Gibbeynator said: Sounds like Microsoft is officially planning on removing the 24 hour check in. So, if you don't mind waiting until the Xbox One is completely defunct in 8 or 9 years and the Xbox One 360 is available, you'll be able to get an Xbox One with no online requirements.

So Microsoft would finally accept that I bought a game of theirs after having asked me every day for 8 to 9 years if I really really did?

• @coolsome said: Guys the microsoft luring ppl from Wii U was real!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKI5QzPYP9k&feature=youtu.be

well attempted luring anyway.

Got burried on last page and I arrogantly want people to see.

• @Gibbeynator said: Sounds like Microsoft is officially planning on removing the 24 hour check in.

He didn't say that in that interview. I don't know what he said to make you think that.

He said nothing about removing the 24-hour check-in. All he said was that the infrastructure is designed to be flexible, and that the majority of the world is online and so the XBone is meant for those people who are online. Further, he said that not having access to TV-integration and such is a content provider problem, not a problem with the XBone itself (though he never mentioned the region locks it will have at launch).

He also said that while they would not officially plan to cut people off from their games at the end of the XBone's official support period, it's also too early to talk about what happens at the console's end when it's only just begun (a sentiment that I completely disagree with.)

Considering that the Original XBox's games are no longer supported, you bet your ass that they'll leave XBone customers out in the cold even though they won't admit to it right now.

• it's not financially viable to support games after they have been out for a decade...it's not exactly microsofts fault entirely the games makers them selves are the ones doing the work on games..case in point EA shut down servers for games after a few years so only local matches/console based hosting is possible army of two had it's servers shut down and i think tiger woods was another.

And on the 360 epic said they won't put in horde mode in gears judgment as it would cost too much and would be very large dlc pack...

lazy fuckers imo... we pay them for loads of stuff yet they still complain..yet when we complain for not get our monies worth.. they mostly ignore us or give us one or two freebies as if thats enough...

for ps4 fanboi's also as kind of an xbox fanboi i still lol'd
    girl = ps4

boy = xbone
    20130513005335K.gif

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

@Tomi021 said: [QUOTE=Vainamoinen;802164]Announcing the partnership with CDP, but "Poland not included"?
    No Slovakia, Czech Republic, Hungaria, Romania, Turkey? Portugal? Greece?? :eek:

Especially PORTUGAL :mad:[/QUOTE]

You know, it's funny. If you buy an Xbox One and enjoy it for a few years, then - job requirement or whatever - have to move into another country which isn't in Microsoft's tree house club, you can essentially throw away not only all the games you've bought, but also the entire hardware. Just out the window, doesn't work any more. As similar as the Xbox DRM system is to Steam, at least I don't have to throw away my entire computer should I happen to get a job in Poland...

Add Comment